RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Training for 2007 Fall Marathon'S (Read 1567 times)

Ahh, new shoes! I'll bet they smelled and felt great! Good job making the most of a tough run tonight. Thanks for the motionbased link on your run, I've never used that before so it was cool to see how it works. Try not to get too antsy on your day off tomorrow! With your 20 miler coming up this weekend, a day off now will do you good.
    They did BEFORE my run last night lol. As for feeling great, they still need a couple more runs and my left foot has some hot spots (from my old shoes that I shouldn't of been running in )that need to heal. I'm usually better prepared for my runs then I was last night. But then again I think last night was the first time in AGES that dh got home early. Ok it's all his fault Wink Ya know I've found myself wondering who I can get to watch the kids so I can get out and run Confused I've just got to tell myself I deserve a day off. I NEED a day off and then just enjoy the day. I know my legs will be thanking me come Saturday if I do and hating me if I don't.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Ya know I've found myself wondering who I can get to watch the kids so I can get out and run Confused I've just got to tell myself I deserve a day off. I NEED a day off and then just enjoy the day. I know my legs will be thanking me come Saturday if I do and hating me if I don't.
      Pam, use the day to do some stretching. Do you own a foam roller or "the stick"? You should if you don't. Put those to work today if you have them. Get that body tuned up and ready to go for the weekend. Make that the focus of your day. If its nice out, get the kids and the dog out and walk. Yes, I think you both deserve and need a day off. It's a necessary part of the process, recharging those batteries! Enjoy!
        Ahhhhh my stick! Thanks for the reminder Bob!! I got it out and was using it on a daily basis, but have managed to slack off the past week or so. You've given me several good ideas for the day!! Focus on me? What a thought. I definetly need to get some stretching in, maybe a nice long bubble bath (tonight after kids are in bed). It's been awhile where I actually focused on something other than running and kids. Thanks again Bob!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Ahhhhh my stick! Thanks for the reminder Bob!! I got it out and was using it on a daily basis, but have managed to slack off the past week or so. You've given me several good ideas for the day!! Focus on me? What a thought. I definetly need to get some stretching in, maybe a nice long bubble bath (tonight after kids are in bed). It's been awhile where I actually focused on something other than running and kids. Thanks again Bob!
          Hey Pam, how did your day off go yesterday? Did you survive it, and do something fun, when you weren't dealing with kitten ringworm? I was wondering on my run this AM.... do you have a goal for Steamtown, such as a BQ or a certain time? You don't have to share that info if you don't want to, but I was thinking you are probably in good enough shape to qualify for Boston if you wanted to.
            Hey Pam, how did your day off go yesterday? Did you survive it, and do something fun, when you weren't dealing with kitten ringworm? I was wondering on my run this AM.... do you have a goal for Steamtown, such as a BQ or a certain time? You don't have to share that info if you don't want to, but I was thinking you are probably in good enough shape to qualify for Boston if you wanted to.
            Thanks for asking about me. Yes I managed to survive yesterday. Ended up taking kids to the pool for a few hours. After they went to bed instead of taking the bubble bath I had planned I picked up one of the 3 library books I checked out the other day (I usually get books then don't find the time to read them before returning them) and started reading it. I was really good and didn't stay up to finish it like I would have when I was much younger and was in bed by 11. As for my goals for Steamtown. As much as I'd love to qualify for Boston, I'm just not sure this year is the year. The way I see it, my main goal this fall is to finish ALL 3 of the marathons and do Steamtown under 4 hours. If I accomplish that, I'll be picking up some racing flats (asic speedsters) and trying them out during my speed work and short races come spring (light weight trainers if racing flats don't work for me). I figure if I start doing "real" speedwork (at the track) I may be able to go for BQ time at Steamtown 08 and do the Flying Monkey for "fun" in November of 08. Sound like ok goals?

