Pistorius Wins Right to Try for Olympic Spot (Read 1097 times)

Lane

Citing that someone is petty is "petty". What did you add? Nada! BTW, kids should be seen, not heard. Big grin
    I'm just saying... this isn't a forum for English majors. And everyone deserves to be heard.
      I'm just saying... this isn't a forum for English majors. And everyone deserves to be heard.
      You can't be heard on a forum. We read here. Court of Arbitration for Sport Statement: "On the basis of the evidence brought by the experts called by both parties, the panel was not persuaded that there was sufficient evidence of any metabolic advantage in favor of the double amputee using the Cheetah Flex-Foot. Furthermore, the CAS Panel has considered that the IAAF did not prove that the biomechanical effects of using this particular prosthetic device gives Oscar Pitorius an advantage over other athletes not using the device." What will surely stir up debate is that he will be permitted to wear headphones and listen to an Ipod in all races exceeding 5,000 meters.
      Lane

You can't be heard on a forum. We read here.
        I didn't say they deserved to be heard in a forum, now did I? But I think we digress. In an attempt to bring something to the conversation, here is some context relating to other sports, and an explanation of why Mr. Pistorius runs the second half of the 400 faster than the first half. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/may/15/athletics.comment
          I didn't say they deserved to be heard in a forum, now did I? But I think we digress. In an attempt to bring something to the conversation, here is some context relating to other sports, and an explanation of why Mr. Pistorius runs the second half of the 400 faster than the first half. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/may/15/athletics.comment
          It was implicit. And citing a 2005 editorial predicting that the blades will launch Pistorius into the Beijing Olympics doesn't really add much now does it? The CAS panel considered evidence -- from both the IAAF and Pistorius -- and concluded that there was no evidence of an unfair advantage. His best time, despite the end-of-the-earth prediction of The Guardian writer, is still one second slower than the qualifying standard. Nevertheless, there will be those who complain about "preformance inhencing," regardless of the evidence. Gei gezundeheit. Laugh a little.
          Lane

It was implicit. And citing a 2005 editorial predicting that the blades will launch Pistorius into the Beijing Olympics doesn't really add much now does it? The CAS panel considered evidence -- from both the IAAF and Pistorius -- and concluded that there was no evidence of an unfair advantage. His best time, despite the end-of-the-earth prediction of The Guardian writer, is still one second slower than the qualifying standard. Nevertheless, there will be those who complain about "preformance inhencing," regardless of the evidence. Gei gezundeheit. Laugh a little.
            It does talk about other sports, which may be relevant. I apologize, but it looked an awful like you'd just run out of gas in the debate and were just trolling. It's sometimes difficult to tell when people are joking. I made a mistake. For the first time in my life, I am wrong again.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He was so lucky to be born without fibulas. We can only dream of such fortune.
              This has already been covered.
              The loss or absence of limbs most certainly confers a general life disadvantage upon those people. But that doesn't mean that under certain circumstances that they don't have competitive advantage. It's easy to confuse the two.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Latest from the science of sport... Pistorius appeal: Science sold
                Until then, we leave you with a quote from the scientific expert, Hugh Herr, who defended Oscar Pistorius after performing his top-secret, unverified research. He advocates the introduction of this technology into the sport. This quote is no doubt familiar to many of your who are regular readers: A bilateral amputee professor named Hugh Herr works here (at MIT). If anyone can predict what sports will look like in 2050, it's Herr, who lost his legs 26 years ago in a climbing accident. Herr wears robotic limbs with motorized ankles and insists he doesn't want his human legs back because soon they'll be archaic. "People have always though the human body is ideal", he says. "It's not".
                Yeah, that's what I want my sport to be about. Who has the most technologically advanced legs. Pistorius cleared Part 2 Law + marketing trumps science
                  I think that someone should get their hands on a set of Cheetah's, attach them to the bottom of their feet(picture Manute Bol), then go run the US Olympic trials 1 mile in like 2 minutes, making a mockery of this whole debate to prove a point to the CAS Panel.
                    It does talk about other sports, which may be relevant. I apologize, but it looked an awful like you'd just run out of gas in the debate and were just trolling. It's sometimes difficult to tell when people are joking. I made a mistake. For the first time in my life, I am wrong again.
                    Since we're being adults, I'll apologize back. If only I didn't have that no winky-guy policy. Without it, I suppose it's hard to separate the trolls from the geeks like me.
                      I think that someone should get their hands on a set of Cheetah's, attach them to the bottom of their feet(picture Manute Bol), then go run the US Olympic trials 1 mile in like 2 minutes, making a mockery of this whole debate to prove a point to the CAS Panel.
                      Go ahead.
                        I don't have a spare 18k sitting in my home equity line anymore. If someone loaned me some cheetahs, Id give it a shot.
                        Lane

Since we're being adults, I'll apologize back. If only I didn't have that no winky-guy policy. Without it, I suppose it's hard to separate the trolls from the geeks like me.
                          Thanks. Glad that's all behind us. Why a "no winky-guy policy"?