Winter/Nighttime Visibility -- Gear and Tips (Read 856 times)

an amazing likeness

I like to wear the xinglet without a shirt.  I look like one of the village people

aka 'The reflective Borat package'.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

Milkman, you got me with #2.  I'm cold and lonely just thinking about that much snow.

mta = broken link

2012= under-goaled

I'm another runner that only uses a handheld, for the same reasons cited earlier.   I only run trails, so my visibility is less an issue than being able to see the trail (handhelds give you much better depth perception). 

I've tried a lot of lights, and this one really kicks butt:

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=118

A friend of mine sells them...and she had been trying to get me to buy one for the last year and I kept telling her there was no way in hell I was going to spend $65 on a flashlight.  Well, I forgot my light at the Bighorn 100 this year and she loaned me one... at the finish I bought it on the spot.  The few times I've run on roads it's great for giving drivers a quick flash of light at intersections... though it's probably way overkill for road running.

xor

Yup, I use the fenix as well... looks like a slightly older version of that model.  It is a tank and it does not eat batteries.

Prince of Fatness

No, it's not upside down.  

The point?  when it's hot out, man this thing is awsome, becuase it doesn't add any layers.  It's breezy, like you don't even have anything on. There is a very small zipper area for a key or a chapstick.    

mta:  and in the winter, just put it over whatever you're wearing.  It fits over everything. 

Right.  The one I have has no pocket, which is what I prefer.  You can get them either way, and I think that the one with the pocket costs a couple of bucks more.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Milkman, you got me with #2. 

Ew.

xor

Heh.

Hu Flung Dung

This is the xinglet....

I've used a vest and just find this more comfortable to wear.

Kinda looks like something you'd see at the Folsom Street Fair in San Francisco.  Sans shirt or pants.  Not that I'd know.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR