Half Marathon Trainers

Let the countdown begin - when's your half? (Read 1155 times)

Duke City 1/2 marathon on October 22nd, in Albuquerque, NM. And I, like Lisak, have wisely decided on the half rather than the full. Something about leg revolt at mile 12 of a planned 16-miler that tends to sway the thinking. Tongue
      Yay Matt - Glad to know that I 'wisely' decided (was feeling pretty wimpy for a few days but decided I'd rather be wimpy than injured!) Susie - I'm in the north Cincinnati area - how bout you? lisa k
      Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
        Lisak, on'e just got to know one's limitations! Big grin Much better to find them the easy way than the hard way.
        bas

October 15, the Amsterdam half marathon - on the same day of the Amsterdam marathon. The marathon starts in the morning, the HM in the afternoon. Last year this schedule made it possible for me to see Haile Gebreselassie run (or rather: fly) through the streets of my neighborhood, before going to the start myself. That was an amazing sight! I have just returned from a vacation which did *not* involve running. I did hike in the French Alps though, so let's call that cross training Smile An important milestone on the way to my HM is a 10 mile race in Amsterdam on september 15. It makes me a little nervous that it is so close already... This evening I did my first run after returning - a not too fast hour. Now I need to watch out that I don't let the nerves take over as that would certainly lead to too much training for my own good. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

An important milestone on the way to my HM is a 10 mile race in Amsterdam on september 15.
            backroadrunner and I are doing a 10 miler the day after that--I'll be wishing you luck as I try to relax the day before our race. Glad to hear your vacation was nice...got any pics to share? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Indianapolis Half Marathon on October 21st. I did the KY Derby marathon in May but didn't run for over a month after that because I was traveling. When I tried to get back in, I just didn't have any motivation. I hope this will get me back into my routine.
              bas

backroadrunner and I are doing a 10 miler the day after that--I'll be wishing you luck as I try to relax the day before our race. Glad to hear your vacation was nice...got any pics to share?
                Then I'll wish the two of you luck as I try to recover the day after my race Smile I uploaded some pictures of the trip to the mountains with my daughter here. (Click on thumbnails to enlarge them, click once more to enlarge more, then navigate with arrow keys.) bas

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, Bas...what a beautiful place to camp! Looks like your daughter had a great time, too! That would be difficult terrain to run, for certain. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bas

Wow, Bas...what a beautiful place to camp! Looks like your daughter had a great time, too! That would be difficult terrain to run, for certain.
                    That's right: both of us had a very good time! And no, running was out of the question. But in the village where we camped I saw several people running. And even there the roads were steep! As a Flatlander, I was impressed... bas

Wingz

Professional Noob

I uploaded some pictures of the trip to the mountains with my daughter here.
                      Lovely!

Roads were made for journeys...

I think I'm the late one in the bunch: Grand Rapids Marathon & HM, Oct. 29 -- weather should be gloriously crisp and cool by then!
                        I'm running this one w/ zoom-zoom. Can't wait!!
                        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                          Hey, intherunning! Your HM was today. Howdja do? BTW, one of my older brothers graudated from SUNY Geneseo many moons ago (back in the 70's). My family grew up in the Utica area and now we're strewn all over the country.
                            Hi Matt, Thanks for asking. I ended up not participating in the Geneseo race because 5 miles would have been on fresh, loose stone roads and I cannot run that surface. Being a diabetic I MUST be careful of foot injuries. Instead I had planned to run my own mapped 13.1 on Saturday with my son but as it turned out he couldn't come home for the week end and we got hit with the remnents of tropical storm Ernesto. The day was a drenching down pour. Years ago, before my dx, I did a 20K in similar conditions and it was fine. But now, with the risk of blisters, I had to call it off. My son and I are going to try to do it next Saturday. The extra few days of rest are actually helping as last week's 11 miler drained me this week. As a diabetic, I can only consume carbs in small quantities at a time so it is easy to become depleted and remaine under-charged for quite a while. I failed to take in carbs during this run (stupid) and failed to eat adequately following the run (equally stupid). So with those three factors (reasons, not excuses) my half is postponed. Hey, it's a small world. We live about 25 minutes west of Geneseo, and I lived in the Utica NY area from '76 - '88. We were in a small town east called Dolgeville (Herkimer-Little Falls area). I had taught in several schools out there before moving to western NY. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Good luck next week then!

Roads were made for journeys...

sjwick

Lisa K I'm from North of Dayton.