Pumpkin (Read 662 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Bread - Ingredients: 2 cups flour 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mixture* 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups sugar 3/4 cup vegetable oil 3 large eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3 cups fresh pumpkin mashed up (canned will do) Directions: - Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Prep the baking pans with: butter and flour, nonstick cooking spray, paper cupcake liners or parchment paper. - Mix or sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. - In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Combine both mixtures and fold in the mashed pumpkin. Once the ingredients are all incorporated, pour into a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan or muffin tins. - Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes for a loaf, 30-35 minutes for muffins. A knife or toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean. - Cool for 15 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. *My spice mixture includes cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, candied ginger and orange zest
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trent, you are quickly becoming my favorite renaissance man! Big grin Hey, how do you think this would work if a person used all whole wheat flour in place of the white flour...or might half white/half ww work better? I'm just not a fan of white flour if I can avoid it. Otherwise this sounds really awesome! I LOVE pumpkin bread. BTW, got any banana bread recipes? I have about 6 overripe nanners in the freezer that I need to use up. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would half and half the flours if you were to do it. You can also sub out half the oil with the same volume of apple sauce. Banana bread? I don't usually follow a recipe, but what I do looks about like this - 1 1/2 cups flour 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 stick butter, melted 1/3 cup white sugar 1/3 cup brown sugar 2 eggs 1-2 cups bananas, overripe, mushy nasty in glop and pieces Optional - (any or all at once) 1/4 cup yogurt 1/2 cup nuts or pine nuts 1 cup chocolate chips (extra dark of course) 1/4 cup jam or marmalade Bake at 350f until chestnut brown and knife comes out clean.
          My mom is quite the baker (and the chef) -- I, alas, am not Sad But: she dropped off these AMAZING cinnamon, brown sugar muffins today ... she told me she made them with very little sugar and olive oil (!) instead of butter or vegtable oil or anything else (and only 1/3 cup for the whole batch). They are delicious! ... if anyone would like the recipe, let me know, and I'll ask her to email it. Smile
          2009: BQ?
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I would think yogurt in banana bread would be really good--I've never thought of doing that! One of these days I need to make a big batch of heating pad yogurt, again! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I often use olive oil, especially in pie crust. It gives things a certain je ne sais quoi Yes
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

je ne sais quoi
                Tongue I don't know what, either...

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Just don't use the olive oil for sauteing. I will say, though, that I am amused about the differentiation between olive oil, and vegetable oil. Olives are vegetables........ I know the difference, but it struck me as funny.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Olives are vegetables
                    Olives are actually fruits.
                    Scout7

Olives are actually fruits.
                      So are tomatoes. Depends on context.
                        Oh, Trent, you have just become my new hero!! I worship pumpkin!! It doesn't matter what it is...pumpkin pie, muffins, icecream, cookies, bread, soup (yes, soup...great recipe from zoom-zoom), I LOVE PUMPKIN!!! I'm going to make this today! Any BTW, Kirsten, I have a great recipe for banana bread and it uses only whole wheat flour, not white. I'll dig it up & post it or call you later with it. Eryn
                        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any BTW, Kirsten, I have a great recipe for banana bread and it uses only whole wheat flour, not white. I'll dig it up & post it or call you later with it. Eryn
                          Ha, I was just going to ask you for that...I have a bunch of nanners in the freezer that I want to use up! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay