Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

xor

Hearing Barney Frank say it would be funnier...

Or Barney Fife.  "Compellsion"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I could not tell you what my half pr is other than 1:22something

bhearn

Oooooooooohhh my. Check the updated link:

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/31/paul-ryan-says-hes-run-sub-300-marathon/

No record of a Paul Ryan at Grandma's in 1991. But a Paul D. Ryan did run in 1990: he ran 4:01:25.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thanks, I just blew milk out of my nose reading that.

Sub-3 my ass.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

bhearn

PAUL RYAN = RUN PLAYA'

I think that's a pretty honest mistake for a "non-racer" who raced 21 years ago.

MTA... he was only half his current age (yes, he was young.  Yes, he is young)

I wouldn't consider him a liar or a deceiver for the almost exactly 1 hour mistake.

I wouldn't vote this direction or other direction solely because of this information.

Cheers,
              Brian 

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

bhearn

That's like saying, oh, my highest educational level is Ph.D., when it's really GED. Oh, honest mistake, one of those things that ends in D.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think that's a pretty honest mistake for a "non-racer" who raced 21 years ago.

I disagree.

I wouldn't consider him a liar or a deceiver for the almost exactly 1 hour mistake.

The error is not an error of an hour mis-estimate. It is a fairly substantial error, of 25% or 33%, depending on the direction of your math. And it is the difference between a fairly mediocre time for a 20 year old college athlete and a fairly respectable time. AND given the national spotlight, any assertion of talent, experience and skill needs to be fairly close to the truth, if not clearly the truth.

I wouldn't vote this direction or other direction solely because of this information.

On this one misrepresentation alone, agreed. But if there is a pattern of lies and misrepresentations, this just adds to the fire and may sway voters. But no, it will not influence my vote either, much as my vote won't  influence the outcome of the electoral college representation for my state. Alas.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's like saying, oh, my highest educational level is Ph.D., when it's really GED. Oh, honest mistake, one of those things that ends in D.

This.

Funny, but not really a great comparison, I don't think.

Maybe, it's more like saying "I bowled a 260" without realizing that the highest score is a 300 (and thinking it was a 400, but not remembering since you haven't thought about bowling alley since you quit smoking in 1990).

It was likely a slip of the tongue.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

bhearn

I think most of us here find that really hard to believe. He'd better be able to produce results from an actual sub-3, or he's a bald-faced liar.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It was a factual shortcut.

Imminent Catastrophe

Eh, I ran Monkey in 2:50-something. What's the big deal?

MTA: I am shocked, SHOCKED that a politician would lie. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

Hey, I ran Monkey in 2:50-something as well. Specifically, 2:50 and 35 minutes.

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh, I actually ran in 3-fifty-something. To the best of my recollection I thought it was 2-fifty-something. Also, when I said I ran a 4-minute mile I was mistaken. It was actually about 6. But that was a long time ago.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016