btb1490

Thanks for asking about me. Yes I managed to survive yesterday. Ended up taking kids to the pool for a few hours. After they went to bed instead of taking the bubble bath I had planned I picked up one of the 3 library books I checked out the other day (I usually get books then don't find the time to read them before returning them) and started reading it. I was really good and didn't stay up to finish it like I would have when I was much younger and was in bed by 11. As for my goals for Steamtown. As much as I'd love to qualify for Boston, I'm just not sure this year is the year. The way I see it, my main goal this fall is to finish ALL 3 of the marathons and do Steamtown under 4 hours. If I accomplish that, I'll be picking up some racing flats (asic speedsters) and trying them out during my speed work and short races come spring (light weight trainers if racing flats don't work for me). I figure if I start doing "real" speedwork (at the track) I may be able to go for BQ time at Steamtown 08 and do the Flying Monkey for "fun" in November of 08. Sound like ok goals?
              I was wondering if you had a pool available. Good day for it! And that thing with the books is so true! I don't think I have finished a library book yet! Yet running magazines get read cover to cover several times... Tongue Personally, with the miles you've been running and the paces you're running at, I think you will SMOKE 4 hours at Steamtown! Provided you don't start out like a maniac on those initial downhills! Your goals sound fine and well thought out. Build that speed in the springtime, then use it as a springboard to your fall marathon training. Racing flats kill my legs. I use lightweight trainers (Mizuno) as my racing flats. Good luck with your 20 miler this weekend! What day are you doing it? Forecast here is for cooler weather! Yay! Hopefully it's the same for you!!
                Yet running magazines get read cover to cover several times... Tongue Personally, with the miles you've been running and the paces you're running at, I think you will SMOKE 4 hours at Steamtown! Provided you don't start out like a maniac on those initial downhills! Your goals sound fine and well thought out. Build that speed in the springtime, then use it as a springboard to your fall marathon training. Racing flats kill my legs. I use lightweight trainers (Mizuno) as my racing flats. Good luck with your 20 miler this weekend! What day are you doing it? Forecast here is for cooler weather! Yay! Hopefully it's the same for you!!
                So true about running magazines! I read them as soon as they come in my mail box! As for the downhills at Steamtown, I'm not planning on hammering the hills from the getgo. It's going to be hard for me since I LOVE downhills, but I know that would be the end of a great race if I do. Wish I had time to head up to that area and run before the marathon, just so I had more of an idea. Even though LR elevation won't be like Steamtown, I'm definetly going to be practicing my slower start and strong ending there first. Just thinking about where I plan on going with my training get's me all excited! Just hope it goes without too many hitches. Not too sure how my legs will handle flats, so I'll be looking into lightweight trainers as well. I'm running my 20 miler tomorrow with Michelle aka mississippi here on RA. High tomorrow is 76, which is NICE. We'll be running in the early evening (new for me) since that works best with her schedule. Thanks again Bob for your input and all!! I really appreiciate it!

btb1490

So true about running magazines! I read them as soon as they come in my mail box! As for the downhills at Steamtown, I'm not planning on hammering the hills from the getgo. It's going to be hard for me since I LOVE downhills, but I know that would be the end of a great race if I do. Wish I had time to head up to that area and run before the marathon, just so I had more of an idea. Even though LR elevation won't be like Steamtown, I'm definetly going to be practicing my slower start and strong ending there first. Just thinking about where I plan on going with my training get's me all excited! Just hope it goes without too many hitches. Not too sure how my legs will handle flats, so I'll be looking into lightweight trainers as well. I'm running my 20 miler tomorrow with Michelle aka mississippi here on RA. High tomorrow is 76, which is NICE. We'll be running in the early evening (new for me) since that works best with her schedule. Thanks again Bob for your input and all!! I really appreiciate it!
                  At Steamtown, there is a SMOKING downhill right near the start. After that, its pretty steady and gradual for the next 8-9 miles. You've probably run enough downhills to not have to worry about seeing it ahead of time. The busride to the start will give you an idea of what to expect, although it'll be dark outside. The key, as you said, will be to starting slower, and your Lehigh marathon will be great practice for that. I like how you are thinking long term with your training. Patience and persistence over the long haul is the key to getting good at marathoning. Shortcuts usually don't work. How nice that you will have a running partner for your long run! I'll bet the miles fly by! Like yourself, I've never done my long runs, or many runs for that matter, in the evening, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
                    Well let's hope I don't burn myself out from the get go! I sure hope the miles fly by. It will be intereting to say the least, doing 20 miles starting at 5:30. Depending on how fast or slow we go I may have to bring a headlamp Confused

