Ultra Runners

February 2021 Training Thread (Read 25 times)

Pain is my friend

Consistent is key. You got this. The weather last week was great. This week the snow has slowed things down. Nothing is tracked out. Easy a foot or 2 overnight of new snow.

Thanks guys.  I need a 7:46 pace for BQ and a 7:26 for a PR.  I think I can at least go for the BQ in October if I can be more consistent.

Krash.  Nice week.  The weather must be challenging up north.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Got into Mountain Lakes 100, it's 3 weeks after UTMB. I guess that'll be my taper. My profile is all the races I am signing up for, nothing more!

Congratulations!  If all goes according to plan, I will be volunteering again this year.  The RDs, Todd and Renee, put on fantastic races.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

nOOky

My goal race will be CCC. It's supposedly very hard so I'm not sure how I'll feel going into ML100 3 weeks later. I really want to do Mountain Lakes, but if I have to bow out of any race that will probably be the one.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

berylrunner

Rick

78 miles.  Long run of 21 on rugged terrain.   One day of hard downhill skiing.   Feeling good.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

46M no lr. it snowed a week ago and i kinda messed up my ankles running in the snow and then trying to pull DD on the sled using the ebike with roped tires then monday off then felt really strong fatigue tues. ironically the day i was exposed at work. quarantine (bathroom flooring, paint etc) until Sunday when my 5 day test came back neg. covid sucks cos i always have some kind of mild symptoms! sometimes i think i feel much weaker after a day off running and it takes a few days of running to feel strong again. some days i feel really strong but then look at my pace and turns out it was just a feeling

7 weeks to 50 miler. should i do another 50k trainer? would that help or hurt? did one last week.

Fattozig, those guys do a great job. i am indebted to Todd for driving me back to the start after dropping! would like to run Mt Hood 50 again, that one was fun!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Finished the week with 53 miles, small amount of vert.  I've been running close to home lately which is mostly just rolling hills.  You know you're in a rut when Strava decrees you "local legend" of a segment, meaning you've done the segment way too many times in the last 90 days.

Alan, good news on the negative covid test.  Sounds like you have time for another 50k training run, but I wouldn't do it if you're feeling worn down or fatigued now.  You switched form Garmin to Coros right?  Fatozzig started a separate thread asking about watches, maybe you have some input?

Solid week Beryl.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Finished the week with 53 miles, small amount of vert.  I've been running close to home lately which is mostly just rolling hills.  You know you're in a rut when Strava decrees you "local legend" of a segment, meaning you've done the segment way too many times in the last 90 days.

Alan, good news on the negative covid test.  Sounds like you have time for another 50k training run, but I wouldn't do it if you're feeling worn down or fatigued now.  You switched form Garmin to Coros right?  Fatozzig started a separate thread asking about watches, maybe you have some input?

Solid week Beryl.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

Alan.   It probably won't help, it probably won't hurt.  So if you have a cool route that is fun, do it.  If it is trudging a boring route just for miles, don't.   You are experienced enough with the distance, I think shorter workouts would be more beneficial.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

Pain is my friend

finished last week with 66 miles and 5k vert. Some what of a peak week. Running red mountain 55k in 2 weeks down in St George UT. I will be great to test out how the new diet plan works with racing and if it helps me.

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

nOOky

The Ice Age 50 is delayed until September, which I cannot do, so maybe next year. Who would have though a fricken' year ago it'd still be like this?

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

The Ice Age 50 is delayed until September, which I cannot do, so maybe next year. Who would have though a fricken' year ago it'd still be like this?

Like Miwok 100k, which was on 5/1 but now postponed another year.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Alan.   It probably won't help, it probably won't hurt.  So if you have a cool route that is fun, do it.  If it is trudging a boring route just for miles, don't.   You are experienced enough with the distance, I think shorter workouts would be more beneficial.

thanks. i've been thinking about this a lot, maybe too much? i welcome boredom but i know from experience that 40 or 50 miles per week is just fine but the long slogs are a lot easier on me than the stuff that might really help me get faster and strong again. maybe the big question is: should i care? i guess i do. i really like going fast and miss it a lot. it would be so cool to bust out a sub 10 hour 50 miler again but anything under 8mm now feels like tempo on my legs and makes the pseudoinjuries come back. perhaps more squats and that kind of leg work. that stuff doesn't really bother me. maybe i need new shoes too. all of my current pairs have a lot of miles. (mach 4's on pre order). i dont want to make excuses but in order to figure out what plan is best i do need to think about why things happen. i really think the health stuff i had in late 2019 set me back a lot and even though i did a ton of miles in 2020 it was all slow and never got my paces back. maybe get my diet in order too. props to Krash for making a tough change!

on shoes i tried on some bondi 7's today. they are a lot lighter than i thought but then as i continued my run today i couldnt help but wonder if my clifton 6's are already too heavy and causing me more fatigue. yes i know all first world problems!

bummer about the races being cancelled. i hope my small ones stay on. signed up for another today Olympic mts 50k in Sept w/9k vert. this should be a fun one. my job has me teaching labs and students keep coming down with covid but cant get a vaccine. now that's an all-world problem!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

Yes the diet change was a big change. But it was the next step for me. I have changed how I train and recover over the past few years. The diet was the only thing to give. The first few weeks were hard. Now it seems like the norm. I still have days I want to quit it and eat what I really want. But don't. I am in it for the long hall experiment of one.

