I ran on the treadmill and liked it! ??? (Read 1094 times)

Not everyone is fortunate enough to walk out the door and have somewhere to run (or even a short drive away for that matter). I live in an urban area and running outside means running on the sidewalks. That is fine once in a while but 50 miles a week on sidewalks is asking for injuries. I guess the question comes down to why do I run? I run to race. If it wasn’t for races, I probably wouldn’t run much. For me my best training option is the treadmill. Once I got comfortable on it I found that it wasn’t that bad. I run at the gym that has a full rack of tv’s in front that I watch and listen to or I wear my ipod. I can monitor my speed and run hills whenever I want. I have also remained injury free for the last 2 years all while running 2000+ miles per year and constantly setting PR’s (how many of you outside runners can say that).

Res firma mitescere nescit
    Running in Tampa

Ribbie, I got to say congrats on keeping injury free and enjoying the treadmill... I just personally, cannot stand it. I remain injury free when running outdoors but I just watch to make sure mileage doesn't jump around, workouts are in step with my shape, and unlike you I can remain on softer surfaces (a lot of country roads out by me).
        Not everyone is fortunate enough to walk out the door and have somewhere to run (or even a short drive away for that matter). I live in an urban area and running outside means running on the sidewalks. That is fine once in a while but 50 miles a week on sidewalks is asking for injuries. I guess the question comes down to why do I run? I run to race. If it wasn’t for races, I probably wouldn’t run much. For me my best training option is the treadmill. Once I got comfortable on it I found that it wasn’t that bad. I run at the gym that has a full rack of tv’s in front that I watch and listen to or I wear my ipod. I can monitor my speed and run hills whenever I want. I have also remained injury free for the last 2 years all while running 2000+ miles per year and constantly setting PR’s (how many of you outside runners can say that).
        Aside from hillwork, where do you generally set the incline?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Aside from hillwork, where do you generally set the incline?
          My hills are anywhere from 2-4. My default setting is .5 although I’m usually moving it between 0 and 1. I rarely run an entire mile without changing it just like I rarely run an entire mile without changing the speed.

Res firma mitescere nescit
          Running in Tampa