What Would You Do: One Less Long Run or 2-Week Taper (Read 611 times)

Before the disaster that was the 85º+ Country Music Marathon I was convinced by some friends to register for Chicago.  I'm looking for some redemption so, since the CMM, I've been working on becoming a consistent 5 day-a-week runner and have been successful at that.  I am now 2 weeks into the 18-week Hal Higdon "intermediate 1" marathon training plan.

Now I've hit a snag: our local running club has posted the fall marathon group training run schedule and the last two runs (20 and 21 miles) are 4 weeks and 2 weeks before Chicago.  So, what would you do: skip the last run to do a 3 (or 4) week taper or run the last run and just do a 2 week taper?

Some other points: 

• i'm slow so we're talking 11:45-12 pace for the long runs with a dream of a sub-5 hour marathon
    • there are 2 18-milers two and fou weeks before the 20 and 21
    • the last run is point-to-point so cutting the distance short isn't easy.
    • the last run is my favorite run ever (probably because it was my first time over 20)
    • with a 3-week taper last time I never got the "wow my legs feel really fresh" feeling.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

A Saucy Wench

2 week taper.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I did the two week taper for my marathon and based on your current milage imagine you will not be more than mid 40 mpw by then.

I think the three week taper is more imortant for the really high milers (70 - 100mpw) to get a longer/smoother decline for the taper.

That extra long run will probably do you better for both comfort and leg strength and two weeks is still a long time to rest as also followed higdon and that race week feels like he is really babying you and may even run more this marathon in the week leading up to.

That being said ... listen to the body at the time and if you fel good then run , if on that last longrun you feel drained can always cut a few miles off the planned training run.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Prince of Fatness

My gut feeling is to do what you think works for you, even if that means bagging out on this group.  I'm inclined to vote for a short taper, but 21 miles at your pace is a lot of time on your feet two weeks out.

Not at it at all. 

xor

2 week taper.

+1 for the two week taper. You (should) run because you enjoy it, and it is your favorite run. Just make sure you do that last run very slowly/easily.

Running - cheaper than therapy

noahsd

Two week taper.....

Wow, pretty strong consensus.  Good to know that there's nothing magical about the 3 week taper.  Of course the end of September is a long way away so I will, as some suggested, evaluate how I'm doing when the run is closer.

Thanks for the input.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

used to ave 60mi.  a week , Always did the 2 week taper 30 mi.

then the last week most important, being only 15 miles total

cause when you add the 26 to it you still have a 40+ marathon week

good luck

If you are really worried about doing that many miles 2 weeks before you could always take a few miles off the run.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!