strategy for hilly 5k? (Read 724 times)

I'm running a 5k this Saturday, and the only part of the race that's flat is the .1 finish at the end on the high school track. The first mile is entirely uphill, the second mile is uphill for the first quarter mile and then downhill the rest of the way, and the third mile is all uphill. I've run this race in the past, but it's never been pretty. I'm not expecting an awesome time at this race, but I would like a respectable one since it's one of those local races where I'll know most of the people there. So given that background, I'm wondering what everyone would aim for the first mile? If I were to run a flat course, I'd probably go out in 7:00 and try to run even or negative splits. I've found that my splits are all over the place on this course, though.
    JimR

Only you can answer this question, and you won't be able to answer it until those hills show up. If you've run it before, you already know more than any of us. good luck
      Scout7

Run it as hard as you can. Puke at the end.
          I'm running a very hilly 5k this Sat. too. My last 5k was right at 7-minute miles on a flat course/cool day. So, I'm thinking anywhere from 20-30 seconds slower per mile for this one. First mile? This race is also uphill for the first half mile, so who knows. Guess I'll find out. And, what Scout said.

JakeKnight

I'm running a very hilly 5k this Sat. too.
            Oh, really? Wanna do an 11.8 warmup ahead of time? It includes a cemetery ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Well if you run hard uphills you won't make up that much time on people who are running a steady pace. I find myself that I can run quite hard downhill and do not get tired. Are you a good uphill or downhill runner?
                Wanna do an 11.8 warmup ahead of time? It includes a cemetery ...
                No thanks. Warmups in cemeteries are killers.

JakeKnight

No thanks. Warmups in cemeteries are killers.
                  Fine. But then I have a pre-ready excuse in the unlikely event that you beat me. (Are we talking Striders picnic here?)

Yes. You're running it? Drunk? It's a hideous course. The hideosity of it is only outdone by the fact that it's a 5k. 5ks are hideous. I don't doubt you could beat me at this race, even after a week of stupidity (yours, not mine).

JakeKnight

Yes. You're running it? Drunk? It's a hideous course. The hideosity of it is only outdone by the fact that it's a 5k. 5ks are hideous. I don't doubt you could beat me at this race, even after a week of stupidity (yours, not mine).
                      Yes to running it. But sober. Drinking later. But we're doing the 11.2 first.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But we're doing the 11.2 first.
                        I'll be looking for a dead cat.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK, fabulous idea. 11.8. Then the 5k in EWP. DAMN! Thems some hills. Tanya. HTFU.
                          JakeKnight

JK, fabulous idea.
                            It was your idea, not mine. And don't call me fabulous.

JimR

I changed my answer 7:43.4