Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - w/e 12/13/08 (Read 483 times)

Hey, I'll pitch in $5 towards Joes 5x7.
    Give us your address, Joe. I promise we'll only send $$. We won't come looking for you, lurking in the shadows of your home, on the trails. You won't have to worry if someone is following you. Nope, we won't bother you at all. And if you're wondering - Yes, I am at work. And no, I'm getting absolutely nothing done today.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I have 5 dolla ---do I hear 10---now 15--- whoooos gonna give me 20 do I hear 20

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Nice Arla, thanks a lot! BTW, you don't have to remind me, because it's as simple as "ABC". As in: Anybody But Cowboys (sorry Evryday)
        OK folks, I can practically see the new Cowboy's temple boondogle stadium from our house. I'm not a huge football fan, but hubby is not a happy camper when they lose Angry. Nor is most of the rest of the population around here. So in the interest of marital harmony and reduced road rage, I gotta give it up for the Cowboys. Evryday, I'm with you pal!
        Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Ha! You guys really crack me up!! No, really, and in a scary kind of way...... Ok here's something serious.Those of us that are parents often wonder why we pound and pound and try some more to pound some goodness and sensibilty into our kids, when suddenly,you realized it worked. I came home from work yesterday and found out that our two boys , Kyle 24,and Chris 19 had done something remarkable. We are lucky enough to live on the water here in the town of Brick.We live on the Metedeconk River which leads to the bay,which leads to the ocean.Outside our back door looking east, the river is about a quarter mile wide. Looking west where it branches, about 500yds.It averages about 8-10 ft deep and this time of year is about 40*f. So it's about 5pm and just got dark outside.The boys were working on a computer on the (enclosed) back porch ,DW was a short distance away on the living room floor, wrapping Christmas presents. First it was Kyle, "Holy Sh!t"!! then Chris, "Holy Sh!t"! then DW gets up to look, "Holy Sh!t" !!! A 34ft powerboat was out back, west side ,about 300yds away. It had just had a large explosion that blew the back engine cover off.The next thing they see is the operator of the boat diving off the front just as another even larger explosion went off,fully engulfing the boat in fire ,with flames about 30ft in the air! DW jumped to the phone to call 911.Chris went right out back and started dragging our canoe towards the dock .Kyle went back to the shed and grabbed the paddles and life jackets.The boys met at the dock and were off. DW watched as the boys were silhouetted by what now had become a large fireball.There were 4 explosions in all.We later found out that the guy had just put 200gals of gas in the boat! Anyway,the boys reach him and the first thing is they get a life jacket on him. He's 36, a big guy, 6'3", about 260lbs.Layers of heavy wet clothes.He's really struggling to stay afloat.The boys were smart enough to know that there's no way to get him onboard without flipping the canoe so Kyle paddled and Chris locked the guy's arm over the side and they dragged him in. DW was waiting with blankets at the dock and Mark ( the lucky boat guy) was able to walk into the house and warmup until the cops and EMS arrived.He was very appreciative towards the boys but kind of in shock as well.He spent most of the night in the hospital but is ok today. His wife called today and balled talked to Kyle. Apparently they have a couple of kids themselves. She had been down the river onshore watching (as many were because of the siize of the fire) in horror as the boat burned.She said Mark told her he was thinking that he was about to drown within sight of his house and wife. There's a small article here http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/brick_man_escapes_serious_inju.html but it was written shortly after with little details. (please notice also,the snarky remark at the very bottom)There just so happened to be a 3 county wide blackout last night( not our county but close by) and I think that's why there wasn't much news about it. I have not stopped telling our boys how proud I am of them and what a gift they gave not only to Mark but to themselves.It's something that they'll carry with them forever. Thanks for letting me share that.I'm one very proud Pappa !!! Smile

Joe - You have every right to be proud. Crow all you want! Your boys more than likely saved that man's life, and it's the example you have led over the years that helped them make the instant decision to put themselves in harms way to help him. Me, I'd write a letter to the editor telling him just how proud you are. But that's me. Wink Okay, okay. Got my race report done: Desert High RR And here's my fashion statement for the run. And no, the white shoes are not my trail shoes. Just slips on I wear to and from a race:

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm not a huge football fan, but hubby is not a happy camper when they lose Angry. Nor is most of the rest of the population around here. So in the interest of marital harmony and reduced road rage, I gotta give it up for the Cowboys. Evryday, I'm with you pal!
              I get so wrapped up in the Cowboys thing.....my wife is on egg shells throughout the game. Not because she cares anything about football, but she knows how the outcome affects my mood. Or at least it used to...I'm alot better than I used to be... I've learned to control my emotions better and not let outside things affect my mood as much. My new mantra is "I want to feel good!" Dang, a few years back I was mad all season long! This year only half the season! Big grin I think I need a 12 step program. With Arla and Joe around here, I need and appreciate your support. Joe, that is an amazing thing your boys did. And yes, I agree with fattozig about how perhaps your examples over the years led to their actions. Please tell them thank you for me and also thank you to you for your boys. <note> get some pink gaitors </note> Smile
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Good morning......I posted earlier but it never showed up! Hmmmm.....maybe I was just imagining I did. Joe, what a great story! I think the article left out a few very important names. What great boys you have. Just when you think, they really just don't get it, they DO! Awesome race report Leslie.....you really did super well. Besides from the nausea, your stars were certainly in order that day. I say go for that 50k next year! By the way, you have nice legs, Smile and they are not THAT white! Gotta get to work......Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Jewels you are not losing it Wink, you must have clicked on Leslie's race report because there is a post showing up there. Smile Speaking of races, very good read Leslie and a nice stretch of running also. Cool that your dad got to see you run in comp. Holy Sh!t Joe I'll say it too, you should be proud of them boyz! My cowboys have been playing every night usually on ESPN 2, but they don't have the star on their helmets. Wink MTA GPS accuracy a couple links from the USTAF site. http://measure.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/89510622/m/9781065872 http://www.dukerdog.com/GPS_test.xls My contention is they are pretty darn accurate esp the x05 series on a clear day with good sky view but I haven't tested mine against a wheel, a tape, the radar in my sprayer or the high dollar gps in my tractor with subscription upgraded correction signal. Wink Still 0.25 on an 18 mile course is still "pretty close". Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Oh crap! Thanks Jim....I posted under Leslie's race report instead of here. Thank Gawd I'm not losing it. At least not yet anyway...... Jewels

flatland mountaineer

Oh crap! Thanks Jim....I posted under Leslie's race report instead of here. Thank Gawd I'm not losing it. At least not yet anyway...... Jewels
                      Smile your welcome, i do stuff like that all the time modified to change to a smile the other one looked like I was laughing, stoopid emoticons. MTA no run, Sad mrkts again Confused

Anybody......how do I post a link here? When I copy and try to paste, it doesn't have the underline. Jewels

jfa

Thanks guys for the compliments, it's hard not getting choked up about it. Just got a call from DW that Mark the boat owner and his wife are stopping by tonight. Should be a big sobfest but in a good way. They also have contacted the local paper.It would be great for our boys to get the additional gift of some more recognition for what they did.

Jewels - To post a link. There are six gray boxes above the smiley faces when posting. The second box from last has a world and what looks like a link from a chain. Click that and paste your URL (or whatever it's called) inside the [a] and [/a], only they'll be <> instead of [ ]. If you want to know how to put just the name of something as opposed to the whole link in there, email me at fatozzig at yahoo dot com. Put something identifiable in the subject box or I won't open it. And hey, thanks for the comment re the legs. First time in my life I've had decent looking legs. Yee haw! And in my vanity, I used a bit of self tanning stuff so that I wouldn't be so blindingly white. Smile Joe - I have some extra boxes of tissue if you think you'll be needing it. Wink I'm sure that family is very, very grateful. Evryday and Joe - It's the Raiders in our household, and let's just say the season ain't been a real happy one. Well, I guess you could say the last few seasons ain't been happy ones. The Hub has one of those things that goes in a trailer hitch and is has the Raiders emblem on it. My uncle in Bakersfield is a 49ers fan (poor guy). When we were down there this past weekend, we had to pull that out to tow the VW. My uncle, giggling like a little kid, duct taped the face of Raiders thing before chucking into the back of the truck. We'll have to find something to do with the 49ers, deface it, and then mail it to him. He'll think it's a hoot! Wilson failed to keep me irritated after I turned off my alarm, so I ended up oversleeping. Consequently, only had time for 3.25 miles (9:31 ap). It was a beautiful, crisp morning, and I was feeling so good, I wished I had time to go further. This weekend we're suppose to get rain, hail, possible Tstorms, and maybe even snow showers here in the coast. Shocked In the over 21 years I've lived here, we've only gotten snow on the coast twice. Will have to look into covering up a bunch of my plants. Okay, gotta get some work done before I head to the dentist for a partial crown. Later!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.php?bcpid=1370868150&bctid=3130509001 Thanks again Leslie.....now THIS is funny. My husbands been in the doghouse a couple of times when he shops by himself. I always encourage my girls to go with him to "help" him in anyway. Wink

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - that's such a neat story, you and your family, not to mention the other family, will always remember that! You've got some good kids there. Leslie - whoa! Talk about HiViz! White, red, lime green, HOT pink - that's some outfit! Great rr, too, especially with all the pics. How many minutes did you cut off your PR? Also, where do you get information on these trail runs? I'm starting to realize I'll need some new goals for the new year, and have always been curious about the trail runs...better find some hills around here... I'm feeling my weekend 20-miler now, which I expected...there always seems to be a delayed heavy-leg feeling that I get after a new distance or a higher mileage week. Might take the day off, might run a short 3 or 4... Arla

Ex runner