3h (max) sponsored run in less than a week (Read 49 times)

Lastgap

Hi all,

I'llbe participating in a sponsor run to raise money for an animal shelter next Saturday. The run goes for maximum 3h and seems to be on a track of 300m, so short rounds. I don't have to run for the whole 3h but I'm aiming for it, especially since some of my sponsors pay per lap. I also don't want to just slowly walk for 3h Wink

I learned about it only last week but since I care about the cause I want to participate even though I have little time for preparation. I hadn't been running for at least a month before last week, and even when I was running it was inconsistent, sometimes not at all and sometimes 3 times per week, with distances between 7.5 and 16 km per run. Last week I ran four times, 3x 10km at around 5m/km and on Friday 23.5km in 2:20h, resulting in 5:50/km . The 23.5 was the longest distance I ever ran and by the end my legs felt really heavy, I don't think I could have gone for another 40 min to make the 3h of the run. I also went for a 10k the next day but I felt tired and slow due to lack of rest. Therefore I took yesterday off to get some rest.

What would be the best way to prepare in this last week before the run?

How many runs, for how long, and how many days of break before the run next Saturday?

Also other advice, such as how long before the race I should eat and what, are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Christirei

I would think with so little preparation time you should probably think about doing a run/walk thing. Maybe four or five laps of running then a walk lap and so forth?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

The general rule is that it takes two weeks before you see results from any increase in your training. So to push yourself for longer runs now to the point of feeling slow and tired may be counterproductive when your event is less than a week away. Your best bet is to run enough to maintain your current fitness level, just do your typical distances and speed. You don't want to feel tired or sore on the sponsored run, so take it easy the last days before, perhaps a very slow and short run on Thursday and a easy walk on Friday. Now everyone is different so it is hard to advise you as to what to eat, only that you should have enough time to digest, like 2 or 3 hours before the run and eat lightly, you don't want to run on a full stomach. I usually just make a fruit smoothie in my blender, or sometimes will eat a small amount of cooked buckwheat groats (kasha) as soon as I get up, but don't try anything different on the event day since you don't know how you will react. With a run of 3 hours you might want to consider a source of sugar you can take during the run since glycogen levels can be depleted in that amount of time. That could be sports drinks, gels or even some fruit, like orange slices or banana. The walk/run is a good idea, start adding walk breaks in early, don't wait until you are already tired, and you will be able to run longer. During the event just run at what pace is comfortable, no reason to wear yourself out with fast laps. Maintain a good attitude, enjoy the day and if your brain starts to tell you that you are tired and need to stop then distract it by looking at the scenery or the sky or some children playing, try to imagine that you are receiving positive energy from them. Dress so you feel cool or even cold at the start, you will warm up during the run and you don't want to feel overheated. Well, that's all I got! Good luck in your event!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Lastgap

Hi guys, thank you so much for your help. I will take it easy this week, look to recover until the race and then do the run/walk thing. Should be easy to do the 3h in this way, so if after 2h i feel like I have enough in the tank I might go for pure running at that point, but this feels like a safer way to push through than pure running for 3h Smile