Another silly question from this newbie runner (Read 1307 times)

Thanks for all the good advice. I love hearing from the people who have been there too!
    Maybe I should add that the first time I got into running I did everything wrong, including adding too many miles too quickly and injured my knee. I tried coming back twice in subsequent years and each time tried to do too many miles too quickly and promptly reinjured my knee. This time around I finally learned from my mistakes and started out slow and haven't had any problems at all since I started in August 2007.
      Naoko Takahashi, 2000 Sydney Olympic marathon champion and the first woman to break 2:20 for the marathon, spends 2~3 months BEFORE she starts marathon training program going up and down the rugged cross country courses WALKING, then moving onto SLOW jogging, up to 70km, as "leg building" phase. I WOULD be a bit careful with a sharp pain; it however sounds like you had done quite a bit of walking previously... Keep the area warm by, if you can, I mean, if you don't wear skirt all day long, like cut off the arm part of sweat shirts and wear that around your knee to keep it warm during the day; then, whever you have the opportunity, do ice massage. Ice MASSAGE is better than just icing by putting the ice pack over your knee and leave it. Put water in a paper cup and freeze it; then peel about a half an ince of paper off; this way, you can still hold it without freezing your fingers; using a circular motion, "massage" the area with the ice cup. Before I got a car with cruise control, I used to get a sharp knee pain deep inside whenever I drove longer than an hour. Somehow, just holding my foot down for gas was enough to aggrevate something... As I got out of the car, my leg is very stiff and had a sharp pain in my knee. It's good that you're paying attention and know when it hurts. Perhaps getting up and stretch out your leg once in a while during the day might help. If it does, probably keeping the area warm and ice massage most likely should help. If the pain gets worse as you continue running, it's best not to push it and seek professional help. If the pain eases as you warm-up, it's probably better actually you do something. Just don't rush it and push it. Go easy. Most probably EVERY one of us has gone through some sort of set-back one time or another. Don't just give it up the throw the towell.

Hawt and sexy

If you are hurting while you are running, try slowing down during the run. The new shoes suck, return them. I usually get 600+ miles out of my Brooks, but that does not mean you can. I would try a new pair of the same shoe before I would switch brands and lasts. If slowing down does not help the pain, then you have to probably go see a sports doc and see if s/he can help you find the problem. It could be any number of things, you just need to remember how the pains started and what pain came next.

I'm touching your pants.

My advice... cut way back on miliage, but try some really easy short runs once in a while. Take up strength training for your legs. Work on every knee strengthening exercise you can. As your pain decrease slowly build back the millage. Also since you have worked hard to build up a decent arobic base and you wouldn't like to loose it, consider cross training. Is year round swimming available to you? Consider bicycling ext.

Member Since 2008

Nobby, What is your recommendation on Ibuprofen. I have been running for almost five years, with a dull pain in my right knee that comes and goes periodically. Usually when I start running, I feel it, but after around a half mile it stops.

Giant Flaming Dork

There's a lot of good advice here. (And it's not about the shoes) There are too many miles and (possibly) too fast. Take a few days off and see what that does to the pain. After taking a few days off, do a short and easy run. Take a rest day after that and see what that does to the pain. If none of this changes the pain, or if it gets worse. Go see a Dr. You do not want an injury this early in your running career. I hit 325miles on the first pair of shoes when my knee started bugging me and assumed it was the shoes. In reality it was the 40% jump in miles and subsequent injury. You can take a look at my log to see what an injury does to your running. Concentrate on no more than a 10% increase in mileage per week. As JCEntRunner said, some runners can accept the training ramp you've done, but why take that chance? Both Jims (Is that fair? JimR and Jim24315) were both trying to get me to slow down and build a base of easy miles slowly. I was pigheaded and thought I knew better than they did. Being in your shoes, I know how loudly the siren song of mileage calls. It's quite possible that the shoes are a problem and I would return them as soon as possible and try a different pair. The shoes are possibly changing the biomechanics of your running enough to exacerbate whatever problem you had before you changed shoes. You may want to buy a new pair of the Brooks shoes to make sure that it's not the shoes. HTFU does not mean run through all pain. HTFU means that if you've just done all the necessary training for a race and you get a side stitch, you run through it. HTFU does not mean running though a potential injury. MTA - There are NO SILLY QUESTIONS from newbie runners. MTA = Modified To Add

