RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Scout7

There's a 50 miler in PA..... Run around Tussey Mountain...... http://www.tusseymountainback.com/index.html
      There's a 50 miler in PA..... Run around Tussey Mountain...... http://www.tusseymountainback.com/index.html
      You signing up for that one? Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I'm being Dopey and doing the Goofy Challenge plus the 5k that they have on the Friday before it. Getting up to run that early three days in a row will be the hardest part I think! 50 miles.... I can't even imagine. Looking forward to following you along (in your blog, not on the road!)
        Sweet that sounds like fun, Bob! Well, not the waking up early - but Dopey/Goofy Challenge sounds fun. I'd love to do that one day. Heh. At the moment, I can't imagine 50 miles either. Of course I couldn't imagine 26 when I signed up for the marathon. Today was the first run of the Pfitz plan. A nice uneventful 8 miler. I am sitting here stuffed to the gills with good food - we went to the sister in law's house for Haunakkah (sp?). She and my wife's brother both went to culinary school and he has been working as a chef for years now. It is always a treat to eat at their house.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN on Sunday!!!! I'm heading out to Florida first thing in am. Can't wait to hear how your race was!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, Pam! Have fun in Florida!

btb1490

Mike, good luck to you this weekend! How are you feeling?
                Mike, good luck to you this weekend! How are you feeling?
                Thanks, Bob! I'm feeling great - but I've arranged to run it with Modal. So it will be a nicely paced medium long run. Good way to finish off first week of Cowtown training. Of course, if Modal falls off the pace too early - I may push to break 1:55. It may be hot and rainy so my plan is to not really have a set plan until I get the first 3-4 miles behind me and see how it goes. There are 5 RA folks and 4-5 folks from work running - so my big goal is to cheer for the first time HM and full marathon runners. Should be a fun day!

btb1490

Hey Mister sub 1:55!!!! Congratulations! A full report is expected! Way to go Mike!

Prophet!

nice half Mike. Way to go.
                      Hey Mister sub 1:55!!!! Congratulations! A full report is expected! Way to go Mike!
                      Thanks, Bob. I could not find modal at the start - so I ran the first half mile with two friends from work who were running their first half - we ran about 11:00 pace. After the crowd opened up a little I took off at what felt easy and just let it happen. Now I'm thinking if I can tune my drinking strategy to not have to take a one minute pee break and go out just a little faster that 1:50 is in sight soon. Maybe after Cowtown. I recorded the marathon coverage and watched it last night. Frank Shorter was on the commentator team and Boston Billy ran the half marathon - he was planning on running it in 1:40. I couldn't find him in the results so I'm not sure if they just didn't include him or if he dropped for some reason.

nice half Mike. Way to go.
                        Thanks, Steve!

btb1490

You make it sound so easy, Mike! Awesome!
                            NICE race Mike and NICE PR!!!! Congrats hun!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, Pam!

OK - everybody wake up! This board is too quiet. To liven things up - I'm going to start the weekly training reports again! I'm a week behind so here's the first one. I can be pretty objective about the training plan vs. the actual training by looking at my log. But I come here to make weak excuses why I'm not keeping up with my training and I love how you guys help keep me honest and give me great advice. Training Week 1 Summary I was scheduled to do the following: TUE: 8mi Easy with 10x100m Strides - Check (Sort of) THU: 9mi Easy - Skipped SAT: 5mi Recovery - Skipped SUN: 13mi Medium Long - Check So this week I was running the White Rock HM as my Medium Long run for Sunday. I'd like to say that I skipped Thursday and Friday runs and call it a taper - but that wouldn't be true. Thursday, I just didn't feel like running in the rain and Saturday I was helping to build a giant playground at the kid's school. So I decided to play it safe and not try to run on Saturday either. Also - while I'm laying out my failures for the week - I totally forgot to check the workout type for Tuesday's run so I didn't do the strides either. So sue me. Not the best way to start off the training - but I ended up with another 3 minute PR for the HM - so all was not lost. I was debating whether to switch to the full marathon - but my choice was made for me when I went to see about switching on the web site and missed the deadline by 5 minutes. I think I'm better off for sticking with the half. My pace has been steadily improving this last month or two - most of it due to the weather - but I have to give some credit to the miles I've run this year. In total for the week, I got in 21.3 miles versus the planned 35. MTA: Sub-4, here I come!