Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - 2010, Get your feet wet! (Read 685 times)

...---...

It's funny to do a large group run with Steph.  She is, consistently, at the very back of the group all day long... going super slow but amazingly consistently.  Then she shows up at a race and beats everyone.  She swears it's the slow training.  I think it's her genes. :-)

Right - I train slower than most during group runs and still finish no where near the front ;-)

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Right - I train slower than most during group runs and still finish no where near the front ;-)

Me too!  I train at the back and finish at the back!  Hey, at least it's consistent. 

Me too!  I train at the back and finish at the back!  Hey, at least it's consistent. 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

OK, so it's not about a trail run.

But, it's about a run. My first in 2010 and since spraining my ankle during the HUFF 50K in December.

Today - I ran. And, I walked. 24+ miles on a paved, snow-free, path around a lake.

I'm doing the Rocky Raccoon 50mi in 3 weeks. I'm out of shape and far from 100%. But, I'm more than good enough to walk the whole thing if I have to. It's only 50 miles - and they've given us 29 hours.

Life is good.

Liz

pace sera, sera

...---...

But, I'm more than good enough to walk the whole thing if I have to. It's only 50 miles - and they've given us 29 hours.

Life is good.

Now that's the way to think. Best of luck. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

under a rock

I did 12 trail miles yesterday. That is my longest run in many many years and my longest trail run ever. I feel pretty good today, a few sore spots but nothing major. I'm pretty excited, not much longer until my half marathon in Georgia next month.

This morning I signed up for an 8 mile trail race next Saturday. Looks like there will be tons of trail races held on the Mt Bike trails at the White Water Center this year. I'll probably only do a few since I might get bored since I train there a lot, but I could change my mind, I tend to do that a lot.

Happy

Wait, I took your advise into consideration for a moment.......... 

__

OK, so I finally got to get out there and run a long-run today. It's super difficult to find a block of hours to take out of a day to do this; however, I had to get up early so I could start at dawn and get a lot of time on my feet. My husband and I run a business that's open 7 days a week so I had to get back in due time to get to work. It worked out for me today - sort of. I would have liked to spend even more time out there. Next time!

Today, I think I spent 4.5 hours on the trail (I need to check on my Garmin). The time includes my rest/fuel stops at the aid station/my car. I covered 17.5 miles. Wow, that's not much but I kept thinking of Chris's words that time on your feet is the important thing, not the pace. I kind of agree with this. I can run for pace on some of my shorter runs, which I do, and I love it. I ran on challenging terrain today. It was hilly and single track., extremely wet and muddy in places. It had rained all night and still rained and drizzled during my run. There were puddles everywhere. Sometimes the ground was so soft the feet just mushed into the mud and the water entered the shoes. In the beginning I tried to carefully avoid getting wet feet. Well, after the first hour I basically gave up and ran with wet feet from then on. It was warm this morning compared to the freezing temps we've had lately. I didn't need hat or gloves. 

I am not used to trails as difficult as these - lots of roots and some rocky parts. This is a great place to train for my upcoming trail events, very race specific. I think if I can get there often enough my body will be nicely conditioned when the race season starts. First, however, I am going to run another road marathon in February; I registered for it long ago. I will use the marathon as another long-run that will aid in preparation for the ultras.

_

During my last hour today I came upon a place where the water was gushing over the trail - it looked like a creek. I thought I had made a wrong turn and gotten away from the trail but it turned out I was on the right track. There has just been so much rain lately and with it raining all night the water was running across the trail right here. I didn't want to turn around so I decided to wade into the water and cross over to the other side. It wasn't deep but I was in water up to the mid calf on both legs and had to take 3-4 steps before I was on dry land on the other side. When I got out I realized the water was quite cold - the shoes were full and my long pants were wet now. After running for a little while the shoes seemed to have emptied themselves relatively well and the water inside of them had turned warm. As long as I kept moving I would be fine. 

- This was the most exciting part of the run today.

__

I may be changing my goal for Lynch's Wood. I now think I will aim for 12 hours or 40 miles, whichever comes first. I think my initial goal of 12 hours or 50 miles was/is not realistic (After all my longest distance to date is a 50K, 31 miles in 7.5 hours.)

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

I did 12 trail miles yesterday. That is my longest run in many many years and my longest trail run ever. I feel pretty good today, a few sore spots but nothing major. I'm pretty excited, not much longer until my half marathon in Georgia next month.

This morning I signed up for an 8 mile trail race next Saturday. Looks like there will be tons of trail races held on the Mt Bike trails at the White Water Center this year. I'll probably only do a few since I might get bored since I train there a lot, but I could change my mind, I tend to do that a lot.

Runslikeagirl,

You are doing very well - congrats on going longer than ever. I am excited for you!! This will be a breakthrough year for you!!! Stay healthy until your Half Marathon in Georgia; you will run better than you think if you can avoid injuring yourself - don't overdo anything. Just keep doing what you already do - it's working well for you!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

Leslie, How did your long-runs go this weekend? Better luck with the new fueling adjustments? I saw in the ultrathread that you have gotten some good advise on salt intake etc. I hope all of this is going to help you. I agree with Doug that you should add some non-carbs to the mix of foods in order to get a better balance of nutrients. I know peanutbutter is not your thing. Maybe tree nuts are better? I ate almonds and hazelnuts during my long training run yesterday along with bites of banana. The nuts sit well with me but your system may not agree with nuts?

__

I was thinking of you yesterday while I did my own long trail run - you are amazing for being able to run long runs back to back. I was so tired yesterday.

Hey all!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!  I ran the Ghost Town 38.5 waaaayyyyy down in southern New Mexico.  It's a quirky little race and tons of fun.  Susan (the RD) puts on a great race, feeds everyone some incredible meals, and lets the runners camp on her property.  It's very fun.

I did well in the race.  Finished in 6:42, which was good for 14th place.  My friend Pete came in 3rd, behind Nick Clark and Andy Jones-Wilkins.  

Overall, it's a great race and I'd recommend it...though it's awfully hard to get too.  (It was a 12 hour drive for me).

- Chris

Imminent Catastrophe

I've wanted to do Ghost Town for a long time but could never make it work. I spent a lot of time in T or C growing up.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Some really nice running this past weekend.  Congrats to everyone.  This was a cutback week, so only did 10 Saturday.  And since The Hub and I were going out of town for the rest of the weekend, Coach told me I didn't have to run my 8 on Sunday.  Yea!  Slept in (sort of) 2 days in a row.  Felt really good.

Will be back at this upcoming weekend with 20/18, so we'll see how the fueling goes.  As Flower said, got some good advise from PithyDoug re salt intake.  Also, bought a small thermos so I will be trying chicken noodle soup and plan on taking a turkey sandwich, along with other goodies.  Cripes, it's going to be like a small grocery store!  Luckily, we only run about a mile with all that crap on our backs before we hide it in the woods, so it's not too bad.

Have a good one~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

How should I clean/dry my muddy trail shoes? Do you clean yours? How? Do you put them in the dryer?

___

Shake-out run/walk 5.5 mile today. Long-run has taken a toll on feet, knees and legs - trying to be patient with the recovery process.

I've wanted to do Ghost Town for a long time but could never make it work. I spent a lot of time in T or C growing up.

T or C is a fun quirky little town.  I liked their hot springs...  super nice after the race! 

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, crap! Tahoe Rim Trail is already full. Last year it filled in March, I thought I had time

I even have a vacation then. At least they have a waiting list and there's a 50k in Colorado for a fallback.

Since I had a pain-free run today (my first one in weeks) I'm feeling more optimistic, maybe I can join Trey for some of the SCUR races!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016