Trailer Trash

shoe for rugged rocky/talus/scree course??? (Read 64 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

MT have you dismissed the NB 1210's?

I haven't, but no had them in MIssoula or Bozeman.  I'm a little concerned w/ the toe box, I know that a EE or EEEE would probably work up front, but likely be too sloppy at the heel/mid-foot

are you running in them?  normal width?  toe box room?  it has to be generous for it to work for me

thanks

I should also mention that in the pics the PureGrits are 9.5, the Helios a 10

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

I'm in EEEE's but I'm a wide foot anyway...I do find I have to lace them tighter than other shoes , yet it doesn't present a problem.  I do think they will be my Early Season Bowhunting shoe.  (July-August)

WYBMADIITY

Save

Watoni

I haven't, but no had them in MIssoula or Bozeman.  I'm a little concerned w/ the toe box, I know that a EE or EEEE would probably work up front, but likely be too sloppy at the heel/mid-foot

are you running in them?  normal width?  toe box room?  it has to be generous for it to work for me

thanks

I should also mention that in the pics the PureGrits are 9.5, the Helios a 10

I wear a 10.5+ (44 European) in Helios and I normally wear a 9-9.5. Like Vertical Ks, they run small. They still might not work for you in the toe box, though, even at that size.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

yeah a EEEE would probably be perfect in the toe box, questionable for the rest of my foot;  if the N1's don't pan out I'll either try the 1210's or the Inov-8 255's, both would be a shot in the dark as no one even remotely close by has either

^ I sized up a 1/2, sounds like maybe I should of tried a full size up- still might not have worked for me w/ the shape of the toe box though

I can tell you once I do find a shoe that's going to work, I'm going to load up up the damn things! Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

according to my Fleet feet owner...

"Modified RL-3 last which is the Japanese racing last the was used for Minimus last. Modification is adding additional width and depth in forefoot while keeping narrow feet thru midfoot and heel."

WYBMADIITY

Save

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ that's encouraging- additional width and depth in the forefoot is exactly what I need, narrow at midfoot/heel as well

interesting side note- just went to runningwarehouses shoefitter and put in my Brooks PG at 9.5, they recommend a 9 in the 1210- that's the first shoe that I've looked at that recommended sizing down, almost all of them showed size up

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

^ that's encouraging- additional width and depth in the forefoot is exactly what I need, narrow at midfoot/heel as well

interesting side note- just went to runningwarehouses shoefitter and put in my Brooks PG at 9.5, they recommend a 9 in the 1210- that's the first shoe that I've looked at that recommended sizing down, almost all of them showed size up

I have to size down in NB all the time. Always a 1/2 size difference.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the N1's arrived on Friday, tried them on and wore them around for awhile- they felt a little "funny"- but no fit issues I could point to though

Saturday was a long run, so didn't want that to be their maiden voyage, had an easy 6 miles this morning that I ran w/ the N1's- they felt pretty good, no cramping in the toes

I'll get 3 or 4 shorter runs w/ the N1's and if all is still going well, give them a go on a long run

they are actually pretty similar to the PureGrits- fairly lightweight, low stack height, kind of a rockered profile when viewed from the side- they are definitely beefier and firmer than the Grits in the mid and outsole though

view from the top, you can see the seamless design of the N1 and the relatively rounded toe box- both contribute to room in the toe box

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

valerienv

Thread killer ..

How would you say they fit in the heel ?  my husband is back on the shoe hunt and I want him to try these , he likes snug in the heel,  roomy in the toe . He is also running in Pure Grits right now but ends up with stone bruises .

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'd say very similar in the heel, possibly even a little snugger the puregrits

my only complaint at the moment is they have these really nice "sausage" laces that won't come loose, but they're about too short- can barely tie them in the regular upper hole, no way in heck could you use the extra hole if you wanted to snug them a little more in the heel

going to call PI on Tuesday and see if they can provide me longer laces

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

ceezy

Do you think those N1s could take on some road miles...I end up running some roads to get on some of my trails so I look for something that can perform ok on the road.   I've run in the Road N2s when I have to get on the hard stuff and I like them but not much traction for any trails.

Thanks.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Do you think those N1s could take on some road miles...I end up running some roads to get on some of my trails so I look for something that can perform ok on the road.   I've run in the Road N2s when I have to get on the hard stuff and I like them but not much traction for any trails.

Thanks.

disclaimer:  this is not based on any actual experience Smile  but.... one of the common accolades I see associated with this shoe is it's ability to crossover on roads

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

ceezy

Appreciate it, I think I am going to take a look at those...

and that fave beer QOTD the other day prompted me to try some of that Summer Shandy...and that stuff is great! Smile

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I was visiting Wisconsin a couple of years ago (during the summer) and someone suggested trying the Summer Shandy- I'm sure glad they did Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

short update:

appears the N1's are going to work, at least in the fit department- I've got ~ 35 miles on them (nothing over 8 miles however) and they feel pretty good- they have a firmer feel that the grits, firmer/denser mid-sole is my guess???

I've got a 13 mile trail race next weekend, but the country isn't overly rugged so I'll probably go w/ the Grits, I do plan on bagging Stuart Peak two days later which is a 19 mile day hike w/ some scrambling- I'll give the N1's a shot at that

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √