Womens Running

Karnel's Amazing Weekend 1(over 40) (Read 23 times)

Docket_Rocket

Eileen (Fastwitch).  She had lung cancer and was in hospice as of last week.  I didn't even know anything until this week, so she kept it pretty quiet.

Damaris - I followed RW for years; who passed away?

Carolyn

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LC Runs

Morning!

8.2 on TM, -1 degree this morning yikes!

Linda - yowza, those are some hills!!  Great job!

Camille - nice 5, don't blame you for not wanting to travel again for the race.

Carol - I want to do Winterlaufe one of these years, great job!  Are you running the Ice Cube in a couple of weeks?  I am signed up for the 10k.

Hi Marjorie!

Ginny - enjoy the family time!

Lisa - congrats to DD!!  Thanks for the offer, 'one' of these days I will have more freedom to travel and race with you ladies!

Karen - no way are you a wimp, I think you made a smart decision about the race!

Damaris - so sorry about your friend.  Do you mind saying who it was?  I used to post on BF and might recognize the name. I remember one gal that had colon cancer, I think she ran a lot with her daughter.

Hi Carolyn!

Docket_Rocket

Eileen (Fastwitch) from PA.  I think she was mostly a lurker but she was from the group of women that ran events with Joanne (proofreader), that ran together and did plenty of RRs together.

The one with colon cancer is Paulette and she is doing great!  She RDs the Paulette Run, a 5K, every year.

Morning!

8.2 on TM, -1 degree this morning yikes!

Linda - yowza, those are some hills!!  Great job!

Camille - nice 5, don't blame you for not wanting to travel again for the race.

Carol - I want to do Winterlaufe one of these years, great job!  Are you running the Ice Cube in a couple of weeks?  I am signed up for the 10k.

Hi Marjorie!

Ginny - enjoy the family time!

Lisa - congrats to DD!!  Thanks for the offer, 'one' of these days I will have more freedom to travel and race with you ladies!

Karen - no way are you a wimp, I think you made a smart decision about the race!

Damaris - so sorry about your friend.  Do you mind saying who it was?  I used to post on BF and might recognize the name. I remember one gal that had colon cancer, I think she ran a lot with her daughter.

Hi Carolyn!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LC Runs

Damaris - thanks for sharing.  I will say a prayer for Eileen/Fastwitch.  Glad to hear Paulette is doing well. <3

Bikerchick1

Just got back from 10 miler.....my car temp read 9 degrees driving home.....I cannot get warmed up....There were 5 of us this am - if there wasn't a group going I would NOT have made myself go...but as always glad I ran.

LCruns -  Your temp was colder...brrrr. Great job on the TM.  Winterlaufe is a fun run, I think there were close to 450 runners.....I am not signed up for the Ice Cube...but we were just discussing while running today....

LisaMMR - Marjorie told me where the link was.  Enjoy the Superbowl Party1

Ginny - Sounds like a fun day!

Karen - I think you made the right decision.....who needs to travel on icy roads especially if is a long distance!

Damarias -  So sorry about your friend....Have to be thankful every day for our health.

Off to try to warm myself up with some more warm coffee Wink

Carol

Karen-I'll back off. unsafe driving conditions for a half? pass. LOL on the load of laundry. You're right. then I have to add the coat that I wear home and any change of clothing that I might have brought (didn't this time, just threw long coat on).

Damaris-so sad and I'm sorry to hear of the woman passing away.  we are not invincible by any means.

Laura-sorry to hear about the tm run.  LOL  smart though.

fun working the 5k.  one young guy came in with the fast runners but then was sittingon ground crying.  no gloves andhands freezing (we were indoors at this point). got him some hand warmers.  I'm sure he will be fine but has new respect for cold weather gear I'm sure.

Worked the food area so mainly putting hot dog buns into paper holders. since a superbowl theme they had meatballs and hot dogs along with cookies and bananas. Worked alongside the St. Pauli Girls from Dances With Dirt relay fame.  Turns out 2 are lawyers, 1 a teacher and the other a school guidance counseler.  The little old ladies that were also helping were funny. when the "girls" went outside to cheer on the start of the race (in their little outfits) I mentioned their real careers. "So why are the dressed so .... sleazy?" Funny to hear from them but I explained the team and costume concept.

Ended up IN THE GROCERY STORE on way home.  Ugh.. DH had gone yesterday but we still needed a few regular things. At least house was cleaned wehn I got home.

Now waiting for friends to come over for party.  Hope I can stay awake to kickoff.  LOL

Lisa

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I wanted to duck in and let you know that I dedicated my run with the boys today to Karnel's Amazing Event. DH took some pictures of us with me holding the leaf, so I'll try to get them downloaded to the FB site.

I'm in the middle of cooking wings to take to a Super Bowl party, so no time for personals. Have a great day everyone-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Knit queen

Knit Queen

Hi ladies,

sounds like everyone is getting some good runs done in Karnel's honor.  I ran 3.1 today.  Very pleased since my last attempt at a run was a disastrous 2.0 miles.  hopefully that was a fluke because I felt pretty good on today's run.  I drank some sweetened ice tea before the run and had some triscuits too, so maybe I was underfueled the last time.

you ladies are doing some incredible runs.  I need to get out there more.

Cheers, lisa

lisa

GatsbyBird

Happy Super Bowl Sunday ladies.  I'm a 49ers fan so I'll be cheering them on this afternoon.

So much going on here in the WF this weekend!   My happy news is that I ran today after being sick and on the DL for the past week and a half.  Only minor coughing attacks ensued so I think the worst has past.  Now I really have to buckle down on training for my marathon in St Louis on 4/7.  And a trail HM in 2 weeks, but I've decided that will just be a training run.

Just a couple quick shout-outs.  Apologies in advance to everyone that I'm missing.

Linda, the elevation profile for that race is a little daunting!  Nice job.

Demaris, I really enjoyed your RR.  A tough race but I love how you didn't give up.

To Karen, Carol, Lisa, and all the rest of you dealing with the snowy stuff... be careful out there, especially on the roads.   Sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor.   I complain that the laundry pile grows exponentially from my running clothes, but that's just me running in a couple shirts and shorts.  Can't imagine how much bigger it would be if I were running in those conditions.

Lisa/MMR, volunteering at the 5K sounded like fun.  Too funny that you had to explain the St. Pauli girl concept to the old dears.

Cindy, fresh-made wings sound yummy.  I'm off to make some guacamole.

So nice to hear about everyone's Karnel runs.

Enjoy the rest of the day!

3/30/24 Rattlesnake Dick 25k, Cool, CA

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Knit queen

Knit Queen

GO NINERS'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Today I did my run for Karnel as part of Karnel's Amazing Event. A total of 20 miles.    I decided to take Karnel for a tour of Downtown Charleston SC.  I got up early and drove the short distance downtown.  Got great parking at the Market since it was early.  I stopped frequently to take pictures along the way.  A few years ago Karnel had sent me two Flat Stanleys and my husband and I had taken them all over downtown and taken pictures so I wanted to go to all those spots with the leaf we had for this event to take picture again. And RW Mag this month rave running picture is along the Charleston Battery so I knew this was something to do!

So Karnel's leaf and I headed down Market street and turned on to East Bay. First stop was the Custom House (had taken Flat Stanley there) then on to the Battery and more pics out on the water (same spot that I took Flat Stanley) and then pics of the cannon and park where we had taken him as well).  It was windy and I was being careful as running on uneven sidewalks, very cambered areas and slate and brick was difficult!  But I didn't fall! We ran the whole Battery taking pictues of the water and Rainbow Row and the cannons along the way.  Helped a tourist that was out running as she wanted to know the best way to go.  Did the whole Battery, turned and ran back and up King Street so we could go by all the shops.  Dodged a bunch of tourists and waved to the other runners.

