early morning training (Read 202 times)

jmoxie

How early do you get up to train?

As my miles are increasing ( long runs are 5), i am finding myself having to get up earlier and earlier so i can get my roadwork in before getting ready for work. Problem is what do i do down the line when i increase to 8-10 miles or so? It is something i think about as i run and wonder how i will be able to adapt to that. I just cant see myself getting up at 4am.

I know as i increase the distance my pace is slowly decreasing in time which will help and i am getting faster without thinking about it but i am still looking at getting up very early by summer time.

so what have you done when faced with this?

TJoseph

You will have to figure out what works for you.  When I am travelling in tropical climates, I get up at 4:30AM to get my run in before it gets too hot for me to run.  I just go to bed early.  Other times I run at lunch or in the evening after work.  Many people save their long run for the weekend when they have more time.

Gator eye

I can't see myself getting up at 4am either, that why I get up at 3:30am. Gives me time to get a cup of joe, out the door and 10 done before 5:30 am.

Once you get use to running at that time it's just another thing on your to do list before work.

rainmakerrc

I can't see myself getting up at 4am either, that why I get up at 3:30am. Gives me time to get a cup of joe, out the door and 10 done before 5:30 am.

Once you get use to running at that time it's just another thing on your to do list before work.

This. If you're consistent, it'll eventually become routine. It helps to adopt a mindset of, "Get it done before work, or it's not getting done." There are times it will suck to get up at 3:15 in the morning, but I can't say that I regretted it once I got the miles done.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I get up at 5:00 am.  I draw the line there, in fact, so if I need more than 6.5 miles, I run a morning/evening double.  Regular long runs, of course, I do on weekends.

Latent Runner

I am typically awake and down in the barn by 5:00, however, by the time I have the horses fed and the barn all cleaned up, it's time to go to work.  Said another way, I almost never run in the morning, after work (or sometimes at lunch) is my chosen time to hit the trails.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Get up earlier. Or, find a way to run at lunchtime. Or, run in the evenings. And/or, do doubles. Point is, obviously, if you want to run more, you will have to make extra time in your schedule somewhere. And it will be at a time you are currently doing something else that is probably more enjoyable - sleeping, spending time with your family, lounging in front of the TV, etc. But there is no best or worst time of the day to run - whatever is most convenient for your schedule is best, because it will keep you in the habit. No magic, just focus on finding ways to get the miles in, rather than excuses not to.

Dave

an amazing likeness

Run in the evening so all I'm late for is dinner....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jmoxie

thanks for the replies.

I love running in the solitude of the morning, versus the hustle and heat of the day hear in south florida. No waiting of traffic either.

I will just keep getting up earlier for now and probably have to change my schedule so i run longer runs on weekend mornings.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I have several alarms set for 3:50-4:10am on my iPhone. I need several to wake up. Coffee starts brewing on a timer at 4:00am most mornings, which helps me get out of bed. I get dressed (in clothes picked out the night before), drink coffee, eat plain Cheerios, let my system clear itself out, and then do a workout of up to 2 hours ... and then get home in time enough for my wife to leave for work at 7ish.

I wasn't always a 4am riser, but if I want to get my run in, this is what I've got to do.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have several alarms set for 3:50-4:10am on my iPhone. I need several to wake up. Coffee starts brewing on a timer at 4:00am most mornings, which helps me get out of bed. I get dressed (in clothes picked out the night before), drink coffee, eat plain Cheerios, let my system clear itself out, and then do a workout of up to 2 hours ... and then get home in time enough for my wife to leave for work at 7ish.

I wasn't always a 4am riser, but if I want to get my run in, this is what I've got to do.

I'm curious...what time do you go to bed?

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'm curious...what time do you go to bed?

Between 10-11pm on days w 4am wake-up calls. I only do the 4am alarms up to 3x per week.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I'm not a morning person - I prefer getting up around 10am. Occasionally I've done the 6am run but I generally would rather run at night. In the heat of the summer, I've sometimes waited till 11pm or even later to get some cooler night weather. Whatever works.

Weather is another thing people deal with. Personally, I choose to believe there is no bad running weather, just bad clothing. Hurricanes and tornadoes excepted. Of course when its 100F and 90% humidity, clothing or the lack therefore, won't help you.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Between 10-11pm on days w 4am wake-up calls. I only do the 4am alarms up to 3x per week.

I insist on seven hours for myself, which means bed no later than 10 pm.

Latent Runner

Weather is another thing people deal with. Personally, I choose to believe there is no bad running weather, just bad clothing. Hurricanes and tornadoes excepted. Of course when its 100F and 90% humidity, clothing or the lack therefore, won't help you.

Ordinarily I would agree with you about the weather; today was an exception.  We had a nasty ice storm last night and my normal winter trail was scary slippery, I tried a second trail and it was, if anything worse, and while the roads were clear, the shoulders were still covered in a quarter inch of ice.  My scheduled 8-mile run today didn't even make it to the one tenth of a mile mark before I called it a day.  Sad

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                                • 2-mile: 13:49
                                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13