Virtual Races. Thumbs up or down? (Read 315 times)

NorthNorthwest

I'm running a Thanksgiving Day race in Indianapolis this year that has a virtual option.  That's a situation where I could see SOME value.  If you have a family tradition of running it and supporting the charity, but you can't make it home that year...it can be a way to feel connected with family/friends who are running it and support the charity.

I hail from and live in Cincinnati, where this will be the 106th Thanksgiving Day 10K race (I'll be with the in-laws out of town this year).  I think it's the 6th oldest race in the country after the Boston Marathon and a few others.  You literally will see people wearing shirts that say it's the 50th time they've run it - and it's a long running tradition for many families.  (not sure if the Cincy race has a virtual option)

So if there's a compelling reason for a virtual race/option - sure, why not?  But I'm in agreement that most of the time it seems kind of silly to me, although it probably is harmless most of the time.

Just for historical accuracy, Buffalo has the oldest race in the country.  Older Than Boston

Maniac

Virtual races aren't for me, but if you have disposable income and they motivate you to run....Sure.  Go nuts.  People do lots of stuff I wouldn't do.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Half Crazy K 2.0

I did one because one of the off-site programs I work with had a team at a local 5k (local for them, not me). It was for a cause that is very much one our organization supports.

I would only do it for a cause I support.

A virtual race is not a race at all.  I wouldn't participate.  However I see nothing wrong with supporting a charity by doing a virtual race, I personally would just skip that part and make a donation.  That just my opinion.  If you like virtual races then knock yourself out.

Dream Maker

So I have a few races lined up this month then nothing much until the fall. I was looking online for possible events and noticed a number of Virtual Races.  These are the ones where you run a specific distance on your own.  If you want, you can pay to have a medal and/or a shirt mailed to you.

Anybody have an opinion on these things?  They seem to be growing in popularity.  I think they are pretty cool but I have no desire to participate.  It would just seem like a glorified training run.

I wouldn't consider it a race.

The only time I participated was when they cancelled the Cowtown 50K this year, and that's because I wasn't getting a refund anyways.

(Exception for when they have a deployed military "virtual" version of a race.)

Kalsarikännit

Sunita Williams qualified for Boston but couldn't make it because of her job, so she did a virtual race. It ended up being pretty cool.

http://m.space.com/3702-nasa-astronaut-completes-boston-marathon-space.html

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

kcam

Still ... not a race and certainly not the Boston Marathon.

cliffordtbrd

I have done them b/c the $ went to charity and because I have a medal to mail to my buddy in the I Run 4 Michael program.  A win-win in my book.

Stef

I agree. I once did a half marathon as a virtual race. I'm still trying to get close to the finish time I had in that one. I ran with a running app on my phone which said I had run 13.1 miles, but that isn't the same as actually running 13.1 miles. I won't do another and will just donate to a charity instead.

They are just glorified training runs.  First, unless you are running in another race with a certified course, you have no guarantee you are covering the full distance (and no just because your Garmin says 6.2 miles does not mean you ran a 10K).  Second, since you are not in a true race situation you are not likely to run as fast as you would when you are actually racing.  Third, you are missing out on the excitement of competing against other runners under the same conditions - both weather and course conditions.  Finally, would you really pay to have a t-shirt and medal mailed to you.  It is just a recognition of your participation (and do you really need them).

Some of these virtual runs are fundraisers for charities.  They do it virtually to save the cost of putting on the run and to increase the number of participants.  If you really want to support that charity and want to wear a shirt that advertises that charity, then go for it.  Otherwise, you can just about always find some race most weekends all summer to run in.

It always seems impossible, until it's done. ~ Nelson Mandela