2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

meaghansketch

Fantastic races, Julia and Lagwagon!

Thanks everyone for the input about starting a corral or two back-- I think it's a decision I'm going to leave to the morning of the race, after talking with my teammates who are in the corrals around me.  If they have similar goals and a similar race strategy I think it might be to my benefit to start with and run the first few miles with them, even if it means starting a bit back.

I had a good MP run yesterday, 14 with 10 at MP.  Even with a headwind I had to slow myself down every mile-- ended up averaging 8:50s over the MP miles.

Good luck with your tapers everyone!

jfa

ended up averaging 8:50s over the MP miles.

Thats' my MP too Meaghan

PR'ed my half marathon yesterday without full effort. 1:50:22. Felt great on a beautiful morning to race.

Looking forward to tapering.

Enjoy!

TakeAHike

Nice job in your races, Joe., Julia and Lagwagon.  Meaghan, it sounds like your MP run went very well.  It is always a good sign when you have to force yourself to slow down.

I ran the Paramus 10K yesterday as my final tune-up.  I finished in 41:29, which is just about what I was expecting.  Most importantly, the legs feel pretty good today.  Now, it is back to taper mode.

Like others, I will bring my own food and drink to Fort Wadsworth.  If I think about it, but I might bring a magazine to read, but that's about it.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

Meaghan, it sounds like your MP run went very well.  It is always a good sign when you have to force yourself to slow down.

+1.  I'm not sure that's ever happened with me on an MP run.  LOL!  And yeah, it's not like you have to decide now about your corral.

meaghansketch

Thats' my MP too Meaghan

my MP is (supposed to be!) 9:09 Blush

TakeAHike

Here is a link to a blog post that I found pretty useful.

New York City Marathon Tips, Course Strategy and Info!

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

lagwagon

Here is a link to a blog post that I found pretty useful.

New York City Marathon Tips, Course Strategy and Info!

Thanks...some good tips there!

Its funny but right now I really dont care about much of anything other than getting to race day and running my race.  A million distractions possible, some needing attention (esp logistics for myself and family), but i just want to get to the start, work my way up the bridge at whatever pace, and start rolling through the miles.  I think it may be the front edge of taper madness...I miss the rhythm of the long runs, and cant wait for the big one.  So I'm obsessing but in a very passive low-key way.  I'm not even nervous about my goal...I'm just going to go for it.  Getting to the starting line in one piece was always my main goal, and it looks like most of us here are on track for that.

Regardless, keep the helpful tips, reads, and links coming!

Julia1971

Thanks...some good tips there!

Its funny but right now I really dont care about much of anything other than getting to race day and running my race.  A million distractions possible, some needing attention (esp logistics for myself and family), but i just want to get to the start, work my way up the bridge at whatever pace, and start rolling through the miles.  I think it may be the front edge of taper madness...I miss the rhythm of the long runs, and cant wait for the big one.  So I'm obsessing but in a very passive low-key way.  I'm not even nervous about my goal...I'm just going to go for it.  Getting to the starting line in one piece was always my main goal, and it looks like most of us here are on track for that.

Regardless, keep the helpful tips, reads, and links coming!

I'm still in denial.  By this time last year, I had memorized the course, my paces, my itinerary...  everything!  This year, I really haven't done much more than booked my hotel.  But, I have been reading and hearing different things about not trying to PR, how it's a difficult course, and that I should just enjoy it.  So, I loved reading that part about going for it.  The pure joy of running and doing your best.  I really hope I find that in the next week...

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

meaghansketch

I'm still in denial.  By this time last year, I had memorized the course, my paces, my itinerary...  everything!  This year, I really haven't done much more than booked my hotel.  But, I have been reading and hearing different things about not trying to PR, how it's a difficult course, and that I should just enjoy it.  So, I loved reading that part about going for it.  The pure joy of running and doing your best.  I really hope I find that in the next week...

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

I think the difficulty of the course does sometimes get exaggerated a bit... It's not Chicago flat but it's also not Big Sur.  No saying if I'll be able to get it, but I'm going for a 20-minute PR myself.

ultramarathon/triathlete

People always say not to plan to PR at NYC.  I've PR'd here a few times.  The bridges are the hills, sure, but other than that, the city is rather flat.  Maybe people miss their PR because the crowd along 4th ave (first 8miles or so) really carries you along much faster than you should go.  For some people, that's just fine.  You really run NYC for the fun of the crowds.  If you happen to PR because you ran a smart race, that's awesome too.  If you have a slower race, you still have 26.2 miles of pretty vibrant memories.

Good luck everyone.  Is it really marathon time in just over a week?!   Big grin

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

lagwagon

Good luck everyone.  Is it really marathon time in just over a week?!   Big grin

yup.  just over a week.  and i finally gave in...i couldnt resist any more...i just started checking the weather.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Can't decide if it's pre-race anxiety or something more but I'm beginning to notice all kinds of aches and pains. I felt a twinge in my knee during an easy run this morning that hasn't gone away. I was running 50-65 mpw all summer and last week completed my first sub-50 mile week in 20 weeks and NOW my knee is bothering me! And I've never had any knee or foot problems. Also, I keep thinking I'm about to come down with a cold/flu and get worried about any sniffle. I'm taking Airborne and vitamin C and planning to schedule in some extra sleep. I just want to stay healthy and injury free for 10 more days!

Julia1971

yup.  just over a week.  and i finally gave in...i couldnt resist any more...i just started checking the weather.

10 day is showing a high of 56 and sunny.  (Squee!)  But, 12 mph winds.  (Booo!)

Julia1971

If anyone is interested in a meet up, feel free to PM me and based on response, I can try to organize something.  My preference would probably be for something the day before the race or Sunday evening since we'll all starting and finishing at different times.

And, I was thinking of updating the main page with everyone's wave/corral to make it easier to track one another.  Sound good?  Anything else?

9 days!  9 days!

(In other cool news, I someone won money in the disastrous half marathon I ran last month.  $25 arrived in the mail yesterday!  W00t!)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

10 day is showing a high of 56 and sunny.  (Squee!)  But, 12 mph winds.  (Booo!)

Squee?   No no no.  Change the 5 to a 4 and launch some clouds into that sky.

Oh, and yes, turn off the blower.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do