Ultra Runners

Protein Intake (Read 541 times)

I am experimenting with new food stuffs to take on board whilst I run, I am blessed with a good "ultra tummy" that can take most things. As the distances get longer I note that I need protein and so thinking around what would be the easiest, quickest digestible form.

I am off on a  12 hour ultra soon and thinking cold scrambled egg in mayonaisse/salad cream. I love nuts, but not whilst running as I have a tendency inhale them.

So can any of you chuck some ideas around of protein rich, easily digestible and preferably natural and not out of a packet.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

I use a lot of THIS STUFF... they even have a "high protien" version with 15g of protien... goes down easy, has never given me any stomach problems... Another alternative that works for me is called Ensure. 

A nutritional energy drink that helps provide energy and maintain your health.

Whether you have strict dietary requirements or just need more nutrients, BOOST ® Nutritional Drink can help. Every serving of this delicious nutritional drink delivers 240 calories, 10 g of protein, 26 vitamins and minerals, helpful antioxidants and as much calcium as an 8-oz glass of milk. Complete, balanced nutrition that's equally ideal as a meal replacement or a nutritious snack. Lactose-and gluten-free.

Another great product for me is Clip 2, which also provides protien along with electolytes and amino acids... also goes down quite easy...

As for solid foods, I am quite happy with grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas (cheese), PB&J, etc...

Good luck,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I'm a huge fan of bacon and beer before and during ultras.  Man that bacon is some tasty stuff... mmmmmm. 

Dairy doesn't get your stomach all messed up when running?  I've never done the dairy thing 'cause I've been worried about this.  And beer?!?  Chris - Ugh!

JLynne - I use the Safeway brand of Boost after my LR, but have yet to try it during a run.  Will give it a try this Sunday when I'm able to keep it cold in an ice chest.  The stuff seems like it would be nasty if it wasn't well-chilled.

Jerry - My ultra goddess friend turned me on to turkey and avocado sandwiches.  Not sure of the protein punch, but have about 200 calories per, and it sure is a nice alternative to sweets, salties, etc.  And since I can't do PBJ on the run, gives the protein.

I also drink Amino beginning around Mile 18.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wasatch Speedgoat

An even better version of Ensure is Glucerna, which uses Maltodextrin instead of HFCS. About the same cost and calories.

My stomach is wussy and i can't drink any of this stuff, especially after about 30 miles...so I do plain maltodextrin in my bottles and use First Endurance Liquid Shot, which is a real watery gel that has 400 calories per flask.

At Hardrock it's whatever I can get in my stomach without puking! ;-) Lots and lots of soup!

Steve

Life is short, play hard!

The King of Beasts

Bacon. huh, never thought of that. lots of good salt too...

i will try bacon.

not much help, i like turkey wraped up with a tortilla. 

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Bacon. huh, never thought of that. lots of good salt too...

i will try bacon.

not much help, i like turkey wraped up with a tortilla. 

bacon really sounds nummy! I think I"m going to try this as well!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks guys, I have to say bacon does sound lovely, I have visions of brown toast (with butter) and crispy bacon sandwiches in a foil wrapper waiting for me ( I may even ask someone to put them on the engine manifold to warm it up)

I also like the sound of avocado, just need to think what to do with it!

As for dairy, I just love banana milkshake and have been known to eat peperoni as a tasty snack (all that meat, grease and spice, hhhmmm)

Jerry

You'll ruin your knees!

I also like the sound of avocado, just need to think what to do with it!

...sliced, on the brown toast with bacon! 

I have also sliced it and included it with turkey rolled up in a tortilla... maybe with a little salt!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I have also sliced it and included it with turkey rolled up in a tortilla... maybe with a little salt!

Now....that is good. I have just looked up avocadoes and never realised they were such a good "ultra runner" food

Jerry

Oh man... I think you may have just hit on the perfect ultra food item!! 

Mmmmm!  Tortilla roll up.  Headin' to the store after work . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Gggrr you lot, I have now gone on the hunt for recipes, how about a gourmet brunch, how about...

Peanut, bacon and avocado sandwich

Jerry

You'll ruin your knees!

Oh man... I think you may have just hit on the perfect ultra food item!! 

In 2007, I ran Cactus Rose which requires you to provide your own aid station food (kind of a modified fat ass, if you know what I mean).  I ran the entire race on turkey/avacado tortilla roll ups, PB&J tortilla rollups, Ensure, Pepsi, Mt. Dew and water... maybe had a pizza slice early in the evening.  One of my best races EVAHHHH!

Imminent Catastrophe

In 2007, I ran Cactus Rose which requires you to provide your own aid station food (kind of a modified fat ass, if you know what I mean).  I ran the entire race on turkey/avacado tortilla roll ups, PB&J tortilla rollups, Ensure, Pepsi, Mt. Dew and water... maybe had a pizza slice early in the evening.  One of my best races EVAHHHH!

jlynnbob,

Threadjack: Have you run Bandera? It intrigues me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016