Giving it your all (Read 949 times)

pandajenn19

Agreed. The 110% idiom bugs me almost as much as the phrase 'cautiously optimistic'. Please be kind to mathmetically inclined people and accept that 100% is the best it gets.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

but then I hit the wall. I literally lost control of my arms and legs and kept myself up basically by will alone.
      Dude, you just gave me a wicked flashback of my 800m PR. I have never felt more wobbly than the last 100m of that relay leg. One second, I was sprinting. The next, I was carrying an elephant. Evil grin Though I must not have red-lined it quite as hard as you did -- I didn't hurl, and I had two solid races in the 1600m and 3200m after that.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

...---...

Technically, 100% is not attainable. You can get close...but not really.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Thanks so much for your responses. I agree that you can't go above 100% (I was stating 101% just to illustrate the breaking point), but my theory and the reason for this post is: I believe that we don't even get to XX% most of the time. I think there is a line that your brain draws maybe at 90% maybe at another number but it is well below what you can actually do. Otherwise people would be passing out left and right. Is it possible for the average person to endure the pain enough to give 100% and actually collapse? And if you are collapsing "after the finish line" I bet if the line was ten more steps you would make it there too -then colapse; meaning it was choice to stop when you did. How often do runners collapse BEFORE the finish line? Does your brain really protect you and should you listen? Or is it safe to go 0X% harder every-so-often than your mind thinks you should? I realize this is all theoretical but these are the types of things going through my brain while I run... Thanks again!
          mdmccat

Feeling the growl again

Your brain can never really protect you. Your brain has no way to know how clogged your arteries are, if you have a weak spot in an artery, etc. There's two things being discussed, the ability to go further and the ability to go faster. We can almost always continue going further, the question is how much we must slow down to do so. But this will lead to a slower time. Going faster is what is usually associated with "giving xx%", and this is largely dictate by the ability to keep providing high levels of available energy to our muscle cells. There are physiological limits to how long our metabolism will support X effort. There are few times this boils down to a "safety" factor, and this is usually something you can never predict happening like Salazar's near-death in a marathon (you can't tell me Samuelson wasn't equally tough in 1984 yet she was ok) or the tragedy with Ryan Shay in November when we wasn't even running that hard. I also find that the better shape I am in, the further I can push myself. When I'm out of shape, I can give what feels like 100% in a 5K but 30min after the race I feel like I could do it again and the next day I can train fine. Conversely, if I am well-trained and push to a similar effort level, I can go far enough that I am destroyed after the race and it takes a couple days to resume training again. I do not feel this is mental, but rather a biochemical phenomenon where through increased VO2max and anaerobic training I can tolerate much higher levels of negative metabolic byproducts (like lactate buildup) before I hit the wall, thereby affecting me more after the fact.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JakeKnight

Forget 101%. HTFU and try 102% That's what all the serious runners are doing this year. I knew a guy who gave 103% once, but he was hopped on cough medicine and peyote. Also, he died when his previously undiagnosed brain cloud collapsed. Always get checked for brain clouds before going past 100%. It's dangerous.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

I knew a guy who gave 103% once, but he was hopped on cough medicine and peyote. Also, he died when his previously undiagnosed brain cloud collapsed. Always get checked for brain clouds before going past 100%. It's dangerous.
                It didn't kill me. I came out of the coma only months later. Took me a good three months of easy running to rebuild my base.
                JakeKnight

Took me a good three months of easy running to rebuild my base.
                  Was it exactly three months? Was it ONLY easy running? Hope so. Otherwise it was just wasted mileage. And you'll need a lot more cough medicine.

Why is it sideways?

Was it exactly three months? Was it ONLY easy running?
                    I think so. I had my heart rate monitor strapped on, but it was hard to read the numbers through the purple haze.
                      Joe vs. The Volcano = underrated movie. Banks. Clothes make the man. I believe that. You say to me you want to go shopping, you want to buy clothes, but you don't know what kind. You leave that hanging in the air, like I'm going to fill in the blank, that to me is like asking me who you are, and I don't know who you are, I don't want to know. It's taken me my whole life to find out who I am, and I'm tired now, you hear what I'm saying?

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Burninated Peasant

Dude, you just gave me a wicked flashback of my 800m PR. I have never felt more wobbly than the last 100m of that relay leg.
                        Same thing here. I basically ended up as the rabbit - three people passed me in that last 100m. Shouldn't have run the first lab in 56 - WAY beyond my 800m ability.

Burninated Peasant

I've been thinking about these questions for a long time and wonder if anyone has any input: If you give a 100% effort in a race what happens at the 101% mark?
                          100% actually means that you have reached your designed capacity. Thankfully, some of us were over-engineered in such a way that we can give 110%. In some cases, 110% might actually cause spontaneous human combustion, so it's probably safest just to keep it at 100%.
                          JakeKnight

Joe vs. The Volcano = underrated movie.
                            I was sure nobody would catch that reference. I was positive. But you gave it 101%. Well done.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Shouldn't have run the first lap in 56 - WAY beyond my 800m ability.
                              Yeah, running that first lap too fast is murder. I was guilty of that nearly every time I ran 800m. Except the one and only time I ran even splits, which produced a PR.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

Same thing here. I basically ended up as the rabbit - three people passed me in that last 100m. Shouldn't have run the first lab in 56 - WAY beyond my 800m ability.
                                Dude. Going out in 56 is what its all about. I wish I was young enough and dumb enough and tough enough to do that now. We still talk about them: glory days.