5K Race Report (Read 566 times)

Ran a 5K Race last night (Wed 6/18). This is the first time I've run on this particular course. I had set a goal 22:15/7:11 pace and ran a 22:10/7:10 pace. The first mile was some rolling hills and not bad at all, the 2nd mile started the same way and then about a qtr mile in had the only real hill on the course. The third mile was mostly flat with two little downhills which I pushed pretty hard. The weather was rather cool with some light rain thrown in. Certainly better than last week when we had 90+ temps with high humidity I had a great 1st mile 7:11 but mile two sucked with a 7:38. Mile 3.1 was fantastic with a 7:20 being a 6:41 pace. This is the fastest I've ever run in training or in a race. I did have a 6:55 mile 5 in a 5 miler on memorial day and that was my first recorded under 7:00 minute pace. So I'm fairly pleased with my overall time and thrilled with my last effort. The middle mile, not so pleased with! However, I had been training for and just completed my First HM a few weeks ago and my focus has not been on speed work and fast starts. So this race brought me close to my goal for the year of breaking 7:00 pace for a 5K. I hit 7:02 in two 5Ks last year on easier courses and later in the season (Aug & Oct). Will be doing more speedwork now that the HM is out of my way and will change my strategy from going out slow in practice runs and finishing strong to going out stronger and holding it together. I have another 5K coming up on the Fourth of July weekend, a course that is pretty flat and I know that I should be able to easily take another 5 seconds or more off the pace if I have a good day and if I have a great day could be around 7:00 pace

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

jeffdonahue

Nice job! You are almost there.

ultramarathon/triathlete

keep up the good work. throw in some hill repeats and they might help your overall speed.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Giant Flaming Dork

Great job and great pace, LPH! Where was the 5k?

http://xkcd.com/621/

It was at the MDC Resorvoir off Rte 4 in Farmington. Good luck at Bristol this weekend, hope the weather holds off long enough to get the race in.

LPH

I was doing hill repeats prior to Memorial day, but my schedule has been crazy since then and I haven't had time to make it to the places I run with Hills.
              keep up the good work. throw in some hill repeats and they might help your overall speed.

LPH

Giant Flaming Dork

It was at the MDC Resorvoir off Rte 4 in Farmington. Good luck at Bristol this weekend, hope the weather holds off long enough to get the race in.
                Congrats on the fast time! Those hills are killer! I can't believe I missed that one AGAIN! I couldn't seem to find it on any of the race finders. Would have liked to have been there. I've heard it's a great run! DW and I used to walk that course 3-4x per week. We once walked it in 37 minutes.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Congrats!!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Great run, Larry! Don't be disappointed about the 2nd. mile, you said that was the mile with the hill. Next time out it will be 21Tight lippedx. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.