Needly lateral pain on knee (Read 348 times)

She-Rah

Hi there - Does anyone know what might be causing a needly lateral pain - just outside of the knee. I'm thinking it's my IT band. I seem to get the pain when I try to do any decent mileage. It came when I did ~ 35 K a couple of months ago (running/walking; after not much mileage) and cleared up in a few days with rest. Yesterday I skate skied ~9 miles (after I hadn't done much mileage) and it hurt today. It's starting to clear up now tho'. It's bumming me out because I want to start building mileage but I'm too smart to run or ski when it's bugging me. What can I do? I try to stretch the IT with a side bend - standing stretch altho' it doesn't feel like it does much. I also have The Stick but am not religious with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Undecided
      I've had the same thing occur. Sharp pain that seemed focused. It started when running and continued, or sometimes started after running. For me it usually kicked in after 2 miles. At the time the only place I could run were the streets - crowned asphalt - in my neighborhood. I did ITB stretches lightly before running, then longer after running, then also before I went to bed. Not sure if it's related, but at the time I was also pronating heavily. Which led to other problems. IMO the crowned roads I ran on after I moved to that neighborhood correlated with my knee pain. I ran for years before that on asphalt with no problem. The combination of the road surface and a lifetime of pronation (and age) finally took it's toll.