RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Ditto!!! Hope you have an awesome Turkey day!!
    Thanks, Pam! Same to you. I plan to eat plenty of pumpkin pie + whatever else I have to eat to earn more pie.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

Thanks, Pam! Same to you. I plan to eat plenty of pumpkin pie + whatever else I have to eat to earn more pie.
      Boobs?
        Boobs?
        You know that's what I meant. Oh. Sorry. Rhetorical question.

Scout7

Just throwin' that out there. When you going for a run at Western States?
            Just throwin' that out there. When you going for a run at Western States?
            ROFL. Um. Not for a long, long time. I need to trip on some rocks and roots to cause enough brain damage to sign up for something like that. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Ghost Town 38.5 or a local 50 miler on trails first. Either of those two should cause me enough brain damage to consider a 100k.

btb1490

Mike, looks like you are no worse for the wear from your amazing ultra. I'm happy to see you bounced back pretty darn well! Hope you enjoyed replenishing those calories on Thanksgiving!
                Mike, looks like you are no worse for the wear from your amazing ultra. I'm happy to see you bounced back pretty darn well! Hope you enjoyed replenishing those calories on Thanksgiving!
                Thanks, Bob! I had a great time replenishing calories. Trying to keep from over-replenishing!!! How was your Thanksgiving weekend? Looks like you did your first 10 miler in quite some time!!! Looking good. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Regarding the bounce-back - yeah things are feeling pretty good so far - just trying to keep things easy this week and next to get in some good recovery before Cowtown training starts. I do have one toenail that has gone mostly purplish-black - but no pain there. My kids think its cool that I will probably lose the nail.

btb1490

Congrats on the toenail Mike! Welcome to the club! And you've earned those calories, so replenish away! I had a good Thanksgiving weekend as well, thanks! It was good to be out there running.
                    Thanks, Bob. Haha on the calories. When I weighed in this morning, I was up 6.2 pounds. Doh! I want to drop 15# before Cowtown - so now is the time to start working on calorie cutting. Anyway, your pics in Pam's log reminded me that I meant to post these pics of the trail I just started running. ------------------------------ The kids are out of school all week, so I took off the week too. We tried to go to the zoo, but it was waaay too crowded, so we hit Cedar Creek Preserve to check out some more of the trails. It's really cool that they have this much wilderness carved out in an urban area. I had forgotten about this warning sign. My daughter grabbed my hand, my son said "cool". The trail starts out with a nice downhill. Another snake warning sign. My son wanted his picture with this one - so he could show his friends at school. He was hoping to see a real snake all afternoon. About a half a mile down the trail, we came across a small wooden tower built by an Eagle Scout. We took this shot from it. Here's some "stairs" that I ran down the last time I was here. I'm not sure if my son is just paying attention to his footing or is already dreading the climb back up. Watch out for cacti! There were tons of these all along the trail. Looks like I have a junior trail runner in training! Still looking around for snakes. Wow! To be a kid again. So much energy. We were just walking/hiking today, but she says she wants to come back with me the next time I run the trails. Another Eagle Scout project is a dock like structure at the "Cattail Pond". A view from the little dock. My son is dreading the uphill. Big grin He also didn't see any snakes. To this, my daughter said "cool". Both for the uphill and the lack of snakes.

btb1490

Nice Mike! Thanks for posting those! Those trails look great for running! What a nice resource you have there. It sounds like your son and daughter are opposite when it comes to hiking/running and reptiles. I'll bet that leads to some interesting dynamics between the two of them. Wink
                        Nice Mike! Thanks for posting those! Those trails look great for running! What a nice resource you have there. It sounds like your son and daughter are opposite when it comes to hiking/running and reptiles. I'll bet that leads to some interesting dynamics between the two of them. Wink
                        Thanks, Bob! They are fun to run on - I've only seen 2 or 3 out of the 10 miles so far - time to explore next time I'm out there! The kids are definitely opposite in many ways makes things interesting to say the least!

So last week was a week of recovery running - I had planned on 18 and got in 20. All easy or recovery type miles Didn't do too bad with running the recovery miles too fast. So far this week, I ran a very fun hill repeat session and got in 9 miles. Last night I went out planning on 6 easy and ended up running a progressive tempo run - setting a 1 1/2 minute 10k PR in the process. Holy crap! So the rest of the week is about getting in about 30 miles - the rest of it easy - maybe a little trip back to the trails this weekend. Next week starts Cowtown training with the White Rock HM as my long run on Sunday.

btb1490

Good solid week you had Mike, especially the hillwork today! Keep this up and you'll be setting PR's left and right!
                              Thanks, Bob! Speaking of a good solid week - it looks like your last two weeks are getting you a lot closer to pre-injury land. The 40 mile barrier has been broken! When catching up on your log - I had forgotten that you had Disney in your plans! Are you doing just the full or doing the Goofy Challenge? Got in two hill workouts this week. Started small with just 3 hill repeats each time. I'll try to build up on this over the next few months as I approach Cowtown. This is the biggest hill within running distance of the house - I still need to make a trip (20 minutes in the car) out to the big hill I found last month and give that one a whirl. I was shooting for 30 easy miles and got in 33 and change. All the miles weren't as easy as I planned - but a good week nonetheless. Next week begins 12 weeks of Pfitz training for Cowtown. In some ways, I'm looking forward to it and some ways I'm not. Big grin I am looking forward to running the White Rock HM next week. Planning on running it as a long run if modal (Tim) and I manage to meet up. Shooting for a PR if we don't meet up. I've decided that I'm going to run a 50 miler next year. The only question is when and where. jlynnbob has suggested that I go for it at Palo Duro in October vs. the one I was looking at in December. So I'm starting to lay down plans that include 3-4 months of low HR training after Cowtown as sort of an "off season" with little to no racing. Lynn has offered to help plan my 50 miler training - so when we get through working out those details - I'll add that to my plan after my low HR training is over.

btb1490

Are you doing just the full or doing the Goofy Challenge?
                                There's that word "just" again! You are pretty funny, Mike! I'm being Dopey and doing the Goofy Challenge plus the 5k that they have on the Friday before it. Getting up to run that early three days in a row will be the hardest part I think!
                                I've decided that I'm going to run a 50 miler next year. The only question is when and where. jlynnbob has suggested that I go for it at Palo Duro in October vs. the one I was looking at in December. So I'm starting to lay down plans that include 3-4 months of low HR training after Cowtown as sort of an "off season" with little to no racing. Lynn has offered to help plan my 50 miler training - so when we get through working out those details - I'll add that to my plan after my low HR training is over.
                                50 miles.... I can't even imagine. Looking forward to following you along (in your blog, not on the road!)