Ok so I decided to try and listen to my body. I figured a 9 minute mile pace was what I was going for. I think I did pretty good. I think if I hadn't had to stop at the main road for 30 some odd seconds I might have done my last part of my last mile a bit slower and gotten even closer to the 9 minute pace I was going for. Here is my run from tonight. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3687129

btb1490

Ok so I decided to try and listen to my body. I figured a 9 minute mile pace was what I was going for. I think I did pretty good. I think if I hadn't had to stop at the main road for 30 some odd seconds I might have done my last part of my last mile a bit slower and gotten even closer to the 9 minute pace I was going for. Here is my run from tonight. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3687129
                        I would say you nailed that one Pam! Great job on the pacing!
                          Thanks Bob!! Well I had a freak accident in bed at the crack of dawn. My bad ankle ended up getting crushed between dh's Knee after he was scratched by kitten under the sheets in a very private area. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to get back to sleep, but eventually did. I probably should of iced it before going to sleep, I was just too tired. We'll see how it affects my long run this eaving. Until then I'm icing it for 15 minutes every hour. I'm prepared to go as slow as I need to during my 20 miler to make sure I get it done. Keeping fingers crossed!

btb1490

Thanks Bob!! Well I had a freak accident in bed at the crack of dawn. My bad ankle ended up getting crushed between dh's Knee after he was scratched by kitten under the sheets in a very private area. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to get back to sleep, but eventually did. I probably should of iced it before going to sleep, I was just too tired. We'll see how it affects my long run this eaving. Until then I'm icing it for 15 minutes every hour. I'm prepared to go as slow as I need to during my 20 miler to make sure I get it done. Keeping fingers crossed!
                            Shocked How can such a tiny animal wreak so much havok! Geez Pam, I hope both you and your husband are ok! My guess is your ankle will be ok for your run. That sounds like more of a contusion injury than anything else. Fingers are crossed here too. I was thinking of you on my run today. Funny that you mention that you will go as slow as you need to on your run, because that is what I was thinking of. You said you are running with Mississippi, and she is a bit faster than you are, isn't she? I was worried that you'd be running too fast in order to keep up with her. Be smart out there, just get the miles in, ok? Good luck Pam! I hope it goes well.
                              Shocked How can such a tiny animal wreak so much havok! Geez Pam, I hope both you and your husband are ok! My guess is your ankle will be ok for your run. That sounds like more of a contusion injury than anything else. Fingers are crossed here too. I was thinking of you on my run today. Funny that you mention that you will go as slow as you need to on your run, because that is what I was thinking of. You said you are running with Mississippi, and she is a bit faster than you are, isn't she? I was worried that you'd be running too fast in order to keep up with her. Be smart out there, just get the miles in, ok? Good luck Pam! I hope it goes well.
                              That is why his name is Loki (Norse god of discord and mischief) Dh is fine and i'm sure my ankle will be fine (cross fingers) Michelle e hasn't ran anything over a half marathon outside. She is faster than I am at the shorter distances, but I've got the endurance advantage. Overall I think we'll be a good match as far as pace for the longer distance. We shall see. Anyway thanks Bob! I sure hope to have a nice run like you did this morning!

Cats are just evil!!! They cause more problems than they do good.. Pam- hope your ankle is ok. BTW- we have a cat... and I do love the crazy thing... but ....
                                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com