Positives of cold weather running (Read 1059 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

In addition to the relatively cooler weather in Southern CA, I love that all of the birds, geese and ducks migrate down here. I run along the bay and honestly you can't believe the variety of birds. It is better than the zoo. And you know what's funny about the geese, they don't get pissed and chase you. Maybe they are too tired from all that migrating.
    Just watch where you step... You Southerners mind keeping those birds next summer? I'd like to see some green grass that actually hasn't been digested yet.
      I thought of one! When you run during a winter storm and sweat freezes on your face and the snow stick to it. By the time you get home you have a really cool looking ice beard. Happened to me several times last winter and it was always good for a laugh when I got home. Well, other people laughed. Me, not so much.
      And who am I anyway?
      Just another fat jogger, evidently.
        For me, running all winter makes the Cleveland winters seem tame. If I go out for a run at 6:00 AM, walking out later to jump in the car and go to work seems comfortable. If I go a while without running outside, I start to feel like the weather is colder than it really is (rarely gets below zero fahrenheit here), and I start to just want to stay inside. Also, running in the snow can be beautiful.
          no bears,
          That's a pretty good reason. If I lived there I'd probably only run in winter. I live in the east end of Toronto, in the news lately, there has been a mountain lion spotted in a conservation area, on two occasions over the last week. The word out is stay away from wooded areas between dusk and dawn, travel in groups and carry a whistle.......carry a whistle WTF Confused. Anyway this sucks!!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

+ Snow provides cushioning for your feet + Ice adds a bit of thrill + No leaves means better GPS signals + I love to pass x-country skiers, at least on the uphills + I get to scare passers by when they see the icicles in my beard
            Gig

I like to see my breath. You may think that's childish. If you do, my only comment is "I know you are but what am I?"
              TJN

S Army Kettle run...

It's that great crisp air of winter vs. the hot humid stuff we suck in during the summer. It's the people at work asking "don't you hurt your lungs running when it's that cold"? It's having the "slippery street" excuse available when I look at my pace on the Garmin after my run .... Tim

Tim 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

No traffic on the school track. Yes!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I forgot one...my butt looks kinda hot in tights. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

on the pit stops you can write your name in the snow ... dotting the "I" can be tough

2012= under-goaled

No deer flies to swat.
                        +1 to that! I'm allergic to them, so most of August I come out of the woods with gigantic red welts on any exposed flesh. And even some covered flesh...evil little buggers. My list: Don't need to carry as much fluid Less horse stuff on the trails A chance to break out the blaze orange running gear (hmmm...maybe that's not such a positive Smile) The beauty of running in a quiet, gentle snow fall
                        Gig

I've been thinking about this for a few days, but the answer is so obvious. My winter running clothes are far more stylish. Cool

Giants Fan

I love when I get home from a run and I have icicles hanging from my eyelashes! (yes I still sweat just as bad in the winter). Love having people look at you like you are positively crazy...makes me feel like I'm tougher than about 80% of the population!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz