Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - 2010, Get your feet wet! (Read 685 times)

How should I clean/dry my muddy trail shoes? Do you clean yours? How? Do you put them in the dryer?

I thought washing and drying was bad for running shoes. I sometimes will wait for the caked mud to dry and then it just kind of falls off. I use Neutra Air to get rid of odors that result from them getting wet. I kind of like my running shoes muddy, though. Lets people know I'm making good use of them Smile
      Mud is fairly rare out here...but when they do get too muddy to tolerate I just throw them in the washing machine and let them air dry. 

I've been known to use the hose to clear mine of mud.  But then air dry.  Stuff 'em with newspaper and they'll dry faster.  NEVER put your shoes in the dryer.

New 100-Miler in Southern Oregon.  I believe Hal Koerner put this together.  Any takers??

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New 100-Miler in Southern Oregon.  I believe Hal Koerner put this together.  Any takers??

I have a friend who just moved to Ashland...so this is pretty tempting.  Looks like a nice course...

I need to see if the lottery gods smile on me Feb 6-7. 

It's a beautiful area.  Ashland is where they hold Siskiyou Out Back (SOB) in July.  I won't be running it this year , but it's a great course.

{{{lottery gods smiling on Chris}}}

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

I would love to get to do a race out on the west coast. The scenery looks so beautiful. Not that my scenery at home isn't pretty, but it's just so different!

I'm signed up for an 8 mile trail race tomorrow at the National White Water Center. I'm hoping it doesn't get put off until next weekend. They close the trails if they are too wet since their main purpose is for mountain biking. I keep telling myself it will be fine because this week will be dryer than next week is supposed to be. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's still on when I wake up in the morning!

We're all rootin' fer ya!!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

We're all rootin' fer ya!!

LOL! All her finger crossing worked. They held the race.

It was muddy and lots of fun. After about three miles we got spaced apart enough that I could blaze the down hills. Amazing how many people were scared of actually running down the muddy hills. I don't think they understand if you take quick light steps you slip less than taking slow steps where your feet have contact with the slick mud longer. Anyway, it was tons of fun. Unfortunately my head cold was definitely in my chest by the end of the race. I had to do a lot of walking up hills at the end since my lungs  couldn't take it.

My time was 1:31:55 for 8.2 ish miles. I'm pretty happy with that since I am under the weather and wasn't able to put in a true race effort. It's taken me most of the day to start feeling human again. Hopefully I'll sleep like a log tonight.

Ahsley - Congrats on the race!  {{{Sending healing vibes so you feel better soon.}}}

20 trail miles this a.m. in about 5:12.  Took a plethora of goodies in my baggies, as well as a thermos of chicken noodle soup.  The soup - MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!  It absolutely hit the spot both times!  And yes, I shared with the others.  I think it was a significant help in keeping the nausea at bay.  I also kept my eating up, and anytime I felt even the slightest twinge of nausea, I walked and ate for a couple of minutes.

Tomorrow I have 18 on the books, and the plan is to stick to a strict 20/2 regimen (run 20 min/walk 2 min), thereby hopefully getting enough calories in me that I don't fall apart.  Also, The Hub is going to be away watching the football game, so I can't cal him to come to my rescue.

Off to see "Book of Eli" tonight.  I've been hearing good things about it.  And Denzel Washington . . .  'nuf said.

Later ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

My time was 1:31:55 for 8.2 ish miles. I'm pretty happy with that since I am under the weather and wasn't able to put in a true race effort. It's taken me most of the day to start feeling human again. Hopefully I'll sleep like a log tonight.

Awesome race today, Ashley - I would love to see you flying down the muddy hills; just can imagine the courage it takes to do that in the mud. I have fallen a few times while running very slowly so I am scared of imagining what would happen if I fell while flying down a hill; I would have been one of those folks you just mentioned.....

Sounds like you had a load of fun and I think you will sleep well tonight. Go Ashley!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

20 trail miles this a.m. in about 5:12. --------------

--------------Tomorrow I have 18 on the books, and the plan is to stick to a strict 20/2 regimen (run 20 min/walk 2 min), thereby hopefully getting enough calories in me that I don't fall apart.  Also, The Hub is going to be away watching the football game, so I can't cal him to come to my rescue.

Off to see "Book of Eli" tonight.  I've been hearing good things about it.  And Denzel Washington . . .  'nuf said.

Later ~

Back to back 20/18 blows my mind!!!! 

Enjoy the movie tonight - I haven't seen it. "Chicken Soup for the ultra-runner", the title of a new book?! Thank Goodness you felt better today. Let us know how the 18 goes tomorrow. I will be checking in to report on my weekly long-run tomorrow after the fact. Supposed to be rainy with thunderstorms, low 46, high 70. Sounds pretty awful but maybe the rain will hold off while I am out there.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Hi everyone.  I keep checking in here and you all are inspiring me to run more.  Your dedication, as a collective group, to get out and run, works wonders for those of us that don't truly enjoy running (but I do love the trails). So I'm starting to ramp up my running after several months of very little of it.  In December i hit my lowest total in 3 years - a measly 17.6 miles for the whole month!!!

So my husband and i found a trail run to add another state to our collection.  We're planning on Devil Mountain 50k in July, near Pagosa Springs, Colorado.  My brother lives  near the four corners area, and we had promised a road trip to visit him this summer. This run works in well with our plans to see Durango, Silverton, Ouray, and Mesa Verde National Monument.

I've been helping a friend train for a half marathon, and we've ramped our miles up fairly quickly this month, going from 4-5-6 and 7 miles today.  The half marathon is in March, and the long run schedule fits right into our 50k training. Except that my friend (no names! ) stayed out too late last night and begged off today's 7 miles, so I had to go it alone.  In the 37 degree rain.  Along a large fast-moving and deep canal that carries snow melt, that I'm very scared of falling into, getting hypothermic, and drowning.  When we run together we always point out spots where rescue might be possible - like overhanging tree branches, and ledges where we might be able to get out.  But with no one else out there on the trail - well, let's just say I stayed as far to the other side of the trail as possible! At lease I got the 7 miles done, though. 

Take a look at the photo mosaic I made from everyone's posts - it's in the photo thread that's pinned to the top of the forum.  I really get inspired by all the pictures.  SOooooooooo pretty!

mta: I made my running log visible for group members, figuiring this might make me more accountable as I ramp up my mileage again.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                          Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Ran the Paint Creek 50K (FA) today.

(Not a true trail run, but mostly on unpaved (and snow covered) rail trails with a few steep dirt roads thrown in.)

Had planned to do a run/walk so as not to aggravate my ankle, but...

Decided I'd maybe run the first leg, 7+mi (the course was two out&backs) - I haven't had any consecutive miles in weeks and weeks.

Wound up hooking up with a group of guys and ran the whole thing (except for a few short walks on a couple of really steep uphills).

Trail was covered in icy, packed snow with uneven footing - so, it was work and a worry (about snapping another hoof). But, the effort was worth it.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Hey all,

Nice racing Buzzie and Ashley!  Great runs Leslie and trails2run!

I did an easy 10 this morning.  I'm still a bit chipped from last weekend's race (Ghost Town 38.5).  Hoping to do about 3 hours easy tomorrow, then work on some projects around the house. 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.

- Chris

Ostrich runner

I think I have sorted out most of the issues with my left leg I've been having since Tecumseh.  I saw an osteopath who unstuck my fibula and sacrum.  10 miles and 30 stream crossings this morning with no issues anyhow.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum