Who does Biggest Loser think they are kidding? (Read 1060 times)

JakeKnight

Well, I just hope someone clears this important enigma up. I'll simply toss and turn all night worrying about it.
    10 yards. Loss of down. Snarking.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

I dont understand why this is so hard to believe. She obviously wasnt running a 14mm, it was def. 14mph because she was truckin it when she stepped on!!! And they only do it for 20 sec intervals. It looked so hard for her to do because it WAS hard! I have been wanting to give this a whirl on my TM just once, but I keep forgetting. I dont even know how fast it would top out at. The only thing I dont believe about that show is that those people dont wind up with more injuries than they usually do. They way they exert and push themselves yiou would surely think they would all end up with some kind of problem. And way more debilitating ones at that.
      zer0vector

I would add that they could save a lot of time and get more exercise just running at a lower speed than the minutes spent arguing about it, agonizing over it, and then recovering from it. Wow, it took you 5 minutes to do 20 seconds of running, what a workout.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I dont understand why this is so hard to believe. She obviously wasnt running a 14mm, it was def. 14mph because she was truckin it when she stepped on!!! And they only do it for 20 sec intervals. It looked so hard for her to do because it WAS hard!
          Plopping someone who isn't used to sprinting onto a fast-moving treadmill is stupid, dangerous, and serves no useful purpose from a standpoint of weight loss. Like I said earlier, 14mph is a 64-second quarter, and a 32-second 200m. That's sprinting for most people.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lazy idiot

If you put a gun to my head and said "do a 64-second quarter or your life is over", I'm not sure if I could do it. And even if I could... I'd have to start from standing still to begin running. Throwing someone who's more out of shape on a treadmill moving this fast has to be dangerous. It would probably throw me through the wall. But it's TV. Really. Doesn't. Matter. Wink

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It would probably throw me through the wall.
              Now that would make for some good tv.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lazy idiot

Now that would make for some good tv.
                I should have called you when I was going through Alabama two weeks ago. We could have been YouTube stars. Sadly, Scout's mom kept me busy the whole time.

Tick tock

JakeKnight

If you put a gun to my head and said "do a 64-second quarter or your life is over", I'm not sure if I could do it.
                  Yeah, this doesn't quite sound right. Not only can I not come close to a 64 second 400m (or a 32 second 200m for that matter), I don't think I could hold that pace for 20 seconds. Maybe 10 seconds. Barely. And you're telling me they put a chubby non-runner on a treadmill and they managed to do it? Don't think so. Do treadmills even go to 14 miles per hour? Mine goes to 10. I've seen 12. Never higher. Would people really want to be running almost 4 minute mile pace (4:16) on a treadmill anyway? One slip and you're dead. I'd think the company's legal department would nix that quick. I suppose they have them for the elites. If it wasn't minutes per mile, maybe it was kilometers per hour. Hopefully Tanya will soon solve the mystery. So she can sleep.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Do treadmills even go to 14 miles per hour? Mine goes to 10. I've seen 12. Never higher.
                    Mine goes to 11.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anybody got a video of this treadmill event?
                        Well, I just hope someone clears this important enigma up. I'll simply toss and turn all night worrying about it.
                        Here you go - because runners need their sleep Smile ... from http://www.biggest-loser.net/forums/season-5/2136-recap-episode-9-a.html ... it took her a few attempts to hit 15 seconds at 14mph. "Last chance workout proves to be a tough one. Brittney continues to whine and Jillian has had it. While the rest of the team are on other machines and looking on; Jillian is pushing Brittney on the treadmill. But pushing is an understatement. She jacks up the speed to 14 mph and it looked like the incline was at 0.5. Even the slightest angle can drastically increase the level of difficulty. The plan was to run at 14 mph for 15 seconds but Brittney quit with 2 seconds to go which only infuriated Jillian even more. Brittney insists she isn't scared; just tired. Eventually she makes the 15 seconds. Jillian concludes that Brittney is scared to be successful at losing weight because then she will have to be responsible. I can't remember the exact quote. In confessional; Brittney reveals that she was scared. She had never seen a treadmill move that fast before, let alone run that fast. Did Jillian's strategy work?"
                        "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton
                          Whoever these "Brittney" and "Jillian" people are, I'm envisioning them in my nightmares tonight. Thanks.

JakeKnight

I actually watched the video. I'm currently looking desperately for some way to get those two minutes of my life back. No treadmill. Unless there was some other link.

Think of it this way. 14mph is a 64-second quarter, and a 32-second 200m. Pretty damn fast, esp for anyone on that show.
                              I have yet to run 400 consecutive meters faster than 60 seconds. The last time I competed in a 400m race was my sophomore year of high school on a 100m track that literally went around a basketball court and had the same surface. I was only about 5'2" at the time, and with such a small track I couldn't get around a guy that was about 6' tall. Every time I'd get next to him on a straight we'd reach a turn. I ran 60 point exactly even with all the wasted time and energy of trying to pass that huge guy. I tried running sub-60 in college workouts a few times, and had a friend who could run in the high 40s pace me at an easy (for him) 58 seconds, but since those were always midway to late through ladder workouts I never did better than 61 or 62 seconds. That being said, I have run 20x400m and 28x400m workouts in the low 70/high 60 second range with the last 4-8 in the low/mid 60s. That has to count for something right?
                              The stupid thing is when she has them stand on the edges of the TM, she starts it up at "14" and they are expected to jump on and run. Stupid dangerous in terms of injury with really zero fitness benefit vs just pumping up a normal interval.
                              It makes perfect sense to me. A Presumably Fat Person + Network Television + Jumping on Full Speed Treadmill = Potential for Darwinism Entertainment for the masses! And when somebody does get thrown or does tear a muscle, they can all cry and eat ice cream for the last 30 minutes of the show, come onto the next show with an extra 20 pounds, and then lose 40 pounds between that show and the one after it!

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

I have yet to run 400 consecutive meters faster than 60 seconds.
                                That's cuz you're soft.
                                A Presumably Fat Person + Network Television + Jumping on Full Speed Treadmill = Potential for Darwinism Entertainment for the masses! And when somebody does get thrown or does tear a muscle, they can all cry and eat ice cream for the last 30 minutes of the show ...
                                Where's that video? That sounds good.