RA Coaching Forum

Jeffgoblue's Training Journal (Read 686 times)

Scout7

I really love the lunchtime 4-milers. Easy pace, decent weather....
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Easy 3 at lunch. Son was up most of the night, so the morning run was out. I managed to do my run after my employee luncheon. The real achievement here is that I controlled myself with the food intake. I tend to overeat when The Man is paying for it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

btb1490

Easy 3 at lunch. Son was up most of the night, so the morning run was out. I managed to do my run after my employee luncheon. The real achievement here is that I controlled myself with the food intake. I tend to overeat when The Man is paying for it.
        Now THAT is what I call discipline!

I managed to do my run after my employee luncheon. The real achievement here is that I controlled myself with the food intake. I tend to overeat when The Man is paying for it.
          I don't believe that there is such a thing as overeating when The Man is paying for it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't believe that there is such a thing as overeating when The Man is paying for it.
            That's true, except when running right afterwards! To be fair, I made an absolute pig of myself with the leftover cookies and carrot cake later that afternoon.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Easy 5.4 today. 8:11 pace. Nice run in nice weather. I felt Kung-fu. My average heart rate was 148, which I suppose would be my MAF ((180-37)+5 for active training). No, I'm not a MAFer, and I don't intend to be one. But after all the damn discussion, I can't help but think about. It's like that old Sam Kinison riff where he never used to think about a certain sex act until his girlfriend brought it up (and said that she wouldn't do it). But I digress. Speaking of MAF, can two wrongs make a right? Like Scout, I'm skeptical of the age-based formula as being a poor approximation, just like 220-age is pure ballpark. But given the following: MaxHR=220-age MAFHR=180-age A little simple algegra yields: MAFHr=MaxHR-40 There! I've taken age right out of it! 23.0 miles so far this week. Aiming to get above 30, but weekend runs are always in doubt unless I can get up early, which I haven't been able to do reliably lately. Travelling for business Sunday~Thurs, so I may not get very many miles in next week. Hopefully I can squeeze a few runs in.

Scout7

Yeah, the formula approach is good to get an approximation. But I've seen people that are waaaay off. Business travel can be difficult, depending on what you're doing.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, back from my business trip. Probably won't run today, but maybe a good weekend can salvage the week. Did manage to get a decent 4 miler in Wednesday morning, along with a brisk 2 miler that night before heading out for beers. I'm just glad I don't travel very much for work, b/c it really sucks for staying in shape. Granted, when I arrived Sunday night, I met up with some old buddies that I used to work with and we went straight from the airport to the brew pub. Good times ensued, but it guaranteed that I wouldn't even think about running for a few days. Dead I suppose if my trip didn't start out with so much boozing, I might have done more running.

I suppose if my trip didn't start out with so much boozing, I might have done more running.
                    Maybe you didn't booze enough - if you are still drunk when you wake up then you can go out for your run first thing and you won't be drunk after a few miles and all is well!

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

Nothing like the smell of sweating out last night's binge. Even better when done with friends in an equal state. At least until some sadistic bastard gets the bright idea that it'd be cool to pick up the pace.....
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Back on the horse. 7.69 miles at lunch today. Longer than I should probably run at work, but I needed it after last week's suckfest. My longest run in many months, but for me, it's not an issue of distance, it's an issue of time to put in the distance. Both kids have been waking up multiple times during the night, which has pretty much nuked my ability to wake up for the early morning run. Maybe tomorrow.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

5.6 today during lunch. I started out doing this as a robo-run (i.e. setting the Garmin virtual trainer to keep me locked in) at 8:20/mile. I was fine after the first few miles, but the combination of doing zilch last week, longer than usual yesterday, and the Scotch over the weekend (Haggis party!) caught up with me. Plus, my left calf was starting to feel tight. So after about 1/2 mile of forcing myself onto the pace despite all of this and a strong headwind, I just let go. I slowed way down, and cruised in the rest of the way, ignoring that Virtual Partner pulling away from me. At first, I was like, "what's going on? This pace should be no problem with you! C'mon, feel kung fu!" Then I realized that listening to your body, even if that means slowing down, is the ultimate expression of feeling kung fu. I felt kung fu today.

Scout7

Nicely done, grasshopper.
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ran 5.08 miles today at lunch. 7:47 pace. What a difference a day makes. It's not that I felt that much better or less sore today, but the temp dropped from 59 yesterday to 37 today. I just plain run better in cold weather, and have more fun doing it. Which makes my choice of locale (Alabama) kind of sucky, for the most part. Got to a decision point along the run, all the while thinking, "turn right, just do 4, because you've got a lot to do this afternoon at work." So naturally, I got to the turn and went left. A mile longer, with a big hill. Picked up the pace up the hill. Kung fu, indeed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, my training has suddenly discovered a new sense of purpose. My wife may or may not do a C25k-typre program for the Cotton Row 5k, which is a big race on Memorial Day. I was originally planning to run this, but if she does, I'll have to run the 10k, which is an even bigger event (biggest race in town other than the Rocket City Marathon). (Why the dichotmy? The 10k starts at 7am and the 5k at 9am. We have two small children -- someone's gotta watch them!). Anywho, I've pretty much fixed in my head that I'm running a big 10k on Memorial Day (May 26th). That means that starting next week I'll have 16 full training weeks to prepare. I think having a specific race to plan for will help me. I am starting to think about my training schedule, which up to now has been purely arbitrary. I'm thinking of simply ramping up miles for the next 8 weeks, with a weekly session of either tempo or hills. As I get into the last 8 weeks, I'll start working in some intervals. There will be no shortage of people to race with. AG awards will be way out of reach -- last year's top 3 in my AG (35-39) were 31:55, 32:23, 33:02. My goal will be to break 40. I'm a little nervous about the course. It's got a mutha of a climb starting at mile 3. To that end, I'm envisioning a workout that's a hill tempo -- do like 4 reps up a steep hill, then shift straight into a tempo run