Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

Feeling the growl again

Just had a facebook conversation with an acquaintance.  He and his wife will not vaccinate their kids for H1N1 as they fear they may develop an egg allergy.  I attempted to communicate the relative risk of contracting the flu and dying from it versus having a fatal anaphylactic reaction to egg protein in the vaccine, but to no avail.   "We are healthy and get lots of sleep and have good immune systems" was what I got.  Several of us tried to communicate that this virus is disproportionately killing just that type of person, those that normally don't have to worry about the flu.

However, they believe that unless the vaccine can be "proven 100% safe and 100% certain there is no egg protein" they won't take it.

I reiterate, it's hard to have a rational conversation with irrational people.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well my DH can testify that there is DEFINITELY egg protein in it. He's stopped eating his boiled egg for breakfast cause once he gets to work all he can smell is "rotten"eggs now that the flu shot is in production

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

I just got mine and it's turned me into a chicken! Cluck cluck.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I just got mine and it's turned me into a chicken! Cluck cluck.

It turned me into a newt!  

Well, I got better...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

EDL

"We are healthy and get lots of sleep and have good immune systems" was what I got.  

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/27/frustraglio-h1n1-toronto-hockey113.html 

"A 13-year-old Toronto boy, described as "healthy as can be," has died of the H1N1 virus."

There maybe some reasonable rationales for not getting your children vaccinated.  This is not one of them.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

<<Premier Dalton McGuinty expressed sympathy for the family, calling Evan's death a "terrible tragedy."

Health Minister Deb Matthews called it a "very, very sad case" that emphasizes the importance of getting swine flu shots.

If people don't "get it" after reading that article, I guess there really is no hope for them.  Very sad.  My two teenaged boys are supposed to get their shots today at school.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

He and his wife will not vaccinate their kids for H1N1 as they fear they may develop an egg allergy.

Fear they may DEVELOP an egg allergy?  It is one thing to be concerned if your kid already HAS an egg allergy, but you arent going to DEVELOP one by being shot with protein. Unless they are already carrying around an epipen for each kid specifically for egg allergy ....GAH!!

My son has an egg sensitivity and he will get the vaccine.  He got the flu shot last year and I know what will happen.  He'll turn into a raging beast and be slightly uncomfortable for about 24 hours.  Grandma will be pissed that he will be  cranky for 2 of the 4 days she is here.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best Present Ever

I just had a conversation with a neighbor about egg allergy -- she was under the impression that they are common because so many folks claim an egg allergy.  My husband says he's 'allergic' to eggs, because scrambled eggs make him queasy.  He seems to manage to eat cake just fine though. 

Our neighbor's little girl (9 years old)  is in the hospital with pneumonia secondary to  H1N1. She seems fine -- breathing room air -- but I think they'd have happily skipped the hospital stay if the vaccine had been available earlier.

MrH

source: CDC

So it's not so much the flu that is deadly, it's going to hospital.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

A Saucy Wench

I just had a conversation with a neighbor about egg allergy -- she was under the impression that they are common because so many folks claim an egg allergy.  My husband says he's 'allergic' to eggs, because scrambled eggs make him queasy.  He seems to manage to eat cake just fine though. 

Our neighbor's little girl (9 years old)  is in the hospital with pneumonia secondary to  H1N1. She seems fine -- breathing room air -- but I think they'd have happily skipped the hospital stay if the vaccine had been available earlier.

I know several people who are egg sensitive which is what I label my son.  No histamine reaction, but eggs cause severe intestinal distress (to which I say - and you are avoiding the flu SHOT because you cant DIGEST eggs?) or behavioral in my sons case and a few others (hmmm death vs. raging temper tantrum...lemme think......)

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

So it's not so much the flu that is deadly, it's going to hospital.

Well yes, clearly.  20% of pregnant women who go into the hospital with H1N1 die.  Very few who do not go into the hospital die. 

Actually around here they are begging you to not come in to the hospitals and clinics unless you have a fever above X, or above Y for more than Z days (all of which varies by age and risk group) or significant respiratory distress.  I dont many of the health care workers in Oregon have been vaccinated yet.

Feeling the growl again

Fear they may DEVELOP an egg allergy?  It is one thing to be concerned if your kid already HAS an egg allergy, but you arent going to DEVELOP one by being shot with protein. Unless they are already carrying around an epipen for each kid specifically for egg allergy ....GAH!!

My son has an egg sensitivity and he will get the vaccine.  He got the flu shot last year and I know what will happen.  He'll turn into a raging beast and be slightly uncomfortable for about 24 hours.  Grandma will be pissed that he will be  cranky for 2 of the 4 days she is here.

YEAH, I even posted a link to a REALY STUDY that has been done to test the safety in people WITH egg allergies.  So he dropped that subject and moved to "the government is lying to us and media just out to scare us."  I told him if the gov't is lying is his pediatrician going to lie?  CALL HIM.  So he called the doc, who told him to get his kids vaccinated but that the likelihood of CATCHING H1N1 was no more likely than regular flu.  So this genius comes back and says I was wrong, his kid is no more likely to catch H1N1 than the regular flu.  I pointed out I had said he was more likely to DIE if he got it, not anything about just catching it.  Finally he came back with "a coworker at work got the flu vaccine several weeks ago, now he has pneumonia from the vaccine."

Needless to say I gave up.  And this guy is an engineer.

His final rant was that it's a gov't conpiracy because there is not enough vaccine to go around so they are purposely working us up.  I did not bother to point out it is a modern marvel that this virus was discovered in April and we already have MILLIONS of doses shipping on a brand new vaccine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, my pregnant friend isnt getting the vaccine because of all the silly rumors and stuff.  Besides, she is healthy.  And you know, she'll just get the flu anyway and getting the flu is safer than getting the vaccine.