RA Coaching Forum

mikeymike's quixotic quest (Read 854 times)

mikeymike

Yeah I'm used to it taking a while to find a rythm during those 5 a.m. runs. I'm going from my lowest heart rate of the day to my highest in sometimes less than 30 minutes. Everything is generally at least 10-15 secs per mile slower in the early morning than it would be in the afternoon. This one was more sluggish than normal. I did a 3 mile warmup and was 2 miles into the tempo, so 5 miles iont the run before things felt okay. The first 2 miles of the tempo run were at 6:30, the last two were under 6:10 and felt easier. Partly I was probably still a bit stiff from Sunday's 800's.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Yeah those darn 800's they are easier for me to do than the 400's but the 800's are tough for recovery for me. good going. keep it up! Smile
      running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
      mikeymike

Looks like I'm racing a 10K on Sunday. Time to get this party started. This should be interesting. On the other hand it looks like I'm NOT racing a 5K on the 6th as planned so now I need to find a 5K that I can fit into my sched.

Runners run

mikeymike

Week beginning 4/23/07 -- 58 miles in 7 runs. Key workout #1 -- wed. 10 miles with a 4-mile tempo run. Good workout. Key workout #2 -- sun. 16 mile long run with lots of hills. Great run. Did strides 2x. 2 super easy recover runs with work friends kept me fresh. Got a bad cold this weekend so scrapped racing plans...but somehow felt good enough to do my longest run of the year with lots of hills. Ha.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Good going Mikey. Way to work it out and do the loooong run. Hills in Boston? j/k where did you run to?
            running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
            mikeymike

where did you run to?
              I put on my Garmin and just ran. Here's where I wound up going. I ran through the breakheart in Wakefield/Saugus which has some really nice hills and took a really hilly route getting there too. This is when a Garmin really comes in handy. I literally made this up as I went, decided to head to the Breakheart when I was already about 2 miles into the run. Ran a little bit of trails but mostly bike path. This week will be way effed up. My MIL is in the hospital with yet undetermined issues that caused her to pass out and split her head open really hard twice over the weekend and my wife is shuttling between here and Western Mass. Suddenly my quixotic quest seems even less important (and more quixotic) and whatever running I manage to do this week will be for stress release as much as anything....

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Holy moly Mikey that's a beautiful run! Where in Western Mass? My mommy is from Springfield. Grandma stayed there too. I hope your situation gets better. Glad to hear that your life is in priority mode. That makes me feel good to see that your family is #1. Virtual hugs... the quixotic quest will continue, this is just part of it. there is no "off plan" there is only life. we just keep learning.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Nice run....I've run just about all of those roads in the past and also ran a 4 mile race in Breakhart many moons ago. Look just SW on your map and you'll see Middlesex fells Reservation...that's where i did all of my long runs for trail ultrarunning when i lived in Medford. Some really great trails and dirt roads in there.

Life is short, play hard!

mikeymike

Muse, my wife grew up in Longmeadow. My FIL is from Springfield and MIL from Chicopee--all her cousins aunts, uncles etc are still out there. Her parents downsized from their house in Longmeadow to a condo in Wilbraham a few years ago and that's where they live now. My MIL is at Mercy Hosp. in Springfield right now... "there is no off plan, there is only life..." I like that, thanks! Steve, I know the Fells well. Have biked and run in there a ton especially when I lived in Cambridge and then Winchester. I'll hit that when it dries out a bit. MTA: that 4-mile race was the Breakheart classic 6k. I ran that once. Brutal little race.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Mikey, My grandma was in East Long Meadow in a cute little elderly community. Then she was at a residential home in downtown Springfield (a Catholic home)... My mommy grew up in Springfield and went to Chicopee high school. I wonder if your in laws and my mommy know eachother. Smile My mother's best friend still resides in Chicopee and all of their relatives are still in that area as well. Too bad there isn't private messaging here, I could ask you what their names are and then we can figure it all out. Perhaps we have the whole six degrees of separation going on! Smile So you can see how I got connected to Boston now! Smile It's really cool to talk to you Mikey. please keep me up to date on your MIL's health. my prayers! Smile
                      mikeymike

She seems to be doing better. A lot is stull unexplained but she is probably going home today--my wife is on her way home or already home to tag in and take over her fulltime job of taking care of 4 kids, I got the oldest 2 to school and left my mom with the li'l 2...(phew!) Thanks muse!

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Mikey, Just checking up on you.... Jen
                          mikeymike

Hey Jen, still kicking...barely. Thanks! I've had a crap week. MIL is home and doing well--looks like a drug interaction was causing her to lose consciousness, which caused her two falls, which caused her two concussions etc. All the tests for every other possible scenario came back negative. She's home, seems to be doing fine. She can't be left alone for a while but she's good. No more episodes in over a week now. I'm another story. That cold/flu whatever I was battling last weekend seems to have won. This was a long, crazy, hectic week with my wife gone for 2 days and me being Mr. Mom and oh by the way working a pretty stressful job and interviewing for another...I reached Friday on fumes. After reading my 4 y.o. a story on Friday night, my body just shut down on me. I went to bed a 7:30 and didn't wake up until 8 on Saturday. Bad head cold, headache, body aches, no energy. Took a 2 hour nap on Sat when my wife--bless her soul--took the kids for a walk. Went to bed early again last night and feel much better today, though not 100%. Still have a nasty cough. I may go out for a short run later just to clean the pipes out but this has basically been a lost week. Alas.

Runners run

mikeymike

Week beginning 4/30/07 -- 30 miles in 4 runs. Crap week. Sick, family emergencies and other stuff. Just did enough to keep from falling off the map...turn the page.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

I need to peek at your log to see how you are doing. I am fighting off the beginnings of a cold. I need about 13 hours of sleep. I want to run today.... bah How is the MIL doing hun?