Idea: Doctors Only Get Paid When Patients Are Healthy (Read 1138 times)

JakeKnight

Oh, it's just this wacky thing people do after the sheer insanity of an intentional and planned buildup for one specific marathon. Madness, really.
    Do you have one of those scheduled or something?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

xor

Oh, and as long as we're talking taper, here's a tapir:

Do you have one of those scheduled or something?
        By "one of those," do you mean a Goal Event, Taper, or Marathon?

JakeKnight

By "one of those," do you mean a Goal Event, Taper, or Marathon?
          Actually serious question. For real. I mean other than the Monkey. Which is just silly to tapir for.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Bugs

I don't mind paying my doctor. He's hot. Big grin

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't mind paying my doctor. He's hot. Big grin
              Awww. Shucks.

Bugs

Awww. Shucks.
                I would have paid you more. Smile

Bugs

Oh. No...I was going to do the Greenway this Saturday, but am doing the half instead. I've been having some slight stuff with my heel/achilles, so didn't want to jeopardize the Monkey. Even though it's rinky dink and dumbass-esque. mta: in response to JK.

Bugs

Thank God for antibiotics. My mom's sister died when she was 16 from a kidney infection, because they didn't have antibiotics for her in 1946. I got the same thing in 1996 - had to be hospitalized for 5 days, but they were able to get rid of the infection. Huh, I hadn't thought about it being a 50-year span.
                    We forget how bad healthcare was at one point? I was seriously burned at age 9, they sent me home from ER in shock. Then I returned for a month long stay with 3 other roommates that had visitors who smoked while I tried to fight an infection. This would never happen today. $4K I paid this year to find out my heart was perfectly healthy. Worth every penny.

Bugs

xor

I spent $47k out of pocket for my ex's chemo in 2006. In comparison, our first house was $45k. Granted it was kind of a crummy house, but it was in San Antonio and that was fun. And the chemo? Just like when I had chemo, it caused a bunch of other issues. But cross fingers, so far, the bad mojo has not returned in her case. Worth it? I have no idea. The surgery before chemo removed all trace of cancer. The chemo was based on a numbers game... x% of people with cancer type A who have chemo type Z do not have a recurrence in five years. Did it work? If it comes back, then no. It increases the possibility that she'll get leukemia, it put her into sorta menopause at 37, her metabolism is screwed, and one of the other meds doubles the chances that she'll get uterine cancer. I miss my little San Antonio house sometimes.

you'd probably miss your wife more. I hope the best for her.

xor

you'd probably miss your wife more. I hope the best for her.
                          Yes, I don't want anything untoward to happen to her. My point was, in my case, chemo is probably what made my bad stuff go away. In her case, it's much harder to tell whether it did any good... and it did do a bit of bad. It's pretty amazing how much this stuff costs, especially when no one can say "yup, that'll fix it for sure!" Another aspect that was pretty shocking - the cost of oral meds. She got way better anti-nausea stuff with her chemo than I got. One med, Zofran, was 110 bucks PER PILL... take 2 a day. It worked for her, and was totally worth it. But still. Dang.

Scout7

In the new regime, all nurses will be hot, and wear skimpy outfits. Doctors, however, will be certified experts in torture. This should be reason enough to do your damndest to stay well.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another aspect that was pretty shocking - the cost of oral meds. She got way better anti-nausea stuff with her chemo than I got. One med, Zofran, was 110 bucks PER PILL... take 2 a day. It worked for her, and was totally worth it. But still. Dang.
                              Oh, yeah...that shit is golden. First time I had general anesthesia I had no anti-nausea, since we didn't know I'd get sick. And I didn't get that sick...and my surgery was laparoscopic...but ANY nausea/vomiting after having one's innards probed via incision is bad news. Second time I had general I got Zofran--just one precautionary dose. NO nausea. Awesomeness. I am on 2 allergy meds and 2 asthma meds. 2 of the 4 are not yet generic. We are still paying $100 bucks out-of-pocket/month. When I look at what that would cost without insurance it makes me sick. No way could we afford my meds without insurance. Without those meds I'd not be running. I'd likely be pretty sick much of the year and obese. So sometimes prevention of one malady means taking drug therapies for another.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

srlopez, sorry you had to go through all that. very sorry. And while some stuff isn't covered by insurance my self-inflicted running injuries are covered. X-rays, MRI, chiropractor visits, even my heart crap was probably me just running while sick. If I had to pay the full cost of my stupidity I'd take better care of myself.

Bugs