Marathon Lodging -- pool? (Read 743 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I'm planning to register for my first marathon in a couple of days and looking at lodging options, since things already appear to be filling up fast. One place I am looking at would probably be fine (relatively cheap, super close to finish and where the shuttle busses are picking us up for transport to the start), but doesn't have a pool. Will floating around in a pool be something I am thankful for in the hours after the race, or is it likely not something I would make use of?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

One place I am looking at would probably be fine (relatively cheap, super close to finish and where the shuttle busses are picking us up for transport to the start), but doesn't have a pool. Will floating around in a pool be something I am thankful for in the hours after the race, or is it likely not something I would make use of?
      this will depend on whether there will be serious chafing or not...i went into the ocean after my marathon...big mistake.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh...salt water...in fresh wounds--zowie!!! Shocked Hmmm...I'm looking more at the lodging options and the other places near the finish get expensive very fast. With tax and everything even the cheapest option with no pool will be $250 for 2 nights. The pool would cost us probably at least $100 more. Bah. The place I'm looking at has a view of Lake MI. By then the lake should be cold. I should just go jump in the lake...I'm thinking I'd not be the only one. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

The place I'm looking at has a view of Lake MI. By then the lake should be cold. I should just go jump in the lake...I'm thinking I'd not be the only one. Wink
          Actually, cold Lake Michigan is a great idea. After my second marathon, my buddy waded into the hotel pool - in December. I thought he was crazy. Me, I took a warm shower. Guess which one of could walk the next day and which couldn't? A lot of folks swear by ice baths after a marathon.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm definitely planning on the ice bath. The pool would probably be too warm. I need to find out if there is beach access near the race finish. I would totally crawl my way in. It would be sorta symbolic--with the exception of my first year of college and my semester in the UK I've always lived within a mile or two of the waters of Lake MI.

~ Sarah Kay

I suggest buying a tent and going the KOA route ;-). Just find a KOA site with a pool. There then is always... www.couchsurfing.com find someone with a pool. Big grin

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha...probably not too many KOA campgrounds near downtown Milwaukee. Plus it can get pretty chilly in a tent in early Oct. during the wee hours. That couch surfing site is really neat. If I didn't have a rugrat I'd definitely be up for that sort of thing. I LOVED staying in hostels in the UK--wish we had more hostel-type lodging options in the US. I think the only ones are in big cities.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Huh? The main hotel near the start of your marathon has a pool. Evil grin
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I don't have a death wish...yet. Maybe in '09. Assuming a flat, "easy" marathon doesn't kill me first... Wink

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

At $100 extra for a pool, I would skip it and stay at the cheaper place and then sneak over and use the pool at another hotel if you wanted to.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

At $100 extra for a pool, I would skip it and stay at the cheaper place and then sneak over and use the pool at another hotel if you wanted to.
                        Ha! That's a good thought. Why didn't I think of that? Though I have a feeling there won't be much in the way of subtle sneaking around going on for me after that...more like trudging, limping, groaning, wailing, whimpering--hard to be stealthy under the circumstances. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Huh? The main hotel near the start of your marathon has a pool.
                          doh, fixed
                            I would say a hot tub would be more desirable than the pool. Both, if you can. But the cold lake sounds good, too. Just make sure to have a change of clothes at the finish line to warm up again in.
                            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                              I would say a hot tub would be more desirable than the pool. Both, if you can. But the cold lake sounds good, too. Just make sure to have a change of clothes at the finish line to warm up again in.
                              I've heard a hot tub is a TERRIBLE idea after a marathon. Your legs are pretty inflamed from the marathon effort and the hot tub actually makes it worse. Not to mention the hot tub actually dehydrates you a bit, which is not what you're looking for either. http://walking.about.com/od/marathontraining/a/marathonwalk21.htm I just ran a HM and went in the hotel pool and it was very nice. Not quite an ice bath, but it was cool and my legs felt pretty good.
                              PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
                                I've heard a hot tub is a TERRIBLE idea after a marathon. Your legs are pretty inflamed from the marathon effort and the hot tub actually makes it worse. Not to mention the hot tub actually dehydrates you a bit, which is not what you're looking for either. http://walking.about.com/od/marathontraining/a/marathonwalk21.htm I just ran a HM and went in the hotel pool and it was very nice. Not quite an ice bath, but it was cool and my legs felt pretty good.
                                I've never heard that before. I've usually alternated the cool/cold and the hot - and it's worked good for me. In fact, my best recovery from a marathon was when I went back and forth several times, not just once - an out of season pool (temps most likely in the high 40's to low 50's), the hot tub, pool, hot tub, etc. I've done a similar thing in a hotel bath tub, too.
                                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado