103kg (227lbs) beginner (Read 42 times)

sukesh

Howdy!

i am a beginner weighing in at 103kg (large fat percentage) looking to get better. I have been running for a month and half, 3 times a week and try to bring in strength training on the off days. I can now run 3km at a 7min/km pace. I am looking to run a 5k with a decent time in a month or so. Couple of questions in this regard:

1. How do I take care of my joints better given my weight and the stress of 5km on tarmac? 
    2. Can I up my pace in any way?

3. Can running at low paces like this aid in weight loss? 

thanks in advance!

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

Not only have I been there, I find myself there again.

First of all, congratulations.  Really.  Seriously, and keep it up.

As a newbie, especially a heavier one, I hope you did some walking and then alternately some run/walking prior to the last month and a half of running.  Slow and steady progress is the key, both with weight loss and running.

Assuming you did enter this running phase with some good walking first, what you are doing now and a 5K race in a month seems fine to me.  All except for the "decent time".  I would recommend, as I think many others would agree, just go do this first one for the experience.  You are joining a community of runners now.  Soak up the experience and pat yourself on the back.  Racing comes later.

1)  Your joints will be just fine if you increase your work load slowly.  Rest is important.  That is so important it is worth repeating, rest is important.

2)  Your pace will increase naturally.  Absolutely.  In fact, having been there before I will tell you that the paces that sound unbelievably fast to you now will sooner than you think feel normal.  Then there will be even faster paces that sound impossible and those too in time feel normal.  With slow and steady progress, over a few years, I worked my way from overweight to qualifying and running the Boston Marathon - twice.  There are training programs to help increase speed, but I don't recommend you look at them yet.  Again, just enjoy this first one.

3) My gawd yes.  Running is good for weight loss at any speed.

Did I say congratulations?  I mean it.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

dhuffman63

Trails

Congrats on getting out there.  I'm more of an ultrawalker than a runner but I'd also add making sure you have a good diet.  Exercise is a part of a healthy life but diet is so important too.  I try to follow an 80/20 plant based diet.  I stay away from red meats but do eat steak occasionally.

I also second the just enjoy your first 5k...no point racing the first...use it as a training opportunity.  If you can volunteer at some races you'll learn a lot too.  Runners are keen to help others.

Enjoy the journey, it's a lot of fun.

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

I'm going to reply again to speak more about why I find myself in your situation again.

I stopped running about 5 years ago.  My weight crept back up higher than your current weight. In my first pass at losing weight over a decade ago I dropped from 285lbs to 160lbs (5'8") using that slow and steady approach. That time around I waited until I got down below about 220lbs before running.  Prior to that I just rode a stationary bike.

In the last 5 years, I didn't put all that weight back on but a substantial amount (250 if no one else is listening).  A few months ago I found a renewed motivation to return to running and restore some health.  I improved my diet and along with my stationary bike I have lost 30+ lbs.  I'm now on the cusp of running again.

Along the way I have been giving myself exactly this same "slow and steady" advice.  I have held back from running until I could get below 220lbs on purpose, just like last time.  I too worry about my joints, and everything else.  I don't want an injury to disrupt my weight loss journey.  I have been following effectively a couch-to-5K plan as I neared my target run weight.

Like you, I want to be racing.  Now though I am satisfied just with improving.  If you will pardon the pun, I'm in this for the long run.

One final piece of advice from a two-time loser ... stay off the scale.  It is not your friend.  If you are eating right and exercising then you know you are doing great.  You don't need a scale to tell you that.  Measure your progress in miles.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

A tremendous amount can be accomplished in one year. One month is just a step on the journey.

Weight loss is mostly about eating, but moving more certainly inspires a heathy attitude and makes you feel good for having done it. Taken together it works.

Trying to improve 1 minute in a 5k is not always easy in a month. But if good habits turn into a good long term plan you might look back and find after a year you improved 5 minutes without worrying about it.

sukesh

Not only have I been there, I find myself there again.

First of all, congratulations.  Really.  Seriously, and keep it up.

As a newbie, especially a heavier one, I hope you did some walking and then alternately some run/walking prior to the last month and a half of running.  Slow and steady progress is the key, both with weight loss and running.

Assuming you did enter this running phase with some good walking first, what you are doing now and a 5K race in a month seems fine to me.  All except for the "decent time".  I would recommend, as I think many others would agree, just go do this first one for the experience.  You are joining a community of runners now.  Soak up the experience and pat yourself on the back.  Racing comes later.

1)  Your joints will be just fine if you increase your work load slowly.  Rest is important.  That is so important it is worth repeating, rest is important.

2)  Your pace will increase naturally.  Absolutely.  In fact, having been there before I will tell you that the paces that sound unbelievably fast to you now will sooner than you think feel normal.  Then there will be even faster paces that sound impossible and those too in time feel normal.  With slow and steady progress, over a few years, I worked my way from overweight to qualifying and running the Boston Marathon - twice.  There are training programs to help increase speed, but I don't recommend you look at them yet.  Again, just enjoy this first one.

3) My gawd yes.  Running is good for weight loss at any speed.

Did I say congratulations?  I mean it.

Thank you, arunnerd!

Yes, I actually eased into running from being able to brisk walk (I could do 6-7 km at a 9min pace).

I guess I'll just go ahead with raising mileage over the weeks. Keeping it slow and steady!

Thanks again, and good luck to you too!

sukesh

Congrats on getting out there.  I'm more of an ultrawalker than a runner but I'd also add making sure you have a good diet.  Exercise is a part of a healthy life but diet is so important too.  I try to follow an 80/20 plant based diet.  I stay away from red meats but do eat steak occasionally.

I also second the just enjoy your first 5k...no point racing the first...use it as a training opportunity.  If you can volunteer at some races you'll learn a lot too.  Runners are keen to help others.

Enjoy the journey, it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for the great advice!

BoutWorkout

Slow progression. Ease yourself into this and don't rush.