I have been listening to a few podcast on running like Primal Endurance. Their big plan is the Keto/fat adapted diet and Not running over your aerobic threshold. They take 180 HR Minus age and that is your Threshold.  I have never been big on HR monitors. I run by feel. The idea is that you run at this easy pace and over time you will run faster at that same threshold. How long it will take is different to everyone. After a base building period you add some speed work. But not more than once a week. If you run slow all the time you will get stronger and good at slow. I feel if you want to get faster it will take some work. Speed work will do that for you along with power hiking hills faster. Next time you hit the trails and come to a steep hill try one min on and 3 off. Then repeat it till the top of the hill. Your up hill hiking will get faster. Your ability to go fast up hill will help your flat speed and the other way around.

I love the bondi 7. Light. I ran Desert Solstice 24 track meet in them. I love the cushion in them.

thanks. i've been thinking about this a lot, maybe too much? i welcome boredom but i know from experience that 40 or 50 miles per week is just fine but the long slogs are a lot easier on me than the stuff that might really help me get faster and strong again. maybe the big question is: should i care? i guess i do. i really like going fast and miss it a lot. it would be so cool to bust out a sub 10 hour 50 miler again but anything under 8mm now feels like tempo on my legs and makes the pseudoinjuries come back. perhaps more squats and that kind of leg work. that stuff doesn't really bother me. maybe i need new shoes too. all of my current pairs have a lot of miles. (mach 4's on pre order). i dont want to make excuses but in order to figure out what plan is best i do need to think about why things happen. i really think the health stuff i had in late 2019 set me back a lot and even though i did a ton of miles in 2020 it was all slow and never got my paces back. maybe get my diet in order too. props to Krash for making a tough change!

on shoes i tried on some bondi 7's today. they are a lot lighter than i thought but then as i continued my run today i couldnt help but wonder if my clifton 6's are already too heavy and causing me more fatigue. yes i know all first world problems!

bummer about the races being cancelled. i hope my small ones stay on. signed up for another today Olympic mts 50k in Sept w/9k vert. this should be a fun one. my job has me teaching labs and students keep coming down with covid but cant get a vaccine. now that's an all-world problem!

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Yes the diet change was a big change. But it was the next step for me. I have changed how I train and recover over the past few years. The diet was the only thing to give. The first few weeks were hard. Now it seems like the norm. I still have days I want to quit it and eat what I really want. But don't. I am in it for the long hall experiment of one.

I have been listening to a few podcast on running like Primal Endurance. Their big plan is the Keto/fat adapted diet and Not running over your aerobic threshold. They take 180 HR Minus age and that is your Threshold.  I have never been big on HR monitors. I run by feel. The idea is that you run at this easy pace and over time you will run faster at that same threshold. How long it will take is different to everyone. After a base building period you add some speed work. But not more than once a week. If you run slow all the time you will get stronger and good at slow. I feel if you want to get faster it will take some work. Speed work will do that for you along with power hiking hills faster. Next time you hit the trails and come to a steep hill try one min on and 3 off. Then repeat it till the top of the hill. Your up hill hiking will get faster. Your ability to go fast up hill will help your flat speed and the other way around.

I love the bondi 7. Light. I ran Desert Solstice 24 track meet in them. I love the cushion in them.

thanks. i do like climbing. i used to be a very strong uphill hiker but i abandoned that this year finding a much more efficient high cadence uphill shuffle (in races i always pass many people going up and then they crush me on the downhill). the hiking feels good though when i need some extension. the HR spikes more hiking than shuffling. 180- my age math puts my threshold at 124. my resting is about 55 and i do easy runs around 100 but also go by feel. i like to put the chest strap on every once in a while just to see if the same hr feels like i thought it would feel so have a good idea of where i am at at any point.

on keto my DW is totally into it. she says it's not for everyone but she would definitely be a success story. she feels great and has no issues doing 30+ hour fasts every week. you'd think she was skinny but nope. she still built like a brick house!

if i was gong to run 100k or more i'd get the bondi's for sure but have no current plans for that distance. really hoping the mach 4's are like the original cliftons.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

52.6M i keep thinking: 'what is a workout anyway?' what constitutes a workout? strava has the effort thingy and i never know where to set it. if it were honest i should be able to put 'all' for every single day im out there, got the first covid shot friday. sore arm, headache followed by a really good quality bit faster but still pretty easy 10 mile yesterday. i think rotating out old shoes helps. just gotta string 5 of those together in a day. no prob 

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24