Ran My First Half... Now What? (Read 165 times)

It's okay for easy runs to be slow, right?  I really struggle with pacing, but if my half marathon pace was 9:10, then it's okay if some of my easy runs are 10 min/mil or so, right?  I find that my pace really varies day to day, so what feels easy can be anything from 9:15-10:30, depending on the time of day, how much the baby let me sleep, etc.

With a race pace of 9:10 you should be VERY HAPPY with a training pace of 10 to 11...       AGAIN, the Hanson Half Marathon method has paces for your goals...and the easy paces are extremely easy.    Look them up on the pace chart in the book and you can see what your 'target' paces should be and they'll be SLOWER than you think.    This would be a very good guideline for you to use for your daily runs and mileage build up.

Also, almost EVERY top runner (and the three elites runners that I know personally - and talk to often) all say one of the biggest mistakes made by  amateur runners is trying to run too fast too often and not running slow enough on the slow runs...

So - don't hesitate to run much slower than your race pace and you'll bet plenty of benefit.

Champions are made when no one is watching

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I completely believe you!  It just seems to be so counterintuitive, doesn't it?  Nice, though, because I know I don't really have to concentrate to hit an easy pace, so I can focus on not falling over in the dark, and recovery is a lot easier, so I can work up to running six days a week.