Aerobic Base & Speedwork (Read 869 times)

Princess Cancer Pants

Hey, question for those of you more in the know than I. I see references to aerobic base and when to start doing speedwork and my "Competitive Runner's Handbook" (Glover, Florence-Glover) discusses it, too. What I am wondering is what you all have found to be the best point to start incorporating speedwork and what sorts of things you find to be the most effective and/or easiest to start with. I am currently up to about 15 miles/week and plan to increase my weekly workout times by around 10% each week (I generally concentrate more on adding time than distance--easier for my Math-addled brain to wrap itself around). This coming week I will be running 180 total minutes (divided between 4 sessions, including at least one longer run). I have done a few shorter "tempo" runs over the past few weeks--basically running harder than my usual "easy" pace, but not quite as fast as the race I ran yesterday. Should I be trying to make one of my 4 weekly runs into a speed workout? Thanks for any advice you guys and gals can share with me. I really want my goal for my upcoming races to be more than just cross the finish line alive--I want to kick some butt (heh, and hopefully drop 10-15#s in the process)! Big grin k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

I think you'll find a lot of different answers out there depending on who you talk to. Generally speaking you want to have a "good," "solid" base under you before adding speedwork in order to prevent injuries. LOL! Just don't ask me what "good" and "solid" are! I often hear a 6 month time frame thrown around, but I don't think there's a set answer for you. Probably depends on who you are, where you're coming from, and how prone you are to overuse injuries... Hopefully someone out there can put up a couple links to info on this. It seems to be a common question. BTW, I happen to LIKE the goal of "crossing the finish line alive." MUCH better than the alternative... Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...