Biker Killed - Runner Injured (Read 1224 times)

mikeymike

Just when Big Richard almost saves the day... I'm just glad where I live the roads were not built for cars, they were built for people. That's because most of them were built before the automobile was invented. Gridlock and crazy intersections may slow you down when you're in a car and they may piss off the lost tourists, but they do make it safer.

Runners run

AnneCA

It's obviously not an issue with a clear-cut answer,
      A correction here re: bikes on sidewalks. In many, many places, the answer is clear-cut by law, because bikes are not allowed on sidewalks. I know you want to make an argument that it's somehow safer for drivers to have bikes on sidewalks, never mind the fact that bike vs. car = bicyclist loses and pedestrian vs. bike = both lose, and, really, there's no way in any of those equations that car loses, so why, exactly, should others be asked to break the law to somehow convenience drivers? And, if you'd like to see a rip-roaring thread, I can send you some from my neighborhood watch list flaming about an (alleged) "epidemic" of bicyclists on sidewalks and how freaking dangerous they are. This is really not a debate: bikes don't belong on sidewalks. You want to say otherwise, you're going to have to talk to a lot of legislatures and traffic engineers and tell them why they're wrong. And since you seem so interested in what the surface was designed for, I say again that sidewalks are designed for people on foot. They are not designed for wheels. They are too narrow, by far. They often lack curb cuts, or, where they have them, they are not always in a straight line of travel. They are often broken up by tree roots, or even steps or other obstacles.

Old, Slow, Happy

Just when Big Richard almost saves the day...
        Sorry Mike Sad I guess it's just too much fun for them.

Insert witty title here

A correction here re: bikes on sidewalks. In many, many places, the answer is clear-cut by law, because bikes are not allowed on sidewalks. I know you want to make an argument that it's somehow safer for drivers to have bikes on sidewalks, never mind the fact that bike vs. car = bicyclist loses and pedestrian vs. bike = both lose, and, really, there's no way in any of those equations that car loses, so why, exactly, should others be asked to break the law to somehow convenience drivers? And, if you'd like to see a rip-roaring thread, I can send you some from my neighborhood watch list flaming about an (alleged) "epidemic" of bicyclists on sidewalks and how freaking dangerous they are. This is really not a debate: bikes don't belong on sidewalks. You want to say otherwise, you're going to have to talk to a lot of legislatures and traffic engineers and tell them why they're wrong. And since you seem so interested in what the surface was designed for, I say again that sidewalks are designed for people on foot. They are not designed for wheels. They are too narrow, by far. They often lack curb cuts, or, where they have them, they are not always in a straight line of travel. They are often broken up by tree roots, or even steps or other obstacles.
          I was referring to the overall answer of how bikes, runners, cars, etc. can all get along. I'll agree that the laws are clear-cut, but just based on this thread it's obvious that the opinions on what the law SHOULD be are anything but clear. You also missed my multiple comments saying that I don't feel bikes belong on roads OR sidewalks.

ThomasRuns Blog
          Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Just when Big Richard almost saves the day...
            Saved the day? That kind of rational common-sense approach is what almost ruined this thread. We need less of that and more hyperbole sprinkled with personal insults. But seriously, I think we're close to solving this issue for all of humanity. I'm guessing somewhere on page eight we'll have it figured out and can publish our findings.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Right on Hereford...

Quotes from TNthomas: we are long overdue for a law that keeps all non-motorized vehicles off the roads I don't feel bikes belong on roads OR sidewalks. I'm curious why it should be illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk I've seen way too many accidents and near-accidents caused that were 100% the fault of a biker who was technically obeying the law, but still being unsafe because they were on the road. if he [the cyclist who was killed] had stayed off the road he would still be alive. The driver should absolutely pay attention and look out for you, but the responsibility to pay extra attention falls on the biker who knows they are harder to see. I love biking
              After reviewing your posts, I stand by my original comment. p.s. Out of curiosity, how exactly is a cyclist to "pay extra attention" to traffic that is approaching from behind?

Running Dad

I've seen way too many accidents and near-accidents caused that were 100% the fault of a biker who was technically obeying the law, but still being unsafe because they were on the road.
                I'm still confused about this... I'll try to think about it the next time I'm on the bike..
                Things to do this year:
                Not get an injury
                Things done this year:
                Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                  In Ontario bikes are allowed in the curb lane. When a vehicle passes them it must give the cyclist the whole lane, not just move a little to the left in order to get by. I know of a trucker who rear ended a car thar was stopped in the middle of the lane. He told the judge he didn't see the car because of a snow whiteout situation. The guy in the car said he stopped because he couldn't see where he was going, he couldn't even see where the shoulder of the road was. Judge told my trucker friend accident was his fault because if he couldn't see he should have stopped as well.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Jazz hands!

I don't mind bikers at all, but I wish they would put on helmets and LIGHTS when they bike at night. Seriously, in a city where there's headlights, brakelights and reflectors on parked cars everywhere, the three tiny reflectors on a bike are absolutely not enough. I'm terrified that someday I'm going to kill someone because I couldn't see them. Share my lanes, but PLEASE be visible!!!
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Bugs

srlopez, I live in the area and was told the biker was riding in left lane. Not that that explains why this happened. I think the important this is to realize that if you run or bike on a road with motorized vehicles it's much more dangerous. Make your choices carefully.

Bugs

jfa

I live in the most densely populated state in the country. A byproduct of living here is that everyone on the roads are good and stressed. Road-rage is rampant. Even when people are not pissed, they are busy doing everything but paying attention. Talking on cellphones, texting on cellphones, you name it they're doing it. Therefore, when I go on the roads to run ( or occasionally to bike) I go with the very simple notion that everyone is out to kill me. I run and ride against traffic. I trust no one. I have had to run up on people's lawns to avoid cars and even a school bus coming into the shoulder. Consequently, I mostly run/ride where there are no cars. Just my 2 cents.

Prince of Fatness

I live in the most densely populated state in the country. A byproduct of living here is that everyone on the roads are good and stressed. Road-rage is rampant. Even when people are not pissed, they are busy doing everything but paying attention. Talking on cellphones, texting on cellphones, you name it they're doing it. Therefore, when I go on the roads to run ( or occasionally to bike) I go with the very simple notion that everyone is out to kill me. I run and ride against traffic. I trust no one. I have had to run up on people's lawns to avoid cars and even a school bus coming into the shoulder. Consequently, I mostly run/ride where there are no cars. Just my 2 cents.
                          Being from Jersey, I have no idea what you are talking about. Wink

Not at it at all. 

jfa

Being from Jersey, I have no idea what you are talking about. Wink
                            hmm , maybe it's because I live close to the shore MrPH. It's VERY crowded around here but not so much in more rural areas. I didn't intend to trash our state,only to state what I see on the roads I travel.

Prince of Fatness

hmm , maybe it's because I live close to the shore MrPH. It's VERY crowded around here but not so much in more rural areas. I didn't intend to trash our state,only to state what I see on the roads I travel.
                              It's all good. I was actually being sarcastic and agreeing with you. I'm up in Warren county. You could have considered it rural way back when, but those days are over. Your statement about everyone being out to kill you and not trusting anyone is spot on. That's how I do it.

Not at it at all. 

While I agree with most of your points, I can't imagine, nor have I ever seen anyone riding against traffic. If you tried that around here you would likely be dead, in jail or both in short order. Tom