The beautiful persons club

Ironman (Read 417 times)

Non ducor, duco.

Marcus How long ago did you do your Ironman? Are you gonna do another? Tell all.

Non ducor, duco.

psst... I think he's ignoring me. Someone else ask him.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marcus, I'm asking, too!

The Greatest of All Time

1999 I am not ruling another one out, but I have no current plans. It takes a lot of time. You can train just to finish it, like a marathon and could maybe get by with less training than what I put in. Of course, I never do crap like that half-cocked. FWIW, at my peak I was training around 25 hours a week. If I had to quess I would say I ran 45-50 miles per week, rode 200-230 miles, and swam about 20,000 yards. Every week I did one 100 mile ride, one 20 mile run, and swam 3 days a week. The rest of the workouts were scheduled to increase speed or muscular endurance. I really don't remember exactly how I trained. I do remember being tired and hungry all the time. But...you could get by with much less than that. You will just be in for a long damn day come race time. Big grin MTA: I was not ignoring you. I have just been very busy and since I am not running right now RA is not high on my list of things to do/read/post.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Non ducor, duco.

Cool. That is some crazy training! I have a friend that wants to do this. I think he's insane given what he's got going on in his life right now. I figured you were busy, but we do miss you around here.

The Greatest of All Time

It looks like knee surgery is in my immediate future. Saw my ortho today. We are still not sure what's wrong, but it's possible the MRI missed it. Oh well. I need to know, you know? If I can't run, fine. I will move on, but I need to know what the status of my right knee is because it's not right. I ran 2 little miles last night at about 6:45 pace. Aerobically I was not labored, but today I can't walk without a tremendous amount of pain and it hurt while running but it sort of gets numb and then hurts worse the next morning. Ack. It's been 90 days.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marcus, I am so sorry. My right knee isn't nearly in the same level of injury that yours is, but I'm forcing myself to take time off for the rest of the week and am not at all certain that I will ever have a first marathon, much less any subsequent ones, at this point. Right now cycling is looking REALLY appealing. Has your doc said what kind of outcome surgery would yield? Might this make running in the future a strong probability? My MIL and her sister both have had surgery to repair meniscus tears and both are able to run (well, my MIL was until she severely sprained her ankle, at least). Her sister is in her 50s and still running marathons...and kicking ass. What does your doc believe the specific problem to be, or does he not have suspicions?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marcus, that really, really sucks. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Best of luck with your surgery. BTW, your podcasts are awesome. Smile Zoomy, you're injured too?! Yikes, I'm sorry. Do you know what it is? Crossing my fingers for both of you guys.

Amy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marcus, that really, really sucks. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Best of luck with your surgery. BTW, your podcasts are awesome. Smile Zoomy, you're injured too?! Yikes, I'm sorry. Do you know what it is? Crossing my fingers for both of you guys.
                    Marcus has podcasts?! No way! Where can I download them? I'm super loving podcasts while running, instead of the same old tired music. Yeah, I've been fighting my right knee for probably 9 weeks, now. I know exactly what brought it on, too--not taking the week after my 25k easy...I tried to dive right back in to a 30 mile week. I figured, hey, my peak week before the race was 40, then I had an easy week prior to the race, so 30 after the race seemed easy...wrong. I've been dealing with some sort of tendonitis or patellofemoral syndrome ever since. Doing plenty of quad exercises have probably allowed me to run, period, but in the past week things worsened some. So I'm forcing myself to take 5 days off--hopefully that will help. And now my left outer foot area and big toe are bothering me, too...I'm certain from compensating for the issue on the right side. I've had peroneal tendonitis before (mostly in my right foot a year ago), so I'm pretty annoyed by this. Another issue that can take months to heal, even with easy training. Not sure how in the hell I'm going to resolve these things under marathon training workload. Undecided Right now I'm not even as concerned with the marathon...if I can't run it, I can't run it. I just don't want to take months off and have to start over. *sigh* Cry

~ Sarah Kay

BTW, your podcasts are awesome. Smile
                      I'm currently listening to your mix as I work. The mix at 16:00ish is pretty sweet. Nice flow too. Nice setup btw. Technics 1200 m3d, DJM-600, CDJ-800 MK2, possible Serato, Ortofon needles, and Sony V700DJ, am I right? Wink I use to have a very similiar setup but sold it a month ago to get a synthesizer.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marcus has podcasts?! No way! Where can I download them?
                        Nevahmind...ha, helps if I look at Marcus' signature link...way cool. I know what I will be doing today as I am sitting around not running... Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Non ducor, duco.

Cool! Im checking those podcasts out. Marcus, bummer on the knee. I hope you find a really great surgeon. You are so amazingly fit that I am sure you will be able to rehab it in no time! You dont have to be running to come visit us. Wink

Non ducor, duco.

Dude, Im having another double post day.

The Greatest of All Time

Let me try and update this thread a little bit. First of all, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concern. Yes Now, assuming my knee gets scoped I should be able to be cycling within a couple of days. I imagine maybe running in 4 weeks. My ortho told me that knee MRI's miss pathology 5-15% of the time. There was nothing operable on my MRI, i.e. torn meniscus, etc. I had a stress reaction and some fluid behind the knee cap. However since nothing really bad was on the MRI I should have recovered fully by now and I have not. I can tell that something in there is not right, but the MRI didn't see it. So it's either something really minor structurally or the MRI simply missed it. We are at the point of doing a diagnostic athroscopy to go in and have a look see. If he sees something he can fix, he wil fix it and I will rehab and return to running. If he sees nothing that can be fixed, like a very small lesion or simply sees nothing, than I am probably done running for good. Right now the post run pain is not worth it. In other words, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. And I think running right now (when I have) is just making it worse. But don't cry for me Argentina. Not being able to run is not a huge deal. It was back in April because I was in pretty good running shape with a goal marathon 3 weeks away. It was painful watching that slip away as my running fitness rapidly declined. But I am over it. I belong to a pretty nice gym with nice equipment. Running was just one means to maintaing aerobic fitness, but it's not the only one. Big grin I haven't gained any weight in the last 90 days, but have lost about 5 pounds. From an objective standpoint I am still fit. Just not as running fit as I was. But I have more time on my hands so I have been doing more music stuff as some of you have noticed. I hope you like what you're hearing. Those mixes take some thought to put together. Music shopping on Beatport.com is a chore that is very time consuming. I typically have to listen to 300 songs to buy 10. Yeah, I am that picky. And that gear setup was what I had last summer. It took up way too much room and with everything going digital, I finally bought into using software as decks (turtables, etc). But I use a Hardware controller which is like a mixer and CD deck control in one box. I can't imagine DJ'ing with a mouse but I have seen it done. See pic. I know y'all ain't interested in all this so I will spare you. I havent' wandered back in the swamp since it was destructed and reborn. I hope to have a new mix posted up by Sunday night.

The Greatest of All Time

I'm currently listening to your mix as I work. The mix at 16:00ish is pretty sweet. Nice flow too. Nice setup btw. Technics 1200 m3d, DJM-600, CDJ-800 MK2, possible Serato, Ortofon needles, and Sony V700DJ, am I right? Wink I use to have a very similiar setup but sold it a month ago to get a synthesizer.
                                Technics, check DJM-600, check CDJ-800MK2, check Ortofon, check V700DJ, check No Serato though. Those Sony headphones are the only ones I have ever needed. They are the bomb.