Ultra Runners

August 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 26 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I'm open to ideas of how to fuel for a 14:00/mi paced 50k. Maybe I should call it a "supported long run" or something like that.

lately on my long runs ive been carrying a small flask with pure maple syrup and also eating the little babybel cheeses. easy to carry and they have their own rind! been saving a lot of money that way

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I do like babybell cheese but I'd eat it all just because it's there.

I have a maple syrup packet a friend gave me. He bought them for something else and during some of our longer runs he has brought them along. I even asked "would you have EVER thought of eating maple syrup on a long run/ride as being a thing?" nope.

I outlined my nutrition plan during a short run this morning. Even made a gopro video about it (currently uploading).

• Eat about every hour. That's probably how long it will take me to get from aid station to aid station. I'll have snacks and supplies with me since I'm unfamiliar with this organization and their aid stations. 
      • Bring a bag to make leaving the aid station easier. This might help other people coming in due to the social distancing requirements.
      • POSSIBLY bring my reusable cup (if I can find it) to get water to drink at the aid station while bottles are filled. 
      • Drink Gatorade. I imagine it's going to be in cups as I pull into aid stations. I'm not sure what other option I have. Bring tailwind and add it to my bottle before they fill them? Maurten 320 drink mix is just carbs. Might not go over too well. 
      • Bring the vest. I could PROBABLY make it with just one handheld. I'd rather not find out the hard way that isn't enough. I just wish it had a spot to hold trekking poles and I'm kind of mad I didn't buy a new one when Ultimate Direction was slashing prices in April on their brand new vests. Also, it can hold the gopro
      • Have fun, and maybe get into race spirit to see what I could do when I try. It shouldn't be TOO hot compared to what TRT was going to be.

This is about as KISS as I can make it. Especially on a slapped together race plan with non-specific training and SLIGHT familiarity on the course. If there was a way to share live tracking I'd totally do it so "all y'all" could have something to occupy your time on Sunday.

EDIT: Oh yeah. a 12-13 minute pace is under 7 hours which is cool. I'm basing that off a 22 mile long "race" I did as a supported long run because I had a free weekend, and my TRT 55k experience. I wore the vest for both of these. Good thing I put some notes in there.

edit #2: weather loooks good. 50-80 with a light breeze. I bought some spring energy gels, a tailwind pack, and a honey stinger.  I plan to take just the hand held and my GoPro because aid stations look close enough to make it on 16 ounces of water. Kind of basing this off my last 2 hour road run where I drank a little less than 1oz/mile fully exposed and I believe the trails offer a little more shade. I’ll have to suffer without poles since I haven’t been training with the , or at all. Goal is to have fun. Wife is already saying “yeah you said that last time. I’ll talk to you on Monday” and I feel like every “I know what I did wrong last time” runner repeating a distance they hate.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Have a good day out there tomorrow, RP!  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.  Haven't had any real RR around here for a while.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

2nd that! would also like to hear a report of some kind. my online life consists of this forum and strava and a few youtube comments. i made a RR about my 2000k but i needed a shave & haircut and look like shite and awkward so i didnt tell anyone. i talk so slowly now no one can hear me. i think it's a cadence thing... but here it is: https://youtu.be/cI_mLm4jBN0

80M this week so far. going for x2.5 in the gvrat

if anyone hasn't seen the film 3100 Run and Become it's on Amazon Prime

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

Finished the week with 68.8 mile and only 2k vert. Lots of fast flats stuff. Highlights of the week are the 8 mile tempo run at an ave of 6:28 and 24 mile long run ave 8:11.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wait....y’all want me to actually write a story about my adventures? Have you ever READ anything I have written about running? Check my Strava posts and get back to me about wanting more “stream of consciousness “ ramblings. Maybe the camera IS a better idea. More “in the moment” instead of memory. Although, I oddly enjoy writing the stories without much editing or punctuation.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Just a dude.

Good luck Mr. Problem. I won't be able to make it which has me a bit bummed, but such is life. Hopefully we'll meet at the next one.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

skim1124

Running to eat

Finished a 37-mile week of getting over the calf injury.  First half of the week was about half jogging and half walking and the second half of the week was mainly jogging.  Not 100% yet, but definitely on the mend.  Icing, stretching and reduced mileage are helping.  Hoping to do about 60 miles this week, mainly in Michigan.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was wondering if you were going to be there. I didn’t see anyone who looked like the guy in your photo so I figured you had other things.

Good luck Mr. Problem. I won't be able to make it which has me a bit bummed, but such is life. Hopefully we'll meet at the next one.

-Kelly

6:31 unofficial time. Something between 12 and 13:00/mi pace so I’m happy with the performance. Stomach wasn’t feeling great during the day and I hit a wall (BONK?) around 20-24. I feel better than I remember feeling after Tahoe Rim Trail, and I’d compare it to my PR at CIM this year.

