Half Marathon to Full Marathon! Beginner needing advice. (Read 87 times)

rm2099

Hi All

Some background before the question:
    Age: 33, Weight: 75, Profession: Sedentary. Lifestyle: Decently active. Been doing some (20-30 days in an year) high altitude trekking over past few years. But never used to run.
    Started running on 1st July this year. Began from 1KM run which I couldn't complete :P. Finally managed to do my first HM (21K) on 22nd September. It was a rather slow (jog) but consistent effort with timing of 2:34:00.

Over past 12 weeks of training (which had 2 weeks of vacation with no running), total mileage has been around 300KMs.

Okies, now, I am aiming a full marathon on 15th Dec, i.e. approx 8-9 weeks from here. Also targeting a half-marathon as part of training on 3rd November.

So, as per experts here, is it sufficient time to aim for a full marathon? Or should I wait longer? Any specific tips to ensure that I survive the training ahead and the actual full marathon without major injuries? Also, any other expert tips, thanks in advance.

Regards

Christirei

Ha! i'm so american when I first read the post i thought you meant 75 pounds!

I wouldn't do a marathon yet, you certainly can, but i would wait

Everybody's body is different.  It took me three years to go from a half marathon to a full marathon, while a friend went from never having run to a full marathon in two months.

If you want to run a full marathon, you should be able to run at least 300 KM in four weeks without difficulty, injuries, or wearing yourself out.  I suggest running at least 75-80 KM per week for four consecutive weeks.  Then do a 25 KM long run every week while maintaining 75-80 KM per week.  If you can do that for another four weeks without injuries or wearing yourself out, you should be able to run a full marathon.

berylrunner

Rick

I can be done, but I don't think you would have a pleasant time, possibly get injured,  and likely not finish.

What is the rush?  Only 33.  A whole future of good running and plenty of marathons.

Work on building a running base.  Weeks of consistent mileage before registering for races.  Races are fun and good motivators  but can often set you back in training if you are new.

Respect the marathon distance.  I have raced 5ks to 100 miles and marathon is the hardest distance and requires the most disciplined training.   I am talking racing it to the best of your ability.   Not just jogging something for completion.

By no means an expert but have suffered through the rushing the distance phase.  It was one step forward,  2 steps back experience before discovering that consistency is the key.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

From the Internet.

100% agree w/ beryl. You could maybe cover the distance, but what's the rush? You'll have a much better time both training and in the race itself if you take some time to run consistently for a while before you tackle the marathon.

I'm on the conservative side and always suggest having at least a couple years of solid base before going for it, target improvement in shorter races along the way (which are still hard in their own right!). You can do it on less but anything worth doing is worth doing well imo.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You're barely at the minimum training level most beginner or novice marathon programs suggest and they are 16-18 weeks long.  Also what's the rush?  Marathons aren't going away.  This isn't a popular opinion, but I suggest a solid two years of running and gradually building up your aerobic base to 50-60 km per week before embarking on a 16-18 week marathon training program.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

an amazing likeness

Go for it. Most reasonably fit people can cover the 26.2 miles and finish. There will be a bunch of walking and walk/jog miles at the end, and you'll be plenty sore for a few days.

If you want to actually run a marathon and set yourself up for future running success, the advice about building base and being prepared and trained is spot on.  If you just want to have 'done' a marathon...you can take that 21km run experience and go.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Half Crazy K 2.0

What is the time cut off for the full?

Like Running

I think you should train more time. Important, You need listen yourself, your body before you do anything.

I'm Mr.Thang. I like running everyday and i have a blog about healthy  - review smartwatch for running , best smartwatch can measure your heart

Like Running

I think you should train more. However, You need list your healthy, your body before you do anything, this is very important. How long ? It's depend yourself.

I'm Mr.Thang. I like running everyday and i have a blog about healthy  - review smartwatch for running , best smartwatch can measure your heart

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If you just want to finish a marathon in 6-7 hours then do it.

if you want to run a decent time then take a few years and train for it in the right way

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

I just finished a marathon where I ran over 20 miles with a young (24 year old) woman whose training consisted of 15 miles in May, and about 4 miles per month since.  She was hoping to finish before the six hour cutoff, and did finish in about 5:01 or 5:02.  She had run two half marathons over the last two years, also with no training.  Two of her brothers have run ultras, and a couple other siblings have run half and full marathons.

I told her that she had the genetic potential to be an elite endurance athlete, and that her legs would feel a lot better if she could fit in several 3 or 4 mile easy runs per week.  She's quite busy - works construction with overtime, and is remodeling a house that she just bought, so longer runs do not fit her schedule.