Once-a-Day Marathon Training (Yuki Kawauchi) (Read 3082 times)

"I have no intention of losing. When [Fujiwara and I] trained together I didn't see anything that made me feel he's any better than me."

I just got an e-mail from Toshi Takaoka, a 2:06 marathon guy in his hay-days (2003 Chicago) and now recently appointed as the head of Japan Federation distance division just a few days ago.  He's in Fukuoka right now (he actually doesn't have a good memory for Fukuoka...).  I sent him an e-mail last night and told him that I'm not holding my breath for EITHER Fujiwara OR Kawauchi at Fukuoka...  He responded this morning saying that that seems like a consensus of most "in" people (including Toshihiko Seko).  It's nice to have those guys and now the sport itself is getting a lot of attention; with their unique situation as well as this friendly "trash-talk".  Unfortunately, that's now what makes you a better runner. Apparently, Seko took an initiative and told Kawauchi, in his fact, that if he trains twice a day, he could run 2:06.  Toshi trained 3-times a day and ran 2:06.  Now he might surprise us tomorrow (tonight US time) at Fukuoka; but I highly doubt it...

I just got an e-mail from Toshi Takaoka, a 2:06 marathon guy in his hay-days (2003 Chicago) and now recently appointed as the head of Japan Federation distance division just a few days ago.  He's in Fukuoka right now (he actually doesn't have a good memory for Fukuoka...).  I sent him an e-mail last night and told him that I'm not holding my breath for EITHER Fujiwara OR Kawauchi at Fukuoka...  He responded this morning saying that that seems like a consensus of most "in" people (including Toshihiko Seko).  It's nice to have those guys and now the sport itself is getting a lot of attention; with their unique situation as well as this friendly "trash-talk".  Unfortunately, that's now what makes you a better runner. Apparently, Seko took an initiative and told Kawauchi, in his fact, that if he trains twice a day, he could run 2:06.  Toshi trained 3-times a day and ran 2:06.  Now he might surprise us tomorrow (tonight US time) at Fukuoka; but I highly doubt it...

Interesting.  

I take it Geb is not being taken seriously as a contender?  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I take it Geb is not being taken seriously as a contender?  

I think this is about right: http://www.iaaf.org/news/preview/focus-on-gebrselassie-in-fukuoka

Personally, I'm interested in Mathathi's debut and how Horibata pans out this time.

By the way, I read elsewhere how you had a great PR in the recent marathon.  Congratulations to you and Coach Jeff.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think this is about right: http://www.iaaf.org/news/preview/focus-on-gebrselassie-in-fukuoka

Personally, I'm interested in Mathathi's debut and how Horibata pans out this time.

By the way, I read elsewhere how you had a great PR in the recent marathon.  Congratulations to you and Coach Jeff.

You can read about Mathathi's debut and Horibata's race here.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Thanks very much, Nobby. 

Looks like you were right.  

More on Yuki.

At this point, given his popularity, race directors are offering to pay Kawauchi’s travel expenses and waive his entry fees, and he could probably live off his prize earnings. But the citizen marathoner has chosen to structure his life as if he ran in an era before star athletes profited from their fame. He says his clerking job broadens his perspective, forces him to train more efficiently, and makes him keen for those long weekend runs. It’s also part of his iconoclastic persona. His is a unique strategy for any 2:08 marathoner and all the more unusual in tradition-heavy, protocol-laden Japan.