http://xkcd.com/621/

Nobby, What is your recommendation on Ibuprofen. I have been running for almost five years, with a dull pain in my right knee that comes and goes periodically. Usually when I start running, I feel it, but after around a half mile it stops.
                I think running through paiin by taking ibuprofen is a sure sign of either you're (1) super-dedicated, (2) obssessed or (3) complete nuts! Well, I guess I'm one of these myself! ;o) You have to determine what kind of pain you're experiencing. For example, my Achilles still hurts. I have a race coming up this Saturday. I did a few strides this morning. It hurt when I was jogging, and it hurt when I did strides but not any worse. I thought, if it hurts more when I get up on my toes, then I'll skip it. But it didn't. So I'll be gubbling down some Advil and head out for a race this Saturday! I remember talking to Dick Quax years ago when I first developed my Achilles problem. Now, he's a bit of a cocky SOB--and that's why I love him!-- and he said, "After all these years, my Achilles still hurts...!" Well! We all have some pains and aches. Have you seen this old movie, North Dallas 40, with Nick Nolte? He's a pro football player. In the opening scene, he got up and got out of bed, he's sore all over the place... I remember, in my younger days when I was running upward of 100 miles a week, I was remembering that scene when I got up... I would NOT suggest anybody to run through pain--any pain. If in doubt, do less... A problem is; we never know exactly what kind of pain someone else is experiencing. My wife has a very low pain threshold. She would complain with a little pain. I'd tell her to take it easy; then I'd turn around and do a 3-hour run with sore Achilles. Well, this is because I know my pain. I know I can tolerate it (as much, if not more, as Gov. Palin would "tolerate" gay people! ;o)). But without fully understanding what it is someone else is having, I would NEVER suggest anybody to run through pain. You see, a problem with message board like this is; someone would post, "Hey, my knee hurts... What should I do?" without fully explaining what the exact symptoms are. Then some non-professional people would come out and say, "Hey, I've had a knee pain too and this is what I did..." This could actuall make the situation worse! I'm not saying such threads are bad; in fact, it IS nice to hear live experience stories from other people. But ultimately, YOU will have to make a judgement. Sure, it's cheap--it's a free advice whereas if you go to see a doctor, it can be costly! But don't be like Kraimer in Seinfeld when he had a cough and he took a dog with "same cough" to a vet and get a medication for a dog cuz it was cheaper! In your case, the fact that it goes away rather quickly (after only a half a mile of running) sort of suggest, to me, that it's not that serious. And I can live with a dull pain instead of a sharp pain--sharp pain, I'd stop and go see a doctor. But the fact it's been going on for several years (it seems) buggs me. It could be some structural issue that no one here would know (sometimes even you yourself may not even know) that can be corrected relatively easily--you'll never know...
                JimR

Have you seen this old movie, North Dallas 40, with Nick Nolte? He's a pro football player. In the opening scene, he got up and got out of bed, he's sore all over the place... I remember, in my younger days when I was running upward of 100 miles a week, I was remembering that scene when I got up...
                  My wife sometimes does a double take when I walk down the stairs in the morning. I move like I'm a hundred years old in the mornings. I don't really 'hurt' anywhere and I'm not injured, but there's always something achy and tight somewhere. I can't imagine though taking stuff for it all the time, I'd be in a permanent state of painakiller infusion. It never takes long to shake it all loose anyway so no point.
                    Aside from the issues of running through pain that Nobby talks about, use caution with vitamin I. It can create issues with kidneys, esp. if you take on empty stomach. It can also exacerabate some dehydration issues during a race. I know some people pop the stuff like candy, but there's also been some nasty repercussions under certain circumstances. (can't remember the stories or sources off top of my head) My bottle of 50 Aleve generally expires before it gets used up. I did use it more frequently when my achilles was bad, but PT found source of problem, gave me some strengthening exercises, and it's rarely an issue any more.
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Member Since 2008

"I think running through paiin by taking ibuprofen is a sure sign of either you're (1) super-dedicated, (2) obssessed or (3) complete nuts! Well, I guess I'm one of these myself! ;o) You have to determine what kind of pain you're experiencing. For example, my Achilles still hurts. I have a race coming up this Saturday. I did a few strides this morning. It hurt when I was jogging, and it hurt when I did strides but not any worse. I thought, if it hurts more when I get up on my toes, then I'll skip it. But it didn't. So I'll be gubbling down some Advil and head out for a race this Saturday!" Nobby, I think you hit it right on the head. I really need to just take a couple of weeks off, but it is hard. Thanks for your time.