Headed back to the market and the recreated the run Amy Del and I did in August 2011.  Ran through the Market back to East Bay but turned left this time to head to the Ravenel Bridge. The bridge is huge and has great views (several miles). There is a nice pedestrian and bike way to go up and over the Cooper River.  At the top I took some pics just like Amy and I did before. Ran over into Patriots Point and took pictures of the USS Yorktown.  Veered  a bit from Amy and my run to add some distance then headed back for the brutal climb back over the bridge. The Mt Pleasant side is steeper so it is a climb going back and had a strong head wind the whole way.  I made it and kept pace despite the steep climb for a mile something and the wind.  Did the gradual descent back to Charleston, pacing some guy as he never passed me and I think he was struggling to keep my pace.  Hey I didn't mind as I usually get passed.  The number of people I was passing today made me feel strong!.  More pics then we headed to the Aquarium area.  More pics and there were some tug boats helping a large cargo ship so took pics of that as I think Karnel would have found that interesting.  Some girl was there handing out coupons to one of the delis which I didn't take as that would just not sit well but she did comment on my bright orange shoes and said they were "rockin"

From there headed to the Charleston museum as it is the oldest museum in the US and has a replica of the USS Hunley infront. More pics.  We had takne Flat Stanley here too.  We were are mile 16 at this point. Did a quick run tour of the homes in that area and then headed back to the Market  Was at mile 17.  Ran through a park and back to the Market.  Got to the parking lot and it was mile 18.  Figured I could just do one more quick run down Meeting street to the Battery and back and end at 20 miles versus going home to do 2 more miles. So ended at 20 miles, went into the Market by where I was parked and got a nice large bottled water and came home.  Almost fell at mile 18.8 when I was rounding the Battery again on the soft path.  I think Karnel kept me from falling!  It was close.   

It was a great event. I'm sure Karnel would have loved every bit of it.  So glad I could do something so cool as this and not just run my normal routes.  The rough sidewalks/uneven spots/brick and slate were hard to run on but it was so worth it. 

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Pics from my run are on FB and the events page.  I think most of them loaded.  My report above I added a bit from what I put in FB

Linda what a profile!  Yikes.

Camille I saw that in the RW magazine and just knew it was him.  I ran the same spots of the rave run pic also in this months mag.

Carol I'm glad that it wasn't that cold here.  40's during my run but windy espeically on the bridge but I didn't need my gloves and was good in thin capris and long sleeve tech.  2nd in age group is awesome!

Damaris I didn't know her (the girl that was in hospice) but I did wear pink for today's run.  I only vaguly remember her from BF.

Ginny yikes on all that snow.  No thanks!  Hope the super bowl party went well.  First year of me not watching the super bowl!  Weird as I always do since DH and I met at a super bowl party but just not feeling it this year and he is at work anyways.

Lisa we did have a good run.  I cut out the leef and fixed it on some thick paper board and laminated it.  Worked well and it fit right in my nathan belt with my phone and car key.

Karen sorry the snow kept you away from the half.  But you are right the side streets were probably bad.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Laura yikes that is cold.  No thanks.

Lisa I scored 2 pairs of tech gloves on sale yesterday for $3 each.  One pair has an extra "pair' over it with the fingers cut out so you can have a double glove or wear either singly.  I like it.  Plus they are bright orange and have the over lay part is bright pink and orange.  The other pair is bright yellow.  I love it versus my normal black running gloves.

Cindy I saw your post about running with the boys on FB.  It was great.

Lisa KQ glad the run was better this time.

Gatsby glad the worst seems past on your illness.

Okay now I think I'm caught up!

Marjorie

GatsbyBird

Great report Marjorie.  Just like bring there with you and Karnel. I've done some flat Stanley trips for my nieces but this really took it to another level.

3/30/24 Rattlesnake Dick 25k, Cool, CA

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mommymac

Flat Stanley: pleeeeeease explain!

Carolyn