The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

Perry and I won the overall male and female titles today at the CBL race.  3 Halls were there and 3 Offenbachers (only 2 raced).  They tried to give the overall female award to Christi Offenbacher (twice - even after both Neal and I told them that that was not correct).  It turns out that they had written my bib number down incorrectly when I crossed the finish line. I think I've had 4 or more finish time glitches - not sure what's up with that, but I'm starting to expect it.  Somehow it didn't surprise me when they announced someone else as the winner.  The incredible part is that she was 30 or 40 seconds behind me, I think - AND, it was only her second race....EVER.  Of course, she is an Offenbacher....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Peter told me that I'm the first male non-Offenbacher to win that race - it has been going on about 5 years, and his uncle won the first, and he won the rest, until this year.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

The Rapps ran rampant over the competition on Solomons! I'd say Perry was about due for a victory, and he's now thoroughly established himself as a legit sub-18:00 5k runner. Meanwhile it's bizarre how Crystal just can't catch a break when it comes to getting "glitched".

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Unofficial results from this morning can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/lizardtiming/race-results

Durrr

I had a promising premonition that Perry would pull off a prominent prevailing over the participants --- especially with Joe relegated to the walking ranks. And I'm glad there were two finishers after Joe, lest we have to name him the Alpha-Omega of the event (that is, he who was first last year shall be last from first this year).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At awards I asked Brandon if he is running the 10-miler, and he said probably. He ran 1:37:52 (6:01p) pace today for (a distant) 4th. The winner ran 1:33:25 (5:45p).

Katie absolutely crushed the female field, running with Josh Dawson all the way to 1:46:20 (6:32p). They negative split it, and I lost sight of them before halfway when they picked it up on purpose. The next females in were the Navy girls & U'tonna at 1:58-1:59 (7:15p).

I ran 1:51:49 (6:53p), passing three guys in my AG, one at the very end, to squeak into 3rd AG.

Phil ran 1:54:18 (7:02p), just ahead of German Alba (1:54:27 @ 7:02p) and ahead of Prasad (1:55:26 @ 7:06p) and all the females.

Results: http://annapolisstriders.org/2012/resultsMETR2012.htm

Durrr

I was quite startled by how much Phil improved from last year. Actually I thought he would be just as likely to slip over the 7:20/mi pace he ran last year. He has been running consistently down south, yes, but mainly just light 4-mile runs with very little in the way of speed work. And Phil would have to admit that he bombed pretty hard in that last TNT 16-mile long run on 08/18/12 (the end of the Joe Logging Era). Yet all that aside, he showed up in Annapolis yesterday and came quite close to averaging <7:00/mi for a 26.2k race.

According to Brandon Demer's post on Facebook, he blazed through the opening 10 miles in 58:20, ran 5:38 for mile 12, and then struggled in the final 5k. Majorly positive splits, indeed, because if he ran the opening 10 at 5:50/mi pace and finished in 1:37:51 (6:01/mi overall), that means he ran his final 10k in 39:31 (6:22/mi). But needless to say, if he can run 10 miles in 58:20 and then keep going fairly fast for another 10k, then he's a dead ringer for running sub-58:00 in an actual 10-mile race. He probably has a decent chance of cracking 57:00. And is Katie Ogden going to run in Piney Point next week? I heard she has a marathon in October, which I sort of assumed must be the Baltimore Marathon, but perhaps it's actually the Marine Corps Marathon (10/28/12). That would give her plenty of time to taper after our Ten --- at which I'm sure she'd pick off all women and most men!

To me the most conspicuous matter relating to the Metric Marathon is ... where was Joe? Surely his 5k march on Saturday wasn't his only effort over the weekend. Well, I just hope we won't again be questioning his whereabouts next Sunday.

philibusters

I was quite startled by how much Phil improved from last year. Actually I thought he would be just as likely to slip over the 7:20/mi pace he ran last year. He has been running consistently down south, yes, but mainly just light 4-mile runs with very little in the way of speed work. And Phil would have to admit that he bombed pretty hard in that last TNT 16-mile long run on 08/18/12 (the end of the Joe Logging Era). Yet all that aside, he showed up in Annapolis yesterday and came quite close to averaging <7:00/mi for a 26.2k race.

According to Brandon Demer's post on Facebook, he blazed through the opening 10 miles in 58:20, ran 5:38 for mile 12, and then struggled in the final 5k. Majorly positive splits, indeed, because if he ran the opening 10 at 5:50/mi pace and finished in 1:37:51 (6:01/mi overall), that means he ran his final 10k in 39:31 (6:22/mi). But needless to say, if he can run 10 miles in 58:20 and then keep going fairly fast for another 10k, then he's a dead ringer for running sub-58:00 in an actual 10-mile race. He probably has a decent chance of cracking 57:00. And is Katie Ogden going to run in Piney Point next week? I heard she has a marathon in October, which I sort of assumed must be the Baltimore Marathon, but perhaps it's actually the Marine Corps Marathon (10/28/12). That would give her plenty of time to taper after our Ten --- at which I'm sure she'd pick off all women and most men!

To me the most conspicuous matter relating to the Metric Marathon is ... where was Joe? Surely his 5k march on Saturday wasn't his only effort over the weekend. Well, I just hope we won't again be questioning his whereabouts next Sunday.

