Giving it your all (Read 949 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I have three links that show what 100% really is. Alan webb http://www.flocasts.org/flotrack/races.php?vid=4440 Chicago Marathon 2007 Men’s Finish http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=36197@wbbm.dayport.com Women’s Finish 2007 Chicago Marathon. Maybe the fastest ¼ mile ever run at the end of a marathon! Go to this link and search for “surprise finish” http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=36197@wbbm.dayport.com
    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Determination won over that day. You must have felt indestructable crossing that finish line. I'm sure the feeling of accomplishment was amazing! Smile
      Actually, at the end of the race I knew how much damage I had done to my foot running with it like that. I took my shoe off and it was obvious what had happened. I tried to deny it and pretend like it would heal for a few weeks. It ended up taking 3 months to heal! Honestly, I really didn’t feel anything as I crossed the line. My body was in shock from being Broken, Frozen, and Dehydrated. I really believe that you can block out pain if you want it bad enough! It is amazing what a little adrenaline can get you to do.

Feeling the growl again

It's funny what you won't feel during a race. 16 miles into my 2nd fastest marathon I felt a vague discomfort in my right foot but didn't think anything of it. At the finish a volunteer was trying to get me in a wheelchair and I was asking why. She pointed to my feet, and it was then I noticed that my right shoe, which had been white at the beginning of the race, was now pink and red. It was bad enough skin damage that it took weeks to heal, and hurt considerably soon after the race was over, yet had no affect on me during the race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

As far as the "central governor" model theory goes, I have never cared one way or aonother. However, it does seem clear to me that the brain does get trained in, so to speak. I think the brain can limit your performance. (stop, stop, slow down, this hurts, I'll never make it, I've never gone this fast before, I can't make my goal anyway) ... that sort of thing. And I think maybe you can go over the edge, that the brain - you - will never again allow yourself to go past certain limits... I think we see this in trauma victims, perhaps Salazar had a similar experience. Talking to Beardsley, I KNOW that's what he thinks. That once you reach that penultimate line, and really take it all out, that you actually leave a peice of yourself out on the course. He believes that crossing that line - you can never go back and get it, that it's gone forever. Man, that's all a moot point, I guess. You can't go any faster than you can go, yet it is nearly impossible in long distance running to do everything absolutely so perfect that you could not have run one second faster. That acheivement is rare, but training and experience will cause your race times to at least be an asymtote to that line. And the line changes constantly, of course.
            This past Fall I ran the Applefest Half-Marathon in NH, the same day the Chicago marathon was held in record temps. Well, technically I was running it as a 2-person relay, and I had the second leg. Anyway, it was also hot that day in NH (in the mid-80's, I believe) and I didn't properly hydrate myself beforehand. Stupidly, I also didn't take very much water while running the race. I had been running all Summer in hot temps, doing longer runs, so I figured I should be fine. Of course, training runs are very different than long races. In any case, I ran very hard and remember that with about 1.5mi to go I was really picking up the pace, passing bunches of folks. Unfortunately, I don't remember actually crossing the finish line. I have witnesses that tell me I did, but I don't remember it. I sat down on the ground about 10 yards after the finish line, and just crashed completely. I eventually laid down right there, as I didn't have the strength to even get up and go to the grass. I barely avoided passing out, and I eventually was put into an ambulance, given some fluids via IV and taken to the ER. Gave my wife quite the scare, to say the least. Anyway, I only needed some fluids, and they released me in an hour or so. I felt like crap the rest of the day, and couldn't hold down any food or water until that evening. I found my 100% mark, and what happens when I try to go to 101%. I'll stick with 98% from now on, and I'll make darn sure that I'm properly hydrated.

2011 Goals:
            sub 17min 5k
            5:15 mile?
            (well, maybe next year)

I've been caught at the finish line mulitple times but never completely passed out although i've puked a lot, especially at state. In fact mid season of track and XC and high school i'd puke half way through 400m interval workouts and my coach would make me make up the lap at the end LOL. The worst was when i ran districts with what i'm pretty sure was bronchial pnumonia...yeah cuz you can't puke and run very well so once i finished the 5k it was all over...but i finished 7th and our team won so it was totally worth it LOL My friends and i always joked that if you didn't puke you weren't running fast enough Wink of course my other friends also tell me i'm a little crazy in the head oh well Big grin