VDOT 53.37 

Sounds like a good day, RP.  You followed your plan.  You worked through the bonk.  You felt good when you finished.  Those aren't easy trails, nice job.  What were the aid stations like, with the covid and all?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Just a touch over 71 miles last week. Missed my LR due to a toddler with a stomach bug, but that's no big deal so far out from my (hopeful) marathon.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sounds like a good day, RP.  You followed your plan.  You worked through the bonk.  You felt good when you finished.  Those aren't easy trails, nice job.  What were the aid stations like, with the covid and all?

Honestly, they were just fine. The MOST I saw was 4 or 5 people at one, we all stayed out of each others way, and weren't there very long. This was at mile 20. Other than that I was alone or MAYBE had one other person at an aid station. Gloves and masks for the volunteers, they'd pour water into your bladder/handheld as much as you wanted, prefilled cups of gatorade, water and coke with peaches and plums (I think) not cut up. I assume they'd cut one if you asked, but I didn't want to try adding peaches to my stomach at any point. Probably wouldn't have helped. Runners didn't wear masks at aid stations, but I never felt like any different than my last ultra marathon or any other event. Aid stations had bobs Red Mill PB&J Oat bars wrapped up, some sea salt chips in bags, and no gels. The RD could have been a little low on funds for stuff after not having ANY of their races so far this year. They could also never have gels and this is a standard aid station for the event. The volunteers seemed ready to fill water and get you on your way if that's what you wanted.

I will say I discovered a rekindled hatred for mountain bikers. Blind turn and I'm hearing disc brakes lock up when I'm halfway through it because three guys are coming a little too quick for a two way trail. Oh and it was either tourists, or just stupid parents, who just ride past me with their kids as if to say "na we can fit. WE don't need to make room or slow down or stop. Otherwise WE would have to put a foot down." dickbags. I can see why people hate trail runners. Taking up so much space and making it hard to ride the flat trails. The hikers I passed were cool. A few had masks and pulled off the trail to mask up so I held my breath going past them.

My garmin died, so I can't figure out how to connect the Strava and Garmin files. I'll have the official time shortely. It is an easier trail than Tahoe Rim Trail 55k. I'd traveled a LARGE amount of the course between Tahoe 200 pacing, Tahoe Rim Trail 55k, hiking and a weekday trail run.

VDOT 53.37 

Just a dude.

Honestly, they were just fine. The MOST I saw was 4 or 5 people at one, we all stayed out of each others way, and weren't there very long. This was at mile 20. Other than that I was alone or MAYBE had one other person at an aid station. Gloves and masks for the volunteers, they'd pour water into your bladder/handheld as much as you wanted, prefilled cups of gatorade, water and coke with peaches and plums (I think) not cut up. I assume they'd cut one if you asked, but I didn't want to try adding peaches to my stomach at any point. Probably wouldn't have helped. Runners didn't wear masks at aid stations, but I never felt like any different than my last ultra marathon or any other event. Aid stations had bobs Red Mill PB&J Oat bars wrapped up, some sea salt chips in bags, and no gels. The RD could have been a little low on funds for stuff after not having ANY of their races so far this year. They could also never have gels and this is a standard aid station for the event. The volunteers seemed ready to fill water and get you on your way if that's what you wanted.

I will say I discovered a rekindled hatred for mountain bikers. Blind turn and I'm hearing disc brakes lock up when I'm halfway through it because three guys are coming a little too quick for a two way trail. Oh and it was either tourists, or just stupid parents, who just ride past me with their kids as if to say "na we can fit. WE don't need to make room or slow down or stop. Otherwise WE would have to put a foot down." dickbags. I can see why people hate trail runners. Taking up so much space and making it hard to ride the flat trails. The hikers I passed were cool. A few had masks and pulled off the trail to mask up so I held my breath going past them.

My garmin died, so I can't figure out how to connect the Strava and Garmin files. I'll have the official time shortely. It is an easier trail than Tahoe Rim Trail 55k. I'd traveled a LARGE amount of the course between Tahoe 200 pacing, Tahoe Rim Trail 55k, hiking and a weekday trail run.

The Flume Trail is notorious for having mountain bikers that think they own it. Also, the course had you going on the Flume trail "backwards", so you probably ran into a lot of bikes. Out of everywhere in this area I run, that's been the worst for trail etiquette. It also has the most out of towners.

Sounds about how I expected. I wish I could have been there.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

RP, congrats! sounds like it went pretty well all considered. about bikers, runners etc. it's the person making the decisions whatever they are doing. i often hear how ppl hate bikers because they dont stop at intersections. that's not fair to all the riders who are safe. but i hear you. it's hard for mtb's and runners to exist on the same trail. i love the Whiskey Basin race in AZ but have run into that problem there, in fact it may be good they were going the opposite way at your event. when going the same direction the leapfrogging is bad when it's hilly and technical

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

skim1124

Running to eat

Can't comment much on bikers on trails, since I never run on single-track mountainous routes.  The trails I run on are wide and flat, and I haven't had or seen any problems with bikers.  They are usually riding at a pretty leisurely pace and most say "On your left" as they come up behind me.

Finished a 67-mile week with a 21-miler today.  The calf strain from 2.5 weeks ago seems to be almost fully healed, though it does feel like it might be more susceptible to injury again if I really push the pace.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)