Scary occurrence while running (Read 1308 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I called my doctor, and I was a bit alarmed because she didn't seem all that concerned. Even though I explained to her that I had run under similar circumstances and been fine before, but that this time I had nearly passed out, she said that since I didn't actually pass out, then she didn't think there should be any cause for concern.
    WOW! So if I think I'm having a heart attack, don't worry about it unless I actually have one????? Confused Shocked

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Laura Pond

I can understand why this experience scared you, and you were smart to seek a doctor's advice. However, I'm surprised at the level of alarm this post is inspiring in a few people, and I'd like to offer another perspective. As an athlete with no health insurance (yeah, it sucks) I simply don't have the choice of going to a doctor at the first sign of a (non-emergency) problem. I wait it out, pay attention to my body, gather some research on-line, and closely monitor things so that I can "diagnose" and "treat" myself as much as possible, and if I do decide I need a doctor's attention, I have lots of info to bring to the discussion. Even when I have insurance some day, I'll use a lot of what I've learned during this period to be a better patient and athlete. So, a quick round-up of what you know: You didn't actually pass out, it's only happened to you once, and your doctor isn't concerned. That's all good. You were undernourished, on your period, and you have a "med situation" that fatigues you. (I assume that means you are on some medications, and that you shared this info with your doctor.) It's certainly possible that your woozy spell might have been caused by that combination of factors. Even if the same factors haven't caused it in the past, it may have been the specific combination of levels of nutritive/pharmaceutical/menstrual chemistry, or there may have been another factor that tipped the balance - something you ate, something in the air, hydration, whatever. Bottom line: unless and until you are diagnosed with a specific condition, that's the most likely cause. Not definite, but likely. The heart attack analogy isn't accurate because in your case, you perceived a succession of symptoms (calves seizing, wooziness, darkening vision) that caused you to take successively more aggressive steps to relieve them (first leaning, then sitting, then lying back). You responded appropriately to the signals your body was sending, and you were able to get home safely and get back to your normal life. In a heart attack situation, if you're lucky enough to perceive that you're having one in time to call 911, all you can do is wait - I'm pretty sure you can't stop it once it's happening. Take the common-sense safety steps you and others have mentioned (carrying a cell phone & gels while you run, etc.) and pay attention to how you feel, both when running and otherwise. Do some on-line research about the symptoms and suspicions (circulation, anemia, etc.). See if you can get a sense of whether the seized-up calves and the light-headedness are separate issues, or part of the same problem. You can't diagnose yourself via internet info bites, but it's helpful for separating out and calling attention to specific symptoms. That way, if you decide to seek a second opinion or further medical advice, you'll be well-armed with lots of specific info, i.e. "I did have this symptom, but not this one. It happens when I do X, but not Y." I'm not a medical professional, and you have to follow your own instincts, but it would be a shame for you to quit running out of fear, if it was just a one-time fluke, or something easily manageable/treatable. Proceed with caution, think safety first, fuel yourself adequately, and Good Luck!

#artbydmcbride

I'd carry baby aspirin too.

Runners run

sabend

Laura, thank you so much for your very informative and eloquent post! I do have insurance, but I don't really enjoy driving to see my doctor, paying a copay, waiting around forever, and then having my doctor tell me I'm fine. Or having my doctor send me off for tests that take forever and come back negative or inconclusive. I went running yesteday without a problem, as well as twice today (a mile to my friends' house, and then a mile back). My calves are still feeling tight by the end of the first 3/4ths of a mile, but I've been doing some serious (but careful) stretching as soon as I've gotten back from my run. And I'll just keep carrying my cell phone, as well as my ID card when I run! Most of my shorts have a little pocket that I keep my ID and keys in anyway. Ilene, I appreciate the baby aspirin comment, but not only am I not at risk for heart attack (nor did I have any symptoms of one), but I'm actually allergic to aspirin!!
          Laura Pond

Glad to hear you're back in the swing. Coincidentally, I am nursing an Achilles tendon twinge. If you come to suspect that your calf issues might have an Achilles component, I recommend the site http://www.achillestendon.com/. Stay healthy!