Ultra Runners

February 2021 Training Thread (Read 25 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ending January and beginning February with a snow storm.  Still haven't decided if this is another bust, built up on the news but doesn't live up to the hype, or a real storm.  In any case starting the month with a recovery day after back to back long runs (for me) over the weekend.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

Finished January with 136.02 miles running, 137.25 biking, and 36.34 hiking. 318.6 total miles in 60 hours and 54 minutes. That does not count strength training time, or shoveling snow.

I have been running less miles, but I only run trails in the snow, no road miles, so my pace is down, but the runs are tougher. Quite often I hike on my lunch break, and I have about a 1.8 mile out and back with over 500 feet of gain that I do thrice a week. I put studded tires on the at bike, and have been riding that a lot more. It's fun, but average speeds are only around 6-8 mph depending on the snow. I like to break ground, not ride groomed trails. I XC skied once so far, but the snow sucked.

Looking at my time I'm doing something about 15 hours a week, so I haven't been screwing off. Honestly I don't like running that much that it's all I want to do, I prefer to do other things, mix it up. Riding a fat bike through the snow with just me and the girl dog is about the only thing that makes me feel like a kid again, running is more of a chore.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Pain is my friend

Last month was a good start to the year. Not as many miles as I have done other months. But it was a great month to kick back and try a new diet plan. So far it is going well. I ran 231.9 miles and 27,197 ft vert.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

i had 219M in Jan. struggling with low energy and a grumpy hamstring. keep getting covid tests out of caution so far they are all neg. maybe it's just lack of sun. i am jealous of those of you who have snow esp nooky. i have ridden in snow with homemade tire cables made with twine = so fun!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

214 miles in January, not a huge amount of vert., about 12,000.  Resumed working with my coach in January.  Feeling good and kind of excited about what's ahead.

I attended the WSER aid station captain meeting last Saturday via Zoom. They're doing everything they can to make it happen.  Too early to say what changes might be made in protocols or logistics, next meeting is in March.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

berylrunner

Rick

Sorry for my absence.   Hurt once again in January.   It is my bad luck month.  Pulled calf and a sore hip.  Have a sore back now, but can run through that.  Had one decent long run of 27 miles around Snow Canyon on a tough route.

Good start to February.   My running club is having a vertical challenge this first week.  I would like to win it.  Yesterday I did 31 miles with 10,600 gain on some of the Zion 100 climbs.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yesterday I did 31 miles with 10,600 gain on some of the Zion 100 climbs.

Wow.

nOOky

I'm in for UTMB CCC in August, if covid has simmered down by then. Lots of planning to find lodging and transportation, as well as plan a short vacation after. Seems like training will be the easiest part.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm in for UTMB CCC in August, if covid has simmered down by then. Lots of planning to find lodging and transportation, as well as plan a short vacation after. Seems like training will be the easiest part.

Amazing.  UTMB is (was...) my goal for next year - but I suspect that all the deferrals from this year will make it impossible.  Seems like lots of folk got accepted this year? (IE loads have deferred?!).

nOOky

I dunno about deferrals. But I was automatically in last year anyway, I don't remember any correspondence saying that it would be automatic this year, but perhaps a preferential entry somehow? I sometimes think I should have put in for the UTMB and not the shorter race, but I want to be able to enjoy my time over there, and it's a lot more to ask of my wife. We're actually now bringing a running friend over with us, which will be cool.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

CCC sounds awesome but touring sounds nice too. make the best of both worlds!

46.2M this week. was working a lot and fixing stuff. want to do a self supported 50k in the next couple of weeks.

Beryl, what did you get for vert?

my thoughts on the vert challenge are mixed. after doing a 25 day one in Dec i think my hamstrings shortened and got super tight. still recovering from that. i suppose there is a downside to any kind of challenge but the distance challenge over the summer didnt seem to do as much damage.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

132 miles, 48,500 gain, 39 hours of moving time.  One very understanding wife.  Lucked out with weather and work schedule.  I had a 38 mile, 14,000 all nighter mid week and then finished the week with 6,000 foot days broken up into doubles.  I feel really good.  Only a heel blister.  I was most sore after the first day.  After that the body just got used to it.  Now., back to work and running.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

nOOky

Holy cow that's an epic week!

Got into Mountain Lakes 100, it's 3 weeks after UTMB. I guess that'll be my taper. My profile is all the races I am signing up for, nothing more!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Beryl, awesome! thanks to DW!

Nooky yea for races. congrats on getting into 2 tough races to get into. mt lakes was my dnf and first attempt at 100. i think that was 2.5 years ago and i am still processing it!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

Beryl, I wish I had that kind of time. I would run a ton more miles.

I finished the week with 57 miles and almost 7k vert. Time to step up the miles. Running Red mountain 55k in 4 weeks.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?