Ultra Runners

April 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 31 times)

Just a dude.

This was a cutback week for me. I ran 53 total miles for me with about 6200 feet of elevation.

I did a good old fashioned track workout on Wednesday (10x400).

My long run was only 15 miles, but it had about 3000 feet of elevation. I'm finally starting to feel like I am getting a bit stronger on hills. Still no where near mountain goat status.

My plan B May 50 miler hasn't been canceled yet. I'm sure it will be, but the fact that it hasn't has helped with the motivation.

That 4 miles an hour virtual ultra idea is crazy. There was no way I could clear out enough time to try something like that. My hats off to the folks that participated...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I finished the week with 75 miles, not much vert, around 5200.  Next up is Virtual Pandemic 6-hour on 4/18.

Still watching the Quarantine Backyard Ultra from time to time.  I'm rooting for the guy running around the inside of a coffee shop.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(It was Matt Shepard running in the coffee shop in western Canada, b/c there was blizzard weather there, he said)

Anna Carlsson (running in the snow in northern Sweden) is apparently recently out as I found this update by Laz two hours ago:

"45 yards in the bank.
        momentarily starting 46.
        anna is running in a snowstorm now,
        her team ran out of gas for the generator,
        and their battery is down to 3%"

Down to Radez (Czech, on treadmill) and Michael Wardian (running outside) now, apparently, 46 yards.

(I did 9 yards for 40mi on Sat, and was happy to get the distance, b/c I definitely wouldn't have done that without the Quarantine Backyard to push me)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Great stories coming out of the Backyard, virtual edition.  Hoping it's never repeated, though.  For many reasons.  Nice yards, Perros.

(MTA: To explain: the event was a blast, and I’d do it again for sure.  Having to do another virtual event due to a pandemic is what I’d rather not see repeated. And it would be impossible to recreate the crazy spontaneity.  And I doubt so many elites would participate in a normal racing season)

Pain is my friend

The Quarantine backyard ultra was fun to follow. If I wasn't oncall I would have joined in.  I hope they do another race like this again. I would love to test myself.

Last week I got in 67.6 miles with 5500 ft vert. Did a solo 20 miler. Did a 5k time trial in 18:37. Dang that hurt. I haven' run a 5k in 7 years.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

drock69

Did 7 laps in the Quarantine Backyard Ultra, rounded the last lap up to get to 50km. Didn't really feel great but was pretty consistent, about 45 minutes per lap then 15 minutes rest. Lots of pavement running. 49 miles for the week, with not much vert. They're encouraging people to run local so no trails for me

https://www.strava.com/activities/3255503211

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

nOOky

44.83 running miles for the week with 2,213 feet of gain, 103.57 cycling miles with 4,217 feet of gain all total 12.5 hours. Not as many hours as I wanted, but not bad considering I'm working a bit longer hours these days.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Man you folks are impressive with the backyard ultra laps. I considered it and it would have been a good early birthday gift to myself. I think the boots I've been wearing for automotive repairs/work are partially to blame for my ankle hurting. It seemed to be getting better then after wearing them all day yseterday even my calf felt sore and my ankle tendon was hurting again. At least it is raining today so my adventurous solo Silver State 50k would have been perfect (for me) weather. I'm one of those nut jobs who likes cold and miserable temperatures to go with a 30+ mile run on trails I'm not familiar with for a solo 50k attempt.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Just a dude.

Wow Brewing Runner. If you were doing it a week from Sunday (the 19th) I'd be tempted to try it with you. I was kinda looking at doing the climb to the towers, "Jimmy's Loop", and then come back down (so 30ish miles) if I could figure out carrying enough. (The 50k looks like it goes through private property? Not sure, never been up there...)

-Kelly

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

3DATF finally announced they are postponing the race until Sep 29- Oct 4.  I've been expecting this for a couple weeks but it still comes as a disappointment.  Now my tentative fall schedule is all up in the air because the new date is a week after Beebe Farm 12-hour which I'd intended as my fall goal race, and 3 weeks before Piedmont 8-hour, one of my fall favorites.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

skim1124

Running to eat

Finished a 65-mile week, all on paved and dirt roads of rural Michigan.  The rest of life is pretty uncertain, but running's been consistent.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

Pain is my friend

Had a hard week. 10x3 min at 5k pace for speed work. Then a trail marathon with 5,500 ft of vert. Finished the week with 80 miles.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Sort of a ho-hum week for me.  45 miles, not much vert, nothing particularly fun or interesting.   But happy to be running!

RWD

I'm stuck at ~35-36 mpw the past month or so. Even though I have more time because I don't commute, I'm not translating that into more miles. Not a big deal, but it's funny how I seem to end up around the same mileage without planning. Ran 5.2 miles in the snow today, despite getting snowflakes in my eyes several times. The snow didn't accumulate on the sidewalks or roads so it's not the end of the world. It looks like by next weekend it'll be decent again, but I'm over the cold weather. Yet I still live in Minnesota...

Just a dude.

62.4 miles with about 4200 feet of elevation. I did do a track workout as well...

Long run was a 27 miler on trails. I did a 13.5 loop twice which was about 6.5 up and then 6.5 down. All runnable. I ran the whole thing, but my 2nd lap was about 15 minutes slower. I think I went out too fast... But I'm learning and getting better... (That run was about 3000 feet of my elevation gain.)

The 50 miler I've targeted at the end of May hasn't been cancelled yet. The RD posted that he expects that it will get cancelled, but he won't make the final call until May 1. So here's hoping... /shrug

Many of my usual running places are getting way crowded... I'm gonna start looking for more off the beaten path places I guess...

Glad to see a lot of you are still getting out and doing stuff. Cheers!

-Kelly