I was surprised by my performance yesterday.   I was hoping to edge last year's time and not sure if I would.  I don't think I would be surprised either way if I had finished a minute faster or slower than last year, but was surprised to be four minutes faster.  I think I actually lost a little confidence last week after taking almost 7 hours to complete that 50K+ course (a little under 33 miles whereas a true 50K is a little over 31 miles) and then being too sore to run for most of this week.  The August 18, 2012 workout wasn't really on my mind at all.  That seemed like a lifetime ago and I don't think I was particularly motivated for that run as I was pretty consumed with nursing hamstring and calf injuries.  The 16 mile run I was thinking about yesterday was actually the one back from early June on Rte. 249.  I was in great shape at that point and I was wondering how the experiences would compare.  Due to the idea racing conditions (Except for the rain) and just to having more motivation in a race than in training run, yesterday felt easier, but I would have loved to see what myself from early June before the hamstring issues got serious would have done in yesterday's conditions.

I do think the 50K last week helped me yesterday.   

I am taking my dad to a doctor's appointment at 11:30.  I am hoping to get back in time to run today before getting back, but I have no idea how long the doctor's appointment will take.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Katie Ogen is racing Marine Corps - she & Josh Dawson are aiming to break 3. So although I have no actual intel, I guess we're likely to see her at Piney Point.

Joe skipped the race b/c he wonders if he has a hairline stress fracture, and thinks running fast is a bad idea right now.

Phil, gimme a ring if you find time to run today.

Durrr

How did Joe manage to do that to himself?

I read Brandon's MM FB post again, and now the meaning seems more clear that his final 5k of the race yesterday was slower than Katie's final 5k in the race.

Brandon Demers
                      Yesterday near Dunkirk via mobile
                      Metric marathon pain train. 5820 thru ten. 538 12th mile, then my last 5k was slower then Katie's. ouch. Won flowers.
                      Like ·

13 people like this.

philibusters

I have got my metrics marathon garmin information up now.  I had 7 straight miles under 7 minutes before going over 7 for the next three.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And Phil did go faster than me in the middle, until we hit the hill, where I knew it was the hill, and he thought it was some minor curvy sections before the hill, so he was saving his energy for the imaginary big hill Smile

Mile Me Phil  
                          1 7:06 7:35  
                          2 6:50 7:11  
                          3 6:45 7:08  
                          4 6:58 7:03  
                          5 6:59 6:59 =
                          6 6:52 6:57  
                          7 6:51 6:57  
                          8 6:49 6:55  
                          9 6:54 6:47 *
                          10 6:58 6:43 *
                          11 7:00 6:51 *
                          12 7:02 7:04  
                          13 7:13 7:09 *
                          14 7:05 7:11  
                          15 6:59 7:39  
                          16 6:32 6:51  
                          end 5:06 6:01  

Congrats on some pretty good races. I'm happy to see you both put in an honest effort. I'm now confident I would not have been able to keep up with either of you.

I believe I weakened my navicular bone (top of the upper middle of the foot) while doing a few barefoot miles the other day. I had been in a slump and just wanted to do something fun, so i ran barefoot and it felt great, but then a couple of days later when I went out for a run my navicular instantly felt acute pains. I've been treating it gingerly since. I think the first few days it stayed weak, but now I believe easy running for it will be therapeutic.

That would be great, except I woke up Sunday feeling like I was hungover and barely did anything to earn the feeling. Turns out I have a sore throat and I can't really trace where I caught it. I'm not enthusiastic about running in 50 degree windy air with a sore throat. That temperature isn't a big deal really, except it represents a 30 degree temperature drop from my last run, so I do think it would be a significant contrast for my throat. By January I will find 50 degree days hot.

I'm upset that I missed Sunday. I was looking forward to being social with the group and missed a now rare opportunity to say hello to Phil. Between the foot thing, the sore throat, and the rain forecast I just couldn't bring myself to make an appearance. I at least hope to show up for the 10 miler next weekend, but I'm quite doubtful I will do anything more than a 10 mile easy run.

Going forward from here I really need to just focus on consistent running to get me ready for handling a marathon. I keep preaching this line, but have yet to get on board.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not sure if this link will work, but I will try it: http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/shareeslideshow/AlbumID=10242378014/PictureID=544314855014/albumcount=1/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/pns/snapfish/share/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/cobrandOid=1000/campaignName=ShareeNewReg_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SANR

I passed the guy in the red shirt turning into the school - back where those cars are behind him to the right - so you can see that I put some serious ground on him. But you can also see the guy in front of me, who easily sprinted away from me when I caught him.

I think this is just after the aid station where I took longer drinking than Peter Tango, and he snapped us when I was catching back up to him -- Peter is in the foreground: http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/shareeslideshow/AlbumID=10242378014/PictureID=544285800014/albumcount=1/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/pns/snapfish/share/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/cobrandOid=1000/campaignName=ShareeNewReg_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SANR

And Phil early on: http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/shareeslideshow/AlbumID=10242378014/PictureID=544301587014/albumcount=1/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/pns/snapfish/share/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/cobrandOid=1000/campaignName=ShareeNewReg_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SANR

Starting line. From left to right I can see Matt Mace in baby blue, then mid-right together I see Brandon in orange, Josh in bright green, and Katie in bright green shorts: http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/shareeslideshow/AlbumID=10242378014/PictureID=544267446014/albumcount=1/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/pns/snapfish/share/p=17991349821314665/l=14855017014/g=111123938/cobrandOid=1000/campaignName=ShareeNewReg_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SANR

Durrr

Someone did not appreciate that photo set.

Brandon Demers
                                I hate it when you don't get a single good running pic in a race.
                                Like ·  · Share · @BrandonDemers on Twitter · a few seconds ago via Twitter ·

Ogden and Dawson fared better. Did they coordinate the neon green/black shorts/shirts inverse combo?