Scared New Runner (Read 243 times)

Half Fanatic #846

The reason I wear my Road ID is that it provides my medical and contact information to first responders if needed. This is strictly secondary to doing what I can to avoid accidents by taking the precautions others have mentioned above.

I sometimes see a particular young lady running in my quiet neighborhood. She is always running with traffic, listening to music, and in the road (but near the edge), completely oblivious to traffic coming up behind her. She never moves out of the way , and cars always have to drive around her. I've almost been tempted to point out the obvious to her, and every time I don't see her for awhile, I wonder if she got run over...I'm pretty sure she's been scared by some close calls, and don't understand the mentality of this. Maybe she has a false sense of security because traffic in the neighborhood is slower than out on the main highway...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have run in South Africa. Yes, it's scarier there. Drivers don't seem to have as much patience.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I tell DW. I wear my RoadID to help ensure prompt return of my remains.  She doesn't seem to find that reassuring.

AnneCA

Yesterday while I was out running with the running group, we came across a fellow female runner that had been hit by a car.
          She had minor injuries however she still had to be rushed to the hospital. I’m relatively new to running, but this incident really shocked me.
          I’m not sure if I’m being native about this but how often does this happen in the rest of the world? Or does South Africa just have really crappy drivers?

When do these incidents most likely occur?I don’t know if I should fear running in the day more than at night

I'd be shaken by the kind of incident you saw as well; glad to hear her injuries were minor.  I would also say, reflect on the times you have seen vehicle accidents, or pedestrians hit by vehicles.  Likely these incidents did not stop you from driving or walking.  Being alert and appropriately cautious as others have advised is not unique to running, or South Africa.  You've already taken a great safety step by running with others, although I'm sure you could find a way to run safely on your own as well.