16 weeks to 26.2 (Read 126 times)

Runs With Kid

What marathon training programs do you use?  I'm looking for a good 16 week Marthon Training Program.  I actually have 15 weeks left, did a 9 mile run today as per my 16 week program, but I'm using an old one, don't even know where it came from anymore.  At one point I converted it to a spreadsheet.  What I like about it is that it gives me 2 off days, not just one that I've seen in other programs, but I'd be interested to know if there are any proven programs that give you 3 days off (maybe one of the to cross-train rather than completely off?).  If it matters, my goal is to break 4 hours.

Jamie / F / 36

Best Marathon 4:00:52 - Goal <4hr

Best Half 1:41 - Goal is never more than 2 hrs, but I don't expect to ever get another PR

an amazing likeness

Specific to your point on wanting days off -- to get some insights into the various training plan's approach pro/con....you might want to take a few minutes (well it will take more than a few...) to read through this recent RA message thread on the Hanson's marathon plan which is one which has more days off.  My recollection of the discussion was there some pretty decent jousting back and forth over the value of the different approached used in differing training plan's style.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I thought Hansons' plans had 6 days/week?

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

OP, is your RA log accurate, or are there a bunch of runs you never updated in it?

Runs With Kid

OP, is your RA log accurate, or are there a bunch of runs you never updated in it?

I'm not good at logging all my runs when I not specifically training for something. My norm is about 20 miles/week, 4 X 5 miles.

npaden

The Hanson Plan does have 6 days a week of running.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Maybe try a Hal Higdon plan?

http://www.halhigdon.com/

Some of his easier plans have only 4 days/ week running and one day XT. They are 18 weeks but you could probably jump into 3rd week. Now, whether that will get you under 4 hours, I don't know. If you've run a 1:41 half before, you definitely have the ability to run under 4, but the easier Higdon plans, starting from a 20 mi/week base, may not be enough to get you there. I know I couldn't run sub-4 on those plans, I need more mileage than that to pull it off.