RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

btb1490

Steve, it's amazing that you were even able to run at all, given the way you were feeling. A 25 minute PR under those conditions really says that you were in great shape for this race, but it was unfortunate that you got sick beforehand. Those last couple of weeks before a marathon are tricky, you're coming off your hardest weeks of training, your body is tired and your resistence is low. A lot of people get sick right before the race. You really have to make a strong effort to get as much sleep as possible those last few weeks, pay attention to eating well and staying well hydrated. You'll get 'em next time!
      Steve! Great job - it may not have been what you wanted - but it is almost a half hour PR! That's awesome!
      DITTO this!! How are you feeling today??? Sorry I didn't wish you luck before hand ( had alot going and was in Florida and I SUCK). Congrats on finishing your second marathon and a nice PR!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Steve, it's amazing that you were even able to run at all, given the way you were feeling. A 25 minute PR under those conditions really says that you were in great shape for this race, but it was unfortunate that you got sick beforehand. Those last couple of weeks before a marathon are tricky, you're coming off your hardest weeks of training, your body is tired and your resistence is low. A lot of people get sick right before the race. You really have to make a strong effort to get as much sleep as possible those last few weeks, pay attention to eating well and staying well hydrated. You'll get 'em next time!
        Seond this!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I agree with those above. I can't believe you toed the line feeling like you were. Good for you. Tough conditions to run no doubt. Good for you. I too suffered from bad cramping at Columbus in Oct. It sucks. Hopefully you can sort it out for the next go round. Congratulations and way to work, dude!

Prophet!

thanks folks. I feel ok today, legs are sore but nothing too crazy. I'm starting to feel the cold symptoms coming back now, i'm hoping it won't sideline me for too long, anxious to get back to running. You are right Bob, the last few weeks are the one that i need to work on, particularly the eating well and getting sleep. Given that i was tapering, i did a whole lot more yardwork than i should have Smile . I will definitely check out the salt caps. I just am very cautious about stuff like that...it took me a long time to try out gels. what's next...well there is a marathon in March that i'm thinking about signing up, but not positive yet. I'm thinking that spring or summer marathon might be better for me given that its the time that i have the least chance of getting colds.

madness baby

aloha steve, i just found your report and it looks like you had a great race, especially considering you weren't feeling well. congrats on your second marathon! and hey, maybe i'll get to see you there next year. anyway, i hope you got rid of the cold and that you're feeling better! Smile
              deb

Prophet!

thanks deb. I hope to see you here soon too. The past two weeks have been pretty crazy with family here for my graduation. Did a 2.5 mile race on Saturday as part of a biathlon to help out this kid who needed a running partner. Ended up getting first in our combined age group, a nice little glass cup. The run wasn't that great though, i did the same pace as my 5K PR for a race 1 mile shorter, although i did just run a marathon the week before Smile . So far this week, 3 5-mile easy runs. Everything feels a bit rickety after today's run and i feel like i'm on the verge of another cold. It'll pass though, and spring is around the corner where i usually have the least amount of colds. Running plan the next few weeks/months - all easy runs at 140 - 145 HR, buildup to 50 mpw and find a summer marathon to train for. We'll see, last time i got to 50 i got hurt the following week. Will have to be smarter about it this time. Maybe couple of 5Ks and 10Ks here and there. BTW, I can't even keep up on the main forum anymore. Might just have to stick to this one and the swamp.
                  Nice job on the race, Steve! After my February marathon I plan to try some of the low HR training like you are up into summer. Let me know how it works out for you. I totally hear you about not being able to keep up with the main boards anymore. It's crazy busy with posts compared to three days ago (or ever). Lots of friendly new faces though it seems.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prophet!

That's it folks. 2007 is over and so concludes my 2nd year (well 1.5 years but i'll just round it up) of running. As a last goal for this year I decided that i'd run as often as i can to finish the year and i did 11 days straight of ~ 5 miles. i was worried for a second that my right knee was going to fail me..it was sore every night after about 7 days. But icing every night, today the knee feels good. I might take the day off tomorrow, but i might not Smile . Have a great end of the year everybody. See you next year.

Prophet!

Year 3 begins with a depressing day of HI blowout in the sugar bowl, lots of food and 3 1/4 of a whole apple pie, and consequently a tough running day today. My legs are feeling really tired right now. Maybe i'm adding too much mileage too fast after the marathon. The plan is to do 5m-a-day again the rest of this week for 30 mpw (drop of 5 from last week) and maybe i'll stick with the 6 days a week running next week and add a mile to two runs each week and try to get to 40 - 45 and then stay there for a while. All easy running at HR around 140 - 145. Might do a 2.5 run part of a biathlon next weekend if a friend needs a running partner, and maybe a 5K this saturday.
                        Aloha Steve To answer your questions from my journal: HILLS!!! Other than hills I have a weight bench that has a leg attachment so I do extensions and curls. Lunges work and you don't even need "real" weights (big book or gallon of milk will do in a pinch) I do both on the same day (though I really should take it much easier on my runs the same day) If your going to do both on the same day MAKE SURE your run is easy and probably much earlier than your workout or visa versa. Also make sure you don't have a real hard day planned the day after. Hope that helps a little Pam

Prophet!

thanks Pam, that helps a lot. At this point i probably won't be doing the leg workouts as they feel like lead enough as it is but once i'm getting used to the running load again i'll definitely do them. I need to try and find somebody to to show me how to properly do lunges, every time i try to do them something hurts or i don't feel anything at all.
                            thanks Pam, that helps a lot. At this point i probably won't be doing the leg workouts as they feel like lead enough as it is but once i'm getting used to the running load again i'll definitely do them. I need to try and find somebody to to show me how to properly do lunges, every time i try to do them something hurts or i don't feel anything at all.
                            Another suggestion is start out with body weight squats. You can upgrade to adding some dumbbells after these get easy. Not sure what they would be in HI - but they are like $0.50/pound here for the cheap ones.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prophet!

Another suggestion is start out with body weight squats. You can upgrade to adding some dumbbells after these get easy. Not sure what they would be in HI - but they are like $0.50/pound here for the cheap ones.
                              thanks Skeletor. ..I have already added about 15 pounds of body weight the past few weeks so I'll start with those Smile

Prophet!

Wow..its been a month since i put in an entry. Trying to run more often these days. I am dropping my easy pace down to see if i can string consistent > 40 mpw ... i don' think i've managed to do more than 2 - 3 weeks before something goes wrong. We'll see. Its tough to drop back down to slower than 10 minute miles after 1 1/2 years of trying to get faster than 10 minute miles. Got a 5K race as part of a biathlon in two weeks, this should give me more of an idea for training paces. I have a new semi-goal 10K race in may. I thought about training specifically for it but decided to just stick to lots of easy miles with short tempo run once a week and strides couple of times a week.