Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - 2010, Get your feet wet! (Read 685 times)

Glad everyone is doing well and ready for 2010!

I love my Nathan HPL 020 too.  Great pack.  I also LOVE my Ultimate Direction WASP, which is nearly identical to the Nathan, but has a much larger cargo capacity.  It works a lot better for some of my unsupported wilderness runs.

I guess it's goals and resolutions time eh?  My 2010 goals:

- finish 2-3 100 milers

- run 2608.2 miles (50.0 mpw average)

- 100 vertical miles (528,000') of elevation gain for the year.

- Have tons of fun, see cool stuff, run with great friends.

The elevation gain one is going to be really hard.  I only did about 350,000' of gain in '09 and felt like I was doing a lot of climbing.  I think getting into Hardrock will be the only way this will happen.

...---...

- run 2608.2 miles

-

Sheesh, Chris. Can you work on being a little more specific with your goals please? 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I only did about 350,000' of gain in '09

Only  350,000 feet of gain . . .

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Only  350,000 feet of gain . . .

Well..."only" in respect to the new goal.  Trust me...my fatass felt EVERY foot of it! 

Imminent Catastrophe

I love my Nathan HPL 020 too.  Great pack.  I also LOVE my Ultimate Direction WASP, which is nearly identical to the Nathan, but has a much larger cargo capacity.  It works a lot better for some of my unsupported wilderness runs.

Are they bouncy when full? How's the comfort? I have a 2L Inov-8 hydration fanny pack that's nice, but it does still jiggle uncomfortably when more than half full, and I'm still trying to find a non-bouncy hydration pack.

(That is, if my stinkin' leg and back ever recover so I can run more than a couple of treadmill miles).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Russ - the Nathan stays put. I was really surprised. When full, it may bounce a little if the straps are a little loose.

What do you think Jen and Chris? Same results on bounce? 

Also, I agree with Jen on the Camelbak bite valve. Better, softer, easier. More flexible tube too. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

I actually find the skirts cooler than wearing shorts. You get a good breeze that shorts don't allow. I love that they make my legs look slender, cover up just enough of the wider area at the top of my thighs. I was very hesitant to try them but the ladies of the LLR group sang the praises of skirts so much that I tried them. Before I had only tried skirts with compression shorts but they drove me nuts. The brief of the runningskirts is just like what you have with running shorts so they are great and no worry about your shorts riding up into your crotch, which is always so attractive and comfy

I really like the compression socks. I had been using Zensah leg sleeves but I like the socks better. I just tried my pair of Sugoi compression socks for the first time today and I think I like my runningskirts socks better, especially the price. So far the longest I've done in them in 9 miles, I'm curious to see how they will do on longer runs and in warmer weather.  I wear mine to run and have really liked them, just enough of a hug to feel good and they keep my ankles and calves scrape free.

Ooooh, the breeze - I'm almost sold! I get it now - very, very cool indeed. I thought they had shorts underneath like the one's I have seen from Moving Comfort. 

-

Re the compression socks, a few days ago I ran in a pair of thick skiing socks while wearing shorts - it was relatively cold but not as cold as it has been in the last couple of days here is SC. I wasn't sure if they were going to feel too hot once I got going but guess what, I absolutely loved wearing them during that run. Like you said, on the trail they protect the skin on the lower leg from branches, thorns etc. In addition they kept me warm but did not make me hot. Even my feet stayed comfortably warm w/o getting too hot in the shoes - and yes, the thick socks fit nicely into my trail shoes as well. Of course, these socks wont do in the summer. I did like how they hugged the calves - the support. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I've learned a lot.          

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
                  Russ - the Nathan stays put. I was really surprised. When full, it may bounce a little if the straps are a little loose.

What do you think Jen and Chris? Same results on bounce? 

Also, I agree with Jen on the Camelbak bite valve. Better, softer, easier. More flexible tube too. 

I agree...they don't bounce much at all (I don't notice any bounce, actually), especially if the straps are cinched down good.

Most of my training partners are women... and they all wear the running skirts in the summer.  They constantly rave about how great they are.  No firsthand experience, but they seem to really like them a LOT. 

I agree...they don't bounce much at all (I don't notice any bounce, actually), especially if the straps are cinched down good.

I think my 2 L pack must bounce a little more than the 1.5L because I get a little chafing from it if I forget to body glide.   But it's certainly nothing I notice when I'm running.  I can hear the water sloshing, but I don't feel it.

I absolutely love my running skirts!  I'd have more if they weren't so expensive.  Some of my friends even have running dresses that they swear by.

under a rock

I absolutely love my running skirts!  I'd have more if they weren't so expensive.  Some of my friends even have running dresses that they swear by.

I've seen the running dresses but have been reluctant to spend the money on them without any recommendations of what brands are best. Do you know what brand of dresses your friends like best?

The things about the skirts is I am not a girly girl. I am all jeans and t-shirts in everyday life but I love to wear skirts for running.

wanderingoutlaw

Managed to sneak in a rare weekday trail run--less than two miles during my lunch break.  Temps above freezing but some shaded areas consisted of frozen mud--crunchy to run on.  Hopefully I'll find time for a little longer trail run this weekend.

John

I've been trying to find the longer shorts (like down to mid thigh) that AREN'T form fitting shorts.  The shorts I currently wear - I end up rubbing myself raw between my thighs, even if I use Body Glide.  I've never tried running skirts.  Hmmmm . . .

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ostrich runner

I'm not really skirt eligible, but I have some looser fitting Brooks shorts with built in spandex shorts.  I love them this time of year.  I should go find a kilt or something...every pair of shorts I've ever had has ridden up on me regardless of how thin I was and how baggy/tight they were. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

A (guy) friend of mine actually turned some of his shorts into skirts because he was so tired